bricked phone, battery dead, what to do?

Duby1186

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
i tried up update my epic last night because its been well over year. it started to get glitchy when i was restoring apps and data and i never got my contacts back either. anyways, no biggie, i went to restore it from the backup in cwm. reboot and it doesnt go past samsung start screen. have had this happen before, no harm, woke up to fix it and odin back to stock.

my battery died and it wont charge till i can fix it. i dont really have friends with an epic but does the evo use the same kind of battery? im wondering if i can figure out what other phones use the same battery so i could ask my friends if i could barrow their charged battery so i can restore my phone. otherwise i have no idea how to fix this. i know how so i dont wish to take it to sprint. i just need the juice to power it. any ideas?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Take the battery out, and hook up the cable to the computer, launch ODIN, and get 'er fixed. You don't need a battery (I actually have problems if I use ODIN with the battery in).
If you just need a new battery, the 1800mah battery in the E4GT is the same but slightly more powerful. Other models (especially the HTC Evo) will not be compatible.

If you're still not getting anything with just the cable attached (no dings or anything from your computer), than it's very likely something got toasted. I lost my Epic a few months ago to the same symptoms as you. They determined there was no water damage, no sign of abuse, so they just ordered me a replacement.

Duby1186

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
thank you for this reminder! i totally forgot about not needing the battery. ive odin before without it and just been so long i forgot. :) i got it to work. and able to charge it now.

now gotta reroot...i think? yeah then restore my data and such. still looking into the new roms. its on 2.3.6 and i know higher newer versions of android are like 4.0+ good to be working tho! thanks!

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
thank you for this reminder! i totally forgot about not needing the battery. ive odin before without it and just been so long i forgot. :) i got it to work. and able to charge it now.

now gotta reroot...i think? yeah then restore my data and such. still looking into the new roms. its on 2.3.6 and i know higher newer versions of android are like 4.0+ good to be working tho! thanks!

Certainly glad you got power through the cable. I wasn't so lucky when it happened to me.

As far as the roms go, there's quite a few. I'm running the "stock fc09 mtd, deodex, prerooted". My particular Epic doesn't play well with the ICS based roms, I will get voicemails, but no missed calls, in the same locations that I never miss calls (@home!) on GB based roms, both Cyanogen 7 or TouchWiz based ones.