Build quality

bucc0303

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an evo, but I am very interested in this phone. My concern is this in reviews our hands on testimonies, they state it feels good in the hand. I would like to know if the phone is plasticy like the pre? I want to get this phone only if the build feels sturdy. Any input on this issue would be great. I was also wondering if the screen has a glass cover over the amoled screen. Again I am comparing this to the pre which was prone to scratches.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I heard That it is somewhat platicy but I would return the unit like I did and wait it out to see. You 'don't want to be stuck with the evo if it is second rate .

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I heard That it is somewhat platicy but I would return the unit like I did and wait it out to see. You 'don't want to be stuck with the evo if it is second rate .

Wow. The EVO is second rate? Qualify that statement please. Every reviewer has the EVO as the best device on the planet. CNET named it the Jesus phone. But now its second rate to a Samsung device?

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
Wow. The EVO is second rate? Qualify that statement please. Every reviewer has the EVO as the best device on the planet. CNET named it the Jesus phone. But now its second rate to a Samsung device?

Epic has the Keyboard, AMOLED, Better Graphics processor AND I've read that the camera, while lower pixels, actually takes better pictures/movies.

So, yeah, depending on your prefrences, EVO could be second rate to epic.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Epic has the Keyboard, AMOLED, Better Graphics processor AND I've read that the camera, while lower pixels, actually takes better pictures/movies.

So, yeah, depending on your prefrences, EVO could be second rate to epic.

Ah, "depending," well the EVO is 3rd rate, the Galaxy S is 2nd rate, and the Intercept is 1st rate depending on your preferences :p

Seriously though, if you prefer HTC Sense, a larger screen, prefer less movable parts, and want a brand that has a tract record in the high-end smartphone arena, then the EVO's for you! It's all in the preferences. Right frankos72? ;)

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
Ah, "depending," well the EVO is 3rd rate, the Galaxy S is 2nd rate, and the Intercept is 1st rate depending on your preferences :p

Seriously though, if you prefer HTC Sense, a larger screen, prefer less movable parts, and want a brand that has a tract record in the high-end smartphone arena, then the EVO's for you! It's all in the preferences. Right frankos72? ;)

RIGHT! I prefer Physical KB and webOS. I also prefer the webOS app catalog, but the selection of apps available for android. I prefer the new hardware that all these awesome Android devices have so.... It's all in the preferences.

What about Droid X? I haven't studied it much cause I don't have VZW, but it sure is getting a lot of hype too.

As for CNET, since that's where this started, I'm not convinced that they don't get a bit of kickback for favorable articles and such. Also, At the time the article was released, IMO the EVO is the best phone available to the public.

Ultimately, we all have to accept the fact that as fast as new hardware is coming out right now, no phone will be king for more than a 4-6 months for any foreseeable future. SO unless you have loads of cash and can afford the full price, most of us will be running around with outdated phones at some point. Glad I'm a Sprint Premiere so I can get a full upgrade every year.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I did not mean the EVO is a crappy phone by any means. However, Franks said it best; better processor, better graphics, better screen, better QUALITY camera/video and a physical keyboard(which is preference) 4 inch screen vs evos 4.3 about the same thickness-- The epic sounds promising.

I like the EVO I also think I will LIKE the Epic. It's not the best phone though... the Droidx is now better than the EVO. For most of us( I live in the NYC area) we don't even have 4g so it's apples to apples.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
As for CNET, since that's where this started, I'm not convinced that they don't get a bit of kickback for favorable articles and such. Also, At the time the article was released, IMO the EVO is the best phone available to the public.

CNET rated the EVO highest of that show partially because it wasn't VAPORWARE at the CITA (?) show. Galaxy was very early, and it's apps/presentation was all a big show on stage- but appeared as lipservice from a company that had only released the Moment.

NOONE expected the Galaxy S 4+ carrier announcement - nor did they expect the hummingbird processor to truely be a better processor than the snapdragon... and then there's the baggage that comes from "Touchwiz". I think once the Galaxy has launched on all telcos, you'll see a lot of people say the phone is decent- just at the CITA- there largely wasn't enough known to give it much praise- where EVO was just around the corner ready to launch.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I did not mean the EVO is a crappy phone by any means. However, Franks said it best; better processor, better graphics, better screen, better QUALITY camera/video and a physical keyboard(which is preference) 4 inch screen vs evos 4.3 about the same thickness-- The epic sounds promising.

I like the EVO I also think I will LIKE the Epic. It's not the best phone though... the Droidx is now better than the EVO. For most of us( I live in the NYC area) we don't even have 4g so it's apples to apples.

What makes the DroidX better than the EVO? I've read that it's lighter, but it's actually a bigger phone. It has the same screen size, but the phone is BIGGER?

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well lighter is certainly a plus. The Evo needs to be lighter, at least an ounce lighter. It's amazing to think the Epic is 1.5 ounces lighter than the Evo. Pick up a Hero and Evo. Now imagine if your Evo was the same weight as the Hero. That's how much lighter 1.5 ounces is.