Any word on an indicator LED for the Epic 4G?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Was wondering if the Epic has some sort of indicator LED. The Moment didn't, but I'm hoping this time around Samsung included it!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Check out the review, you can see a red indicator light... so far so good at multi-color led :) It wasn't plugged in either, so its not just a battery indicator light.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Check out the review, you can see a red indicator light... so far so good at multi-color led :) It wasn't plugged in either, so its not just a battery indicator light.

What review shows this? And how does a visible red LED indicate that there will be capability for "multi-colored" led.. we already know it has red & blue but no evidence of any other colors..

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the LED is capable of only red and blue. If you go to the dialer and type: *#0*# it will take you to an LCD TEST menu. Click on LED on the bottom in the middle, and you can test the three main colors of RED, GREEN, and BLUE; as well as the four Sub colors of YELLOW, MAGENTA, CYAN, and WHITE. If you test all of these colors, you will find that only RED, BLUE, and MAGENTA work. Of course MAGENTA is RED and BLUE turned on at the same time. Therefore I conclude that the LED is capable of only red and blue. I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the LED is capable of only red and blue. If you go to the dialer and type: *#0*# it will take you to an LCD TEST menu. Click on LED on the bottom in the middle, and you can test the three main colors of RED, GREEN, and BLUE; as well as the four Sub colors of YELLOW, MAGENTA, CYAN, and WHITE. If you test all of these colors, you will find that only RED, BLUE, and MAGENTA work. Of course MAGENTA is RED and BLUE turned on at the same time. Therefore I conclude that the LED is capable of only red and blue. I hope this helps. :)

Man, that sucks. I was hoping for more colors, but thanks for pointing this out.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
..............If you go to the dialer and type: *#0*# it will take you to an LCD TEST menu. Click on LED on the bottom in the middle, and you can test the three main colors of RED, GREEN, and BLUE; as well as the four Sub colors of YELLOW, MAGENTA, CYAN, and WHITE. I hope this helps. :)

Wow this is an excellent tip..

I think you should post that code as a separate thread.. all kinds of system calibration tests.. a well deserved thanks.. how did you find this *#0*# out?

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the tip! All kinds of checks in there...

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Wow this is an excellent tip..

I think you should post that code as a separate thread.. all kinds of system calibration tests.. a well deserved thanks.. how did you find this *#0*# out?

On your suggestion, I am preparing a separate thread on the Samsung Epic hash codes that I have been able to uncover and verify.

I found this code out through testing. I have been with Sprint for a while and, though I don't post often, I do lurk in forums from time to time. Samsung typically uses very similar hash codes for diagnostics and certain types of programming on their Sprint phones.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
On your suggestion, I am preparing a separate thread on the Samsung Epic hash codes that I have been able to uncover and verify.

I found this code out through testing. I have been with Sprint for a while and, though I don't post often, I do lurk in forums from time to time. Samsung typically uses very similar hash codes for diagnostics and certain types of programming on their Sprint phones.

They had similar codes for the Instinct, the Omnia, and others. Back then, breaking news was when you enabled tethering :D. Look how far we've come!

muskrat2k1

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone had any luck using blue or magenta for notifications? Handcent SMS (and possibly k9 email, I can't recall offhand) gives the option for custom color, but even using blue it didn't work. I'm guessing it's just a matter the feature not being Epic-comp yet, but if you've had success, please share!

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Instinct flashback: one guy frantically posts that he enabled Korea Mode and screwed up his phone. Others post that they called Sprint for their MSL and got mixed responses...

Wow, I made a good choice with Samsung! Learning curve certainly is small for hardware usage.:)

Instinct... **shudders**

Bad memories