How keep side buttons from interfering with typing?

mlouie

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of problem typing with the hardware keyboard on my Samsung Epic because I can't find anywhere to put my non-typing fingers to hold the Epic that I don't end up pushing some of the buttons on the side of the Epic and then causing things to happen that I don't want to happen. I don't understand what these buttons are doing or why they are causing so many actions. It just seems like every possible button on the side of the Epic causes some action if I accidentally press it while typing, such as when typing a text message. Is there any way to turn off the functionality of these buttons when I have the keyboard slid out? This is really frustrating for me--it's led me to use the onscreen keyboard more instead of the hardware one, even though the hardware one is a much easier one to type on. It seems like I can't find a way to hold the Epic securely while typing without coming in contact with one of the buttons on the side.

CharleneTX

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of a way to disable the buttons (Tasker, maybe?). How are you holding your phone? When I use the phyiscal keyboard my fingers and hands aren't near the side buttons. Can't take a picture holding the phone while I'm...uh...holding the phone. :) I'll try a description:

hold your hands parallel to the floor, palms up, finger tips touching
from that position, the phone goes on the fingers, the sides of the keyboard resting near the joint where the fingers meet the hand
thumbs on the keyboard
adjust to your comfort level: tilt the hands up towards you and move the wrists towards each other

From this position, I tend to move my index fingers to the top of the keyboard behind the screen. That puts my left finger near the power button, but holding, not griping, so I don't press the power button.

Hope that makes sense,
--Charlene

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2