Phone doesnt Boot up. Black Screen

jose14906

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I have this Epic 4G . All of a sudden it started doing this.
I turn it on and it boots up to the samsung logo and then the screen turns black but then the bottom buttons light up. It stays like that for about 5 minutes and then reboots by its self and does the same thing.

I dont know what the problem is, and have no idea what to do :'(

Please Help.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the rom became corrupted. It's a pretty easy fix using ODIN. The directions are a sticky, and I'm sure PaulG will chime in with the exact link, and which procedure to use. You likely will lose everything you had on your phone, but the process won't touch your SD card, so pictures, music, and such will still be there. Your contact list should also be synced with your google account. If restoring with ODIN doesn't fix it, than a trip to Sprint is in order, as it'll be a hardware problem then.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have this Epic 4G . All of a sudden it started doing this.
I turn it on and it boots up to the samsung logo and then the screen turns black but then the bottom buttons light up. It stays like that for about 5 minutes and then reboots by its self and does the same thing.

I dont know what the problem is, and have no idea what to do :'(

Please Help.

Here is the link for Odin and the factory restore that ratsttam spoke of.

[How to] Factory Restore (or Fix a Bricked Phone)

Use procedure #1 for Froyo EC05 and then from there you can update to Gingerbread.

jose14906

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I cant get into download mode to do this. For some reason, I get into recovery mode, the computer does detect the device as an unknown device, but windows disables it because it "malfunctioned" .

When in the system recovery, at the bottom it says.

E: Can't Mount /dev/block/stI10
(Invalid Argument)

#Manual Mode#

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You want it in download mode, not recovery. Download is holding the "1" key then press power. You may need to use different cables/ports before the computer will recognize it. Samsung is pretty bad about drivers and just working in windows :-/

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just reflashed my rom using clockwork recovery. no need to wipe my phone.

The OP didn't indicate that they were rooted (and therefore likely didn't have CWM installed). If the ROM was corrupted, a "factory" reset with the OEM recovery won't help that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke