Off network Galaxy S

Revyloution

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My mom upgraded, and changed carriers recently. Were left with a spare Galaxy S with the slide out keyboard.

I'm setting it up as an off network wifi device for my daughter. Right now, I just have airplane mode turned on. She can access local wifi for skyping, as well as market place, games, internet, etc. Im wondering if there are any good mods for off network? Should I flash a new ROM or just leave as is?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Each rom has it's advantages and disadvantages. As far as it being on or off network, it really doesn't matter much. Android doesn't care. Since it's for your daughter, leaving it stock won't hurt, and it's still plenty capable even with the stock rom for most games and social networking.

There are also offline navigation software such as Navigon and Copilot (the latter I could never get to work), so if having a GPS is something you'll want/need, it can stand in that role too.

One thing to keep in mind however, is that a non-active CDMA phone, can still call 911, so depending on the age and maturity of your daughter, this may be a good time to talk about that so she doesn't get herself in trouble.

Revyloution

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Great advice, I didnt know that 911 worked on them, I assume Ill have to teach her to turn off airplane mode.

Or... does leaving airplane mode off cause problems? I assumed that it would just save on battery life if I left it off.

The stock rom is working just fine so far. I think I'll stick with an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

She did have one more question, is there any texting apps that work without a phone number? Maybe if I get her one of those google numbers, can she text with that?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Airplane mode should be OK for her. Turning I've had it turn itself off after restarting occationally. So it's just something to be mindful of.

There isn't much that REQUIRES 4.0 (ICS), with the notable exception being Chrome browser. But if she's not used to using it on there, than no harm. Firefox works pretty much as well.

I would highly recommend using GV for texting. It works great on the phone, and can even be used from a desktop computer. If she ever activates her own phone on Sprint, she'll be able to integrate that number to the phone, or just use GV's features on any other phone down the road. There are also some SIP clients that will let her actually TALK over wifi, using her GV number. I use Talkatone when I'm in good wifi coverage AND can't get good Sprint/VZW coverage (Hello Lowes!)

Revyloution

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on Talkatone, works like a charm for outgoing calls. Can you set it up to receive incoming? When I dial her GV # it goes straight to voicemail.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on Talkatone, works like a charm for outgoing calls. Can you set it up to receive incoming? When I dial her GV # it goes straight to voicemail.

Honestly, I don't know. I did the integration, so when a call comes in, the phone grabs it no matter what. I would imagine that as long as it's opened, it should be listening (at least thats how it works on my old iphone turned ipod touch)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance