Cracked Glass and damaged screen. Suggestions for repair?

ggoomani

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
My epic is i otherwise good shape. The glass cracked and the screen is inoperable, However, it turns on and receives calls and messages. It just isn't possible to access the touch screen.

I've thought about doing a repair myself as the teardown looks straightforward. Has anyone swapped screens, Or swap the the main board. from an old epic bought off ebay?

If anyone has an inoperable epic with an undamaged screen, let's make a deal.

teejmac

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have insurance with sprint that is considered physical damage and you will have to pay your $100 deductible. As a sprint tech, I am not a fan of that rule, TSP's and LCD's are really easy to fix, I usually just replace the whole front housing with another phone that is being sent back or with a part we have in stock.

I do not know how much the whole front housing, the TSP's or the LCD's go for individually but replacing the whole front housing is quite easy.

If you are going to replace just the TSP or the LCD in it, it will be a little bit tougher because there are a lot of ribbons connected with the LCD and the boards and housing around it.

The hands down easiest way to do it is just to get another epic and do a board swap or get the front housing with the slider on it. You could probably just go to youtube and search up a video how to take them apart.

Another options is to maybe call your local sprint repair store and see if you can buy the part and pay the repair fee.

Let me know how everything goes.

ggoomani

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful advice. Boy I have had an adventure.

1st. Several Sprint stores refused to fix it and stated that I have to buy a new device.
2nd. I found a local cell phone repair store that said it would charge $165.
3rd. Didn't want to pay $165, so I bought a refurb Samsung Transform (what a lesson)... despite our occasional complaints about the Epic's issues... the limited internal storage of the Transform was a disaster. I can only imagine how much better the SGSII series must be if the step down from Epic to Transform was so dramatic).

4th. Finally found a reseller on ebay that is selling housing.. I guess it just requires board swap and connecting some ribbons.

5th. Finally at ease knowing that I can fix my epic for a lower cost than what Sprint charges to customers who have insurance.

6th Selling my rooted and tweaked (but still frustrating) Transform on ebay. Probably suited for a casual user who only likes to text, make calls, and navigate, and doesn't mind apps taking 5 seconds to respond...Nothing more.