06-03-2015 08:40 PM
56 123
tools
    Without a doubt, this is one of the most discussed topics in the Android Central forums. Understandably, having come from various other Smartphone platforms (Blackberry, Windows Mobile, etc.), where task management is crucial for optimal performance and battery life, most new Android Smartphone owners have 2 basic questions:

1.) Should I use a task manager?
    2.) Which application does the best job at task management?

After digging and digging for answers to these questions, users sometimes end up frustrated and confused by conflicting information from a wide variety of sources. This usually results in a new thread on task management.

To help answer these questions (and avoid all those duplicate threads), Android Central's contributing writer and technical guru, Jerry Hildenbrand, has written this article. Please take a few minutes to read and educate yourself.

If you do choose to use a task manager, and your Galaxy S starts acting wonky, please uninstall the task manager to see if the problem goes away.

If you still have questions, or if you'd like to chime in with your own opinion and/or experiences with task managers, please post in this thread.

Cory
    cmax79 likes this.
    07-08-2010 07:08 PM
    FYI - Touchwiz comes with a built-in taskiller that you can get to by holding down the home button.
    08-19-2010 10:05 PM
    Yeah I was wondering why AC didn't touch on this in their "hands on". They even scrolled right over the widget for it
    08-19-2010 10:18 PM
    FYI - Touchwiz comes with a built-in taskiller that you can get to by holding down the home button.
    I did not know of this. Thanks for the info!
    DaEXfactoR likes this.
    08-25-2010 11:50 PM
    I did not know of this. Thanks for the info!
    There's also a samsung widget for how many apps are running. Green--yellow--red for battery consumption.
    Addie_Goodvibes likes this.
    08-26-2010 12:12 AM
    There's also a samsung widget for how many apps are running. Green--yellow--red for battery consumption.
    Thanks for more info. My short stint with the Evo is all I know about Android (plus, all the info here and many reviews). 1st day I got the Evo, I was completely clueless!
    08-26-2010 12:17 AM
    Besides the built-in widget/app, what other ones have you had a good experience with?
    08-30-2010 12:44 AM
    Honestly I dont think that epic will require one other then the built in one since it has alot of hardware to run the software.
    08-30-2010 11:46 AM
    Honestly I think if you read a good thread about power management tips, u wont need another running program to manage you're other programs for you and u can just manage them yourself you know?
    08-31-2010 01:10 AM
    the very popular advanced task killer app recently came out with advanced task killer froyo edition, im not quite sure how its supposed to work better with froyo, but im using it and my battery and memory are both pretty good, so id recommend it
    08-31-2010 01:49 AM
    I just got the Epic today and downloaded the regular Advanced Task Killer app (not froyo) and have it kill every 30 minutes right now. I haven't noticed anything behaving oddly. Battery life has been pretty good so far.
    08-31-2010 02:34 PM
    built in task manager works well enough for me
    08-31-2010 03:52 PM
    what is the best task manager for froyo?
    08-31-2010 03:54 PM
    Samsung manager is good for me. didnt have a full charge so my battery died fast on me. been charger for a couple of hours ... reading 90% now.I'm using my bt charger . did the same with my pre and it charged it prettyfast an good. might have to change if it takes to long
    08-31-2010 09:34 PM
    You honestly don't need a task killer for Android phones. Especially for phones with more than 384MB of RAM. The only time you'll need to kill a process is if it freezes.
    08-31-2010 11:25 PM
    what is the best task manager for froyo?
    If you are rooted I am really a fan of AutoKiller.

I agree that for the higher memory available on the Epic that this is probably not necessary, but it has been a life saver on my Hero.
    09-01-2010 04:54 AM
    But even with the higher memory doesnt it help with battery life. thats my reason for checking it.
    09-01-2010 05:30 AM
    The built in task manager and widget to show how many apps are running work great. This is really a big plus for TouchWiz!
    09-01-2010 06:26 AM
    the very popular advanced task killer app recently came out with advanced task killer froyo edition, im not quite sure how its supposed to work better with froyo, but im using it and my battery and memory are both pretty good, so id recommend it
    Thats because froyo doesn't natively support task managers. They had to create a new app for it.
    09-01-2010 09:18 AM
    I know that people are having issues with a task killer, but what about one that simply (or additionaly) serves as a task manager that will allow you to switch from task to task (or app to app, ones that are currently running)? Does this exist? I would love to be able to click on and go to some of the tasks in Samsung's task manager thing, but it doesn't appear to have that ability...
    09-01-2010 12:07 PM
    There is such a program, it's called Virtual Task Switcher. I love it.
    09-02-2010 11:01 AM
    Actually, thats more of just a shortcut to the Running Applications tab of the settings menu enabling you to shut off apps manually.
    09-02-2010 03:29 PM
    As someone who is currently employed in a VERY busy sprint repair center, I can tell you that advanced task killer is a bad idea. I have seen this program kill off touchscreens and even charging ports (no doubt it was at least partly due to user error as well). Removing this app has resolved many many issues. Android 2.1 does a fairly good job at killing processes when they are not being used, and with the built in process manager, you should not need anything else. 2.2 (Froyo) does an even better job and absolutely does not need any help.
    Geek Girl likes this.
    09-03-2010 04:32 AM
    As someone who is currently employed in a VERY busy sprint repair center, I can tell you that advanced task killer is a bad idea. I have seen this program kill off touchscreens and even charging ports (no doubt it was at least partly due to user error as well). Removing this app has resolved many many issues. Android 2.1 does a fairly good job at killing processes when they are not being used, and with the built in process manager, you should not need anything else. 2.2 (Froyo) does an even better job and absolutely does not need any help.
    Can stopping a software process really physically damage hardware?
    09-08-2010 11:56 PM
    Sadly the sprint store I went to for my epic was telling every epic owner to download task killer. Heck even their "advocate" was saying this when the built in samsung widget works perfect and wont kill anything that is harmful to the system.

Can stopping a software process really physically damage hardware?
    Only if the stopping of the process leaves the hardware in such a state where it is harmful or wearing. Mostly its just software issues that cause hardware to stop working (due to software error) and assumed the hardware is bad when really its the software that is the problem.
    FokisMoney likes this.
    09-09-2010 10:52 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD