[GINGERBREAD][EL30] Official EL30 Gingerbread Samsung Epic 4g

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes. :( I hate it!! That was one of my favorite features. It just doesn't do my wallpaper justice anymore....

That's weird... Just picked up my daughters replacement epic from the sprint store and it was pre loaded with EL30. Her scrolling wallpaper works just fine. No different than before as far as how it scrolls.

Just flash it...

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Help. I think I need some instructions.

I did not root my phone (I'm new to all of this), but I did follow the videos awhile ago to install CWM to apply the GPS Fix.

I got the OTA push a few days ago, but waited until now to try to uninstall the GPS fix. However, I think I copied the wrong GPS file to my phone before trying the OTA install. I ran oldgps.zip, not removeGPSFIX.zip (or whatever the actual names are).

The OTA update failed, so I went back and finally found the removegpsfix.zip and copied that to my phone.

I don't know what to do next. I am not getting the OTA update anymore. I get the message that I have the current version.

I'm reading about manually pushing the EL30 file by renaming it to Update.zip, but I'm unclear about where to get that file and then how to launch it. Is it something I do from CWM or from something else?

Desperate thanks!

Steve S

The oldgps file is the correct way to revert your gpsd file back to EL22 version (needed for the update to work).

Follow the instructions in this thread POST #1 to download the EL30 update file, rename it and manually update your phone if the OTA isn't working for you.

srschacher

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Vinman,

Thanks for replying.

I am not rooted, but did install CWM so I could apply the initial GPS Fix. This resulted in no longer having the stock recovery in order to manually update to EL30.

I initally used CWM to run the oldgps patch, but the OTA update did not work after that. I renstalled the GPS Fix so I could continue using GPS. I since found another fix called Remove_GPS_Fix. Perhaps this is slightly different than oldgps?

Regardless, I just received another OTA push this morning, so I will be able to try the fix again. I am going to wait until Sunday, as I need my phone to work as is until then.

So my quandry now is which GPS Fix should I try this time? I am going to try the one I did NOT use last time and see how the OTA goes.

I'll report back on Sunday.

Thanks again for checking in.

Steve

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Vinman,

Thanks for replying.

I am not rooted, but did install CWM so I could apply the initial GPS Fix. This resulted in no longer having the stock recovery in order to manually update to EL30.

I initally used CWM to run the oldgps patch, but the OTA update did not work after that. I renstalled the GPS Fix so I could continue using GPS. I since found another fix called Remove_GPS_Fix. Perhaps this is slightly different than oldgps?

Regardless, I just received another OTA push this morning, so I will be able to try the fix again. I am going to wait until Sunday, as I need my phone to work as is until then.

So my quandry now is which GPS Fix should I try this time? I am going to try the one I did NOT use last time and see how the OTA goes.

I'll report back on Sunday.

Thanks again for checking in.

Steve

Yes if you had it before, you will notice that EL30 is not as good as the fix, so you will want to reapply it after installing EL30.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes if you had it before, you will notice that EL30 is not as good as the fix, so you will want to reapply it after installing EL30.

I've had terrible luck with Odin. It bricked 2 out of 3 epics I used it on. My only epic that survived Odin, was just replaced by sprint. I will never use Odin again.

Can the gps fix be installed on a stock epic without the use of Odin?

Just flash it...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can the gps fix be installed on a stock epic without the use of Odin?

No they need Odin to flash CWM recovery on the device to flash the GPS fix.

Unfortunately no more loop holes/exploits to get CWM installed any other way like with Froyo/Eclair where we had OneClickRoot available.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No they need Odin to flash CWM recovery on the device to flash the GPS fix.

Unfortunately no more loop holes/exploits to get CWM installed any other way like with Froyo/Eclair where we had OneClickRoot available.

You know all about my history with Odin lol. But I read somewhere that it could be done without root so I was hopeful it could be done without Odin ... Go figure it still requires Odin.

Just flash it...

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
GPS Working Great on Stock EL30/SprintEpic4G: Two hours in the woods and trails covering 30 miles including some really thick overhead cover that taxes my old Garmin unit. Endomondo application kept the GPS fix and I got a complete mapping of my tracks. It looks like Sprint/Samsung finally fixed the GB GPS issue. Everything working fine save for the annoying indicator light that doesn't light up when the phone is charging. A quibble so I've got NOLED installed. I guess it pays to be lazy and procrastinate on the rooting until Samsung/Sprint fixed it :D Has anybody taken their stock EL30 Epic4G on a really long roadtrip to see if the fix works on interstate at speed across state lines?

bob.larson5

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
The oldgps file is the correct way to revert your gpsd file back to EL22 version (needed for the update to work).

Follow the instructions in this thread POST #1 to download the EL30 update file, rename it and manually update your phone if the OTA isn't working for you.

I am in the same situation (EI22 with the GPS_FIX.zip applied) and having the same update problem. I have tried using oldgps.zip several times and every OTA attempt fails. I have downloaded the zip file from POST #1 and tried it and it is not getting me to EL30 either.

What else could it be? What info can I provide to help debug this?

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Been using rooted EL30 for a while, since shortly after I got the OTA update notice.

Still have keyboard lag, not as bad as it was on unrooted EC05 or EI22 without a keyboard fix.

What's available for keyboard lag fixing on EL30? Bit of a pain to have to slow down typing to avoid missed characters, even if I don't have to go as slow as on stock EC05.

Galane

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Do apps that were installed form the Amazon Appstore get backed up too?

What about apps that you've already moved to the SD card, how are they handled by App Saver? Are they backed up too?

Thanks.

Amazon Appstore remembers all the apps you've purchased or "purchased" for free. All you need to do is download the Appstore app and use it to redownload your apps.

It's better at this than the Android Market, which forgot some of my apps when I had to wipe the phone going back to stock EC05 for the EI22 update.

My problem with Appstore is there's no way to un-buy apps I don't want! Several crappy free apps sit there in the list, begging me to re-download them when I'd much rather they'd go away permanently.

Remember the Chuck Woolery years of Wheel of Fortune when the contestants had to spend their winnings on prizes? "You bought that, it's yours to keep!". Amazon Appstore is like that.

lbus42

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by rando991
Yes, you need to ODIN back to EC05, apply the update to EI22 and then go ahead and apply the update to EL30 (it's already out and you don't have to wait for the OTA). Then you will want to flash the new kernel, CWM 5.2.0.7, Superuser, and the EI22 GPS Fix.

I have gone through the steps and have successfully updated to EL30. However, I can't seem to find the new kernel that is referenced by rando991. I also am having trouble locating CWM 5.2.0.7. If someone could provide a link to these items, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you for all your hard work on these updates.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with gps on EL30? From what I know gps was legitimately fixed in that build, and in a way that doesn't excessively drain battery like the previous EI22 fix.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
What's wrong with gps on EL30? From what I know gps was legitimately fixed in that build, and in a way that doesn't excessively drain battery like the previous EI22 fix.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

It prevents a lock on anything more than 4 satellites when it could lock on to all visible (anywhere from 6-10). Yes, it saves battery when locked on, however, it will cause nav apps to lock or freeze when it goes down to 3 or less, now your GPS will search longer so I think the even the supposed savings of the battery is negated when the GPS has to search.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Originally Posted by rando991
Yes, you need to ODIN back to EC05, apply the update to EI22 and then go ahead and apply the update to EL30 (it's already out and you don't have to wait for the OTA). Then you will want to flash the new kernel, CWM 5.2.0.7, Superuser, and the EI22 GPS Fix.

I have gone through the steps and have successfully updated to EL30. However, I can't seem to find the new kernel that is referenced by rando991. I also am having trouble locating CWM 5.2.0.7. If someone could provide a link to these items, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you for all your hard work on these updates.

You sure didn't look very hard. It's the FIRST sticky in the Rooting the Epic link: anyway here's the link: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...uide-gingerbread-rooting-samsung-epic-4g.html
Both links to both files are there.

Reactions: lbus42

lbus42

May 9, 2011
Visit site

lbus42

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the reply, but I did look for quite a long time. I also have looked at the link you just refered to. It talks about those files, but nowhere does it have a clickable link to download them.

I was having a dumb attack. Somehow when I clicked on the link to the Root Guide you gave, I ended up on page 2 of it and that's why I couldn't find the links to the kernel and CWM. I just opened up the Root Guide again and this time I saw all the links.

Thanks for your help.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It prevents a lock on anything more than 4 satellites when it could lock on to all visible (anywhere from 6-10). Yes, it saves battery when locked on, however, it will cause nav apps to lock or freeze when it goes down to 3 or less, now your GPS will search longer so I think the even the supposed savings of the battery is negated when the GPS has to search.

I had this problem in EI22, but have not experienced this issue at all in EL30 and I use my GPS pretty much daily for at least an hour at a time, sometimes more. I ran the GPS fix in EI22, but am running completely stock EL30.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma