Galaxy S Review Gives Hint of What is To Come...

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Samsung I9000 Galaxy S review: From outer space - GSMArena.com

Above is a link to a review of the Galaxy S running Android 2.1 and TouchWiz 3.0 and it includes many screencaps and some videos. Many of these features should make their way on to the Epic. While I'm torn on the attractiveness of TouchWiz, it does have some cool features. The swype to call/message seems cool. More importantly, the Combined Mailbox would be a great feature.

I did see on one video though, that the Epic lacks the ability to add or subtract home screens. I wonder what other changes will be made by the time Epic is released. (EDIT: This feature will more than likely be available- see below.)

Last edited:

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You are probably talking about the video made my MobileBurn over at youtube which talks about Epic's lack of ability to customize the number of home screens. I saw that too and had the same question, but Shadnic noticed that someone in comments to the video said otherwise (Link to the post). So hopefully, we will have Epic with homescreen customizations enables.

I personally believe TouchWiz 3.0 is very useful and attractive interface. TouchWiz 3.0 brings lot of useful elements with it. Swipe to call/message is just one. Other is quick links to power controls right from notifications menu. Ability to add/remove homescreens, sort apps in list/grid style in app menu, jump between app pages and home screen panels by quick tap on the dot on the top of the screen (makes for easier app finding in app menu), horizontal app menu is way more useful than endless scrolling vertical grid and gives the option to have dedicated page for different kind of apps. Read this thread about TouchWiz discussion here.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You are probably talking about the video made my MobileBurn over at youtube which talks about Epic's lack of ability to customize the number of home screens. I saw that too and had the same question, but Shadnic noticed that someone in comments to the video said otherwise (Link to the post). So hopefully, we will have Epic with homescreen customizations enables.

Nice find! Thanks! I have to admit, when it comes to TouchWiz, it might not be as attractive looking as HTC Sense, but I'm getting more excited about it each time I see it.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
im up for everything touchwiz has to offer but the copy-cat iphone interface. Other than that, I really like it. Now of only the people with the Little Big Planet style Widgets would produce them publicly! I don't remember their name, though :/

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
im up for everything touchwiz has to offer but the copy-cat iphone interface. Other than that, I really like it. Now of only the people with the Little Big Planet style Widgets would produce them publicly! I don't remember their name, though :/

It's funny you call it iphonesque. I've had several phones where the grid icones on a phone scroll sideways or up and down, but always as a page. HTC Sense and the WebOS have that scrolling format, which is extremely annoying. Scrolling involves multiple taps and paying attention to when the icon pop ups. Instead with the left to you right, you just remember the page it's on.

It's a preference I know, but on the WebOS it is always inconvenient.

Darth Pooh#CB

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
It's funny you call it iphonesque. I've had several phones where the grid icones on a phone scroll sideways or up and down, but always as a page. HTC Sense and the WebOS have that scrolling format, which is extremely annoying. Scrolling involves multiple taps and paying attention to when the icon pop ups. Instead with the left to you right, you just remember the page it's on.

It's a preference I know, but on the WebOS it is always inconvenient.

Yup, number one annoyance with the webOS / Sense launchers.

At least with TW3, not only can you scroll at your own pace... but EASILY arrange by page and name them too.

I like having a GAMES only page. GPS only page. etc. etc. etc.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Yup, number one annoyance with the webOS / Sense launchers.

At least with TW3, not only can you scroll at your own pace... but EASILY arrange by page and name them too.

I like having a GAMES only page. GPS only page. etc. etc. etc.

Exactly!!! I cant understand why people keep complaining about iphone-like looks. Point is this is much more useful than endless, keep-tapping-to-stop-and-check scroll of Sense/android. Make your dedicated page of apps if you want to, else just remember which page the app is on, and tap the respective dot on top of screen and jump to that page (hopefully dot tap jump feature stays in app menu) and you got your app launched in three taps on matter which page its on. The bottom fixed bar of apps is good for accessing the most used apps from any home screen you are on on single tap.

Yes it borrows from iPhone looks, but it borrows only the things which are highly functional and useful. Besides it brings iphone-look part only in app menu and bottom launcher bar. Also, TW3.0 gives you option to uninstall a program right from the app menu itself. Samsung has taken the idea from iPhone and beautifully blended it with Android's home screen sauce. So people, see it from another point of view with open mind, give it another thought, and you just might start liking the iphone look part.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Lots of people hate on Samsung is all. I rarely heard people complain about the PRE being so iphone like- and most of the features you talk about above the pre had- but the samsung raises them one notch higher (7pages of apps!)

I heard rumours some of these features are not on the Epic- not sure why that would be- but I hope all Galaxy phones OS are as much the same as possible.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Exactly!!! I cant understand why people keep complaining about iphone-like looks. Point is this is much more useful than endless, keep-tapping-to-stop-and-check scroll of Sense/android. Make your dedicated page of apps if you want to, else just remember which page the app is on, and tap the respective dot on top of screen and jump to that page (hopefully dot tap jump feature stays in app menu) and you got your app launched in three taps on matter which page its on. The bottom fixed bar of apps is good for accessing the most used apps from any home screen you are on on single tap.

Yes it borrows from iPhone looks, but it borrows only the things which are highly functional and useful. Besides it brings iphone-look part only in app menu and bottom launcher bar. Also, TW3.0 gives you option to uninstall a program right from the app menu itself. Samsung has taken the idea from iPhone and beautifully blended it with Android's home screen sauce. So people, see it from another point of view with open mind, give it another thought, and you just might start liking the iphone look part.

I've been trying to tell this to people ever since I learned about TW 3.0

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Functionality is one thing, but they've ripped off the looks too with the boxes around the icons and dots at the top. Why not just leave the icons how they were? Wouldn't appeal to people switching from iPhones?

However, the beauty of Android is that none of this really matters. If you don't like the interface you can install a new launcher - which I will definitely be doing.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you arrange the apps in TouchWiz 3.0 like you can in iOS and WebOs? It looks to me from many of the videos that they are set in alphabetical order.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I saw a video by mobileburn which shows you can change the layout of the app menu (vertical list scroll or grid) and you can change the position of app icon, move it to the other pages, create new pages etc (but Epic seemed to lack this ability, but later on someone in video comments pointed out that it can be done by putting the phone in landscape mode first). So, I would say yes you can change the order (at least in all other galaxy S phones), but I would like someone to double confirm it in case of Epic4G.

Nickles0n

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Nice find! Thanks! I have to admit, when it comes to TouchWiz, it might not be as attractive looking as HTC Sense, but I'm getting more excited about it each time I see it.
Me too, at first i didn't like the interface at all but everything that i'm hearing about it makes it more and more attractive.