[GINGERBREAD][EL30] Official EL30 Gingerbread Samsung Epic 4g

CypressJohn

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Much appreciated. As a noob I was very worried about getting EI22 back to original config so I could eventually let it update to EL30.

The oldgps file worked great and got me back to standard - waiting for the re-push to EL30 as it seems to ask several times a day.

GPSfix definately worked wonders to the GPS quality on EI22. I'll try EL30 GPS as it is for a few days, then install the fix if needed.

Battery life issues from GPSfix wasn't an issue in the car due to the charger, and it worked awesome for 12 hours at a time. I did have to turn off the display on long trips as it was draining the battery faster than the charger could charge (slightly, over a very long trip).

Thanks TONS - you guys rock! But now my expectations for the GPS are very high ...

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem in EI22, but have not experienced this issue at all in EL30 and I use my GPS pretty much daily for at least an hour at a time, sometimes more. I ran the GPS fix in EI22, but am running completely stock EL30.

That's great! Would you mind though and download a free app called GPS Status and Toolbox? It will show how many satellites are visible and how many you are locked onto. Green is locked, but there is a number to the right that shows how many. I tried stock EL30 on both our phones for a few days...day 1 I could get only 6 out of 10 to lock (and that was enough), but the next day I could only get 4, then the next all day could only get 2...not enough to complete the nav solution...as you have to have at the minimum 3 triangulations and one timing judge (4 total) in any gps scenario.
Hence, I installed the GPS_fix, and am getting fast, 9/10 locks when I need them. I keep GPS integrated all the time and since CIQ Agent was removed in EL30, I am getting great battery life (I do and previously have, freeze certain services like DRM and SNSservice).

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Much appreciated. As a noob I was very worried about getting EI22 back to original config so I could eventually let it update to EL30.

The oldgps file worked great and got me back to standard - waiting for the re-push to EL30 as it seems to ask several times a day.

GPSfix definately worked wonders to the GPS quality on EI22. I'll try EL30 GPS as it is for a few days, then install the fix if needed.

Battery life issues from GPSfix wasn't an issue in the car due to the charger, and it worked awesome for 12 hours at a time. I did have to turn off the display on long trips as it was draining the battery faster than the charger could charge (slightly, over a very long trip).

Thanks TONS - you guys rock! But now my expectations for the GPS are very high ...

If you noticed the problem in EI22, then you probably won't be satisfied for long in EL30 due to the GPS. Until the issue is addressed in the next update, you will be limited to 4 of 10 locks. On days where you can lock onto 4 and stay on 4, gps performance will be great, but on days when you can only lock up 2, you will want the fix again.

TheLittleStar

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
That's weird... Just picked up my daughters replacement epic from the sprint store and it was pre loaded with EL30. Her scrolling wallpaper works just fine. No different than before as far as how it scrolls.

Just flash it...

Hmmm. That is weird. Maybe they know something we don't. I wonder what the difference is.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That's great! Would you mind though and download a free app called GPS Status and Toolbox? It will show how many satellites are visible and how many you are locked onto. Green is locked, but there is a number to the right that shows how many. I tried stock EL30 on both our phones for a few days...day 1 I could get only 6 out of 10 to lock (and that was enough), but the next day I could only get 4, then the next all day could only get 2...not enough to complete the nav solution...as you have to have at the minimum 3 triangulations and one timing judge (4 total) in any gps scenario.
Hence, I installed the GPS_fix, and am getting fast, 9/10 locks when I need them. I keep GPS integrated all the time and since CIQ Agent was removed in EL30, I am getting great battery life (I do and previously have, freeze certain services like DRM and SNSservice).

7 out of 11 and it was fairly constant.

bahl85

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I maybe a little slow with this stuff, but I can't get the update to work. I put the GPSFix onto my phone (which still has EI22) with ACSRecovery 5 v1.0.0.0 CWM6 Based, and I feel like I've done the right steps, but I have to be missing something.

If I try putting the update.zip by itself using ACSRecovery on I get an error talking about gpsd. I have successfully put on oldgps.zip. I then follow up with update.zip and I get this about the error:

apply_patch_check ("BML:boot:a whole bunch of random letters and numbers)
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip

I also tried it with the remove_GPS_Fix.zip file and got the same error.

Am I missing something? Sorry for such a noob question if this is an 'easy' fix.

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I maybe a little slow with this stuff, but I can't get the update to work. I put the GPSFix onto my phone (which still has EI22) with ACSRecovery 5 v1.0.0.0 CWM6 Based, and I feel like I've done the right steps, but I have to be missing something.

If I try putting the update.zip by itself using ACSRecovery on I get an error talking about gpsd. I have successfully put on oldgps.zip. I then follow up with update.zip and I get this about the error:

apply_patch_check ("BML:boot:a whole bunch of random letters and numbers)
E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip

I also tried it with the remove_GPS_Fix.zip file and got the same error.

Am I missing something? Sorry for such a noob question if this is an 'easy' fix.

Are you trying to run the UPDATE.ZIP for EL30 AFTER you put on the GPS fix? At first I thought you were saying you were getting errors trying to install the GPS fix, but re-reading your post it looks like you're getting errors trying to update to EL30? If that is correct, you can't. You have to uninstall all of the GPS fix, the file puts in a replacement to the gps file and it adds a new library. I don't know if the oldgps.zip does all of this. If not, you will have to do it manually or reinstall the ROM. Now you don't have to go all the way back, just follow the instructions for installing stock EL30, THEN apply the GPS fix.

bahl85

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Are you trying to run the UPDATE.ZIP for EL30 AFTER you put on the GPS fix? At first I thought you were saying you were getting errors trying to install the GPS fix, but re-reading your post it looks like you're getting errors trying to update to EL30? If that is correct, you can't. You have to uninstall all of the GPS fix, the file puts in a replacement to the gps file and it adds a new library. I don't know if the oldgps.zip does all of this. If not, you will have to do it manually or reinstall the ROM. Now you don't have to go all the way back, just follow the instructions for installing stock EL30, THEN apply the GPS fix.

Thanks for the reply. You're right in saying I am having trouble trying to update to EL30. I have the "GPS_FIX" folder with its various folders and files that were installed when putting on the fix months ago in my main (root) folder on my SD card. After reading yesterday, I downloaded Remove_GPS_fix.zip from here and oldgps.zip from here as well as the file from post 1 (here) which I renamed update.zip and placed all 3 files in my root folder.

I was just mentioning that I tried to do the update.zip without the fixes, and saw that it was indeed the gpsd file as the error report in ACSRecovery said. I then ran (did the whole camera+vol down+power > install from zip) Remove_GPS_fix.zip which ACSRecovery said was successful, then I tried to do the same thing and run update.zip which gave me that error. I also tried the other file, oldgps.zip which also was said to be successful, then I tried to run update.zip which gave me the same error again.

Can I just manually delete the "GPS_FIX" folder in my root folder and then copy and paste the original gpsd file from here into the right folder? (Though I don't know which folder that would be)

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. You're right in saying I am having trouble trying to update to EL30. I have the "GPS_FIX" folder with its various folders and files that were installed when putting on the fix months ago in my main (root) folder on my SD card. After reading yesterday, I downloaded Remove_GPS_fix.zip from here and oldgps.zip from here as well as the file from post 1 (here) which I renamed update.zip and placed all 3 files in my root folder.

I was just mentioning that I tried to do the update.zip without the fixes, and saw that it was indeed the gpsd file as the error report in ACSRecovery said. I then ran (did the whole camera+vol down+power > install from zip) Remove_GPS_fix.zip which ACSRecovery said was successful, then I tried to do the same thing and run update.zip which gave me that error. I also tried the other file, oldgps.zip which also was said to be successful, then I tried to run update.zip which gave me the same error again.

Can I just manually delete the "GPS_FIX" folder in my root folder and then copy and paste the original gpsd file from here into the right folder? (Though I don't know which folder that would be)

Thanks for helping!

the GPS Fix substitutes the system/vendor/bin/gpsd file and adds system/lib/hw/gps.goldfish.so. You would have to replace the new gpsd file with the old one and delete the added system library file. I would also delete any folders or files with the GPS Fix. If this doesn't work you will have to restore to stock, which now all you have to do is flash the EL30 stock tar.

bahl85

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for helping out... when I search my entire SD card the only place I have a file called "gpsd" is in the H:\GPS_FIX\system\vendor\bin folder (which also houses the H:\GPS_FIX\system\lib\hw\gps.goldfish.so file as well). You mentioned that I should delete any files or folders with the GPS Fix, but wouldn't that also mean that I would be deleting the gpsd file I'm trying to replace? Or is there a totally different location on my phone that my computer just isn't detecting where another gpsd file could be?

In short, I understand that I need to get the original gpsd into my phone and get all things GPS Fix out. I have the 'new' gpsd file as well as an added gps.goldfish.so file from the fix both located in H:\GPS_FIX\. If I delete H:\GPS_FIX I will delete both files. Where would I put the original gpsd file?

(H:\ is what my computer calls it - and I'm just using the standard windows search to find files named gpsd on the card). If there's no hope, I'll just have to go to stock I suppose. Figure I would ask one more clarifying question.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
No I would not delete the gpsd file. That original HAS to be there for GPS to work. You need to delete any files left behind by the GPS Fix, like the folder, the zip file and the extra lib entry. You should be able to get a copy of the original GPS file gpsd from the Old GPS zip file. I've even seen it somewhere on XDA as a single file. Just copy that original gpsd over the gpsd fixed file and delete the extra lib file and try it. If that doesn't work back your data up and just reflash EL30. After your update then you can run the GPS Fix.

pugsly8422

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am quite new to this, and definitely lacking in intelligence. On a scale from 1-10, I'd probably say I'm a 2, maybe even a 1. I'm hoping I can get (or be directed to) step by step instructions on how to install EL30. I am currently running the Legendary Rom. After reading multiple threads, and most of this thread, I realize I need to either go back to stock, or go back to EC05 (not even sure what that is) and flash a kernel that will allow me to update to EL30. What I am lacking is the knowledge and experience to save all of my games and apps, as well as my contacts (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I assume it's not a problem), go back to stock or the EC05, flash the kernel, then reinstall my rom (I can probably find this information somewhere on the forum since I managed it once) and get my apps and games back (as well as my contacts if I need to). Basically everything :( I realize this is a lot of information for someone, so I will understand if it gets "passed over". To be honest, I am happy with my phone the way it is, but I am just tired of the EL30 update constantly popping up and having to reboot and take out my battery.

Thanks for reading.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I am quite new to this, and definitely lacking in intelligence. On a scale from 1-10, I'd probably say I'm a 2, maybe even a 1. I'm hoping I can get (or be directed to) step by step instructions on how to install EL30. I am currently running the Legendary Rom. After reading multiple threads, and most of this thread, I realize I need to either go back to stock, or go back to EC05 (not even sure what that is) and flash a kernel that will allow me to update to EL30. What I am lacking is the knowledge and experience to save all of my games and apps, as well as my contacts (I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so I assume it's not a problem), go back to stock or the EC05, flash the kernel, then reinstall my rom (I can probably find this information somewhere on the forum since I managed it once) and get my apps and games back (as well as my contacts if I need to). Basically everything :( I realize this is a lot of information for someone, so I will understand if it gets "passed over". To be honest, I am happy with my phone the way it is, but I am just tired of the EL30 update constantly popping up and having to reboot and take out my battery.

Thanks for reading.

There's a link on this forum on how to restore a bricked phone. You should go there and read the step by step instructions. Basically all you have to go back to stock is: get the PC drivers on your PC for the phone, buy a good USB cable from Radio Shack (don't use the one that came with your phone), download a program called ODIN and the stock EL30 Tar. Those files are on the link above. Before my first time, I CAREFULLY read all the steps, even printed them out. Did a dry run once or twice, and then plunged in. If you read the steps carefully, you will know how NOT to brick your phone and it should all go well after that. Just make sure to download everything you need ahead of time...now for back up get the PRO ROOTED version of Titanium Backup. It is GREAT! Back up all your apps, then create an "update.zip" of the Titanium Backup program with all your records and rename it to Titanium backup as the menu suggests. Now reflash your stock EL30, then re-root your phone and reinstall Titanium back up from the zip file you created of it (don't just redownload it from the market...this backup you made has a record of everything you've already done. Then go into it and reinstall "app + data" and everything is back. Incidently, you never have to go this far for contacts as long as you are saving them to Google and not your phone. You will always have access to your contacts no matter if you have to get another phone!
PS: here's the link to get you started! http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...68-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually, thinking about it more, I don't think you have to root to use the unroot version of Titanium Backup, but I haven't tried it.

crutnacker

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there a thread that walks an idiot like me step by step how to remove the GPS fix so that my phone will install the GPS fix update? I did the GPS fix based on very clear instructions, but I can't find clear instructions for removing it. I am on EL22 (?) and my phone wants to install the update but apparently the GPSFix killed its ability to do so.

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
"Remove the GPS fix so you can install the GPS fix update?" I'm not sure I understand your question. The GPS fix is the GPS fix...there is no fix for the GPS other than that. If you are referring to wanting to let your phone install the Gingerbread update (EL30), that is another story. EL30 does NOT fix the GPS. It does other things, but the jury is out on fixing the GPS...I have 2 Epics and neither GPS was fixed by EL30. So I had to reinstall the GPS fix file on both. If you are trying to remove the GPS fix, you're going to have to root, then replace the gpsd file with the old one and remove a library entry (there are instructions already posted on how to do this). Another method that would probably work without rooting would be to do a factory reset.

heck, I just did a search for you, here's the link, the rest is up to you: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321049&highlight=removing+the+gps+fix&page=9

Last edited:

nlsfc07

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Can you be more specific about this step where you said, "I took the above original GPS file from EL22 posted in the quote and replaced it in the original GPS fix zip script."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae