YA Killin Yourself..sprint

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
First let ME start off... I'm Fine with paying more but as a business owner I think with the progress you made with EVO the strategy for the Epic 4G is far from smart. The extra $50 makes new (not upgrade) customer think twice about switching.The argument that we are paying more for a better phone is not valid because the out-right price is or was the same as any new flagship that sprint has released the past few years $499..(the evo since epic pre-order started has dropped down to $449)which is smoke and mirrors to make you believe the extra $50 is justified. So the argument by people saying your paying more for the slide out feature and front facing camera and flash is B.S. cause the outright cost for samsung galaxy s on the other cell phone companies is (ugh umm) $499 too. and thats what I have to go by, if your outright prices are the same thats telling me that they are costing you if not exact, close to the same. If your logic that the phone cost you more and thats why its $50 more on contract, then the out-right price should be more. Why would you squeeze all you can from a contract sale that will bring in long-term revenue and not want it on a less profitable sale.

Now lets deal with strategy. If your the number 3 cell phone company in America and you want to become number 1 and with the EVO you see your new subscriber growth is up and this is from a great phone at a common high end phone price $199. But instead of building on that you make a decision that people will really question. You now have people looking at $350 w/tax $375ish up front(damn now that i"m looking at it I question it) for a phone. Maybe If you don't wanna take the price down do instant rebate for $250 upfront no mail in needed, that will satisfy current and new customers and put you higher is customer satisfaction and the recognition that a major cell company is giving an instant rebate on a flagship phone which shows you really want our business. I guarantee that if they would have OR do this, sprint will do better number than with the current price policy. The Epic will do good but with this plan it will do better. Sprint Holla at me if you need some marketing strategies..FOR REAL

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If you want the phone outright at $250 without having to wait for mail in rebate just buy it at Bestbuy/Radioshack or any other store besides Sprint.

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If you want the phone outright at $250 without having to wait for mail in rebate just buy it at Bestbuy/Radioshack or any other store besides Sprint.

I know this already, my point is sprint stores should do this. Also bestbuy and radio shack have very limited stock after first wave with new sprint phones. Try getting an EVO from the shack. Every shack store says they only get 1 shipment of 2-3 EVo phones a week if that and will most likely be the same way with the epic. While Sprint stores get first priority (as They Should) and gets 3-4 shipment a week. So if you really want the phone your sucked into the rebate process through sprint.

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I know this already, my point is sprint stores should do this. Also bestbuy and radio shack have very limited stock after first wave with new sprint phones. Try getting an EVO from the shack. Every shack store says they only get 1 shipment of 2-3 EVo phones a week if that and will most likely be the same way with the epic. While Sprint stores get first priority (as They Should) and gets 3-4 shipment a week. So if you really want the phone your sucked into the rebate process through sprint.

This is relative to your location, because every Radioshack/Bestbuy around me has been constantly getting shipments every week while the official Sprint stores keep telling me to come back later.

I was actually very close to buying an Evo actually and probably would bought one if the Epic had not been announced by this Friday.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm Fine with paying more but as a business owner I think with the progress you made with EVO the strategy for the Epic 4G is far from smart.

The argument that we are paying more for a better phone is not valid because the out-right price is or was the same as any new flagship that sprint has released the past few years $499..

Disagree on the facts.

Seriously, WTF, when are the absurd claims on sprint pricing going to stop? Especially by people saying they are business phone buyers. Most flagship qwerties on sprint recently have been WAY more.

touch pro was $300 and Touch Pro 2 was $350 They sold EXCELLENTLY

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Disagree on the facts.

Seriously, WTF, when are the absurd claims on sprint pricing going to stop? Especially by people saying they are business phone buyers. Most flagship qwerties on sprint recently have been WAY more.

touch pro was $300 and Touch Pro 2 was $350 They sold EXCELLENTLY

They might have sold EXCELLENTLY as you say.. but might point was that sprint seen its biggest growth in new subscribers in 5yrs with the EVO @$199 not the 'EXCELLENTLY" sold touch pro @$350 (which proves my theory by the way) That if the kept the price point @199 with this next great phone.. they would ride the wave of gain newer customers. oh and BTW i said I was A business owner not buying a phone for my business also I said I was Buying it TOO! and as a Biz owner I would not charge the $50 if I know I can make a minimum of $1,800 over the next 2 years

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
They might have sold EXCELLENTLY as you say.. but might point was that sprint seen its biggest growth in new subscribers in 5yrs with the EVO @$199 not the 'EXCELLENTLY" sold touch pro @$350 (which proves my theory by the way) That if the kept the price point @199 with this next great phone.. they would ride the wave of gain newer customers. oh and BTW i said I was A business owner not buying a phone for my business also I said I was Buying it TOO! and as a Biz owner I would not charge the $50 if I know I can make a minimum of $1,800 over the next 2 years

You are implying they sold more evo than touch pro? Do you have data?

the reason i mentioned you said you were a business owner, is that TP and TP2 were more oriented to business than say instincts, and were priced well over $200, something you said didn't occurd, when in fact +250 is more the rule than the exception for top sprint business phones.

You are making the assumption tiat it was the fact that it was $199 vs $250 that accounted for Evo's sales and I don't see any evidence. I think it 4G that sold the EVO and they would have sold just as many at $250.

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
yes it is record that sprint recorded it biggest new subscriber growth in years in the quater that the evo was released. It could of been 4g or jus the evo any way you look at it the new feature plus price of product worked for you. So why change the formula.. I cans see if they were number 1 then you can play step out on a limb. But when the endgame is to attract new and hold on to current customers, I don't see this way being the right choice. In the end people will buy but a people also will not and with the people who will not will cite the price as the decideing decision and upfront cost are what many (not all) NEW customers look @ when they choose cell phone companies

Bitter13

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
It's simple economics. Sprint is only going to have a finite number of Epics available. They are going to sell every one. They could probably charge more if they wanted to and they would sell them out.

Their true strategic flaw is not having enough 4G phones available to meet demand. So much for stealing subscribers with the lure of 4G service. Better to flood the market with 4G phones they could have sold for $149 or $199 and added lines than a limited amount at $250. How the hell did they not have a 4G Blackberry ready?

The sell price of the epic is the least of their mis-calculations.

Last edited:

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
First let ME start off... I'm Fine with paying more but as a business owner I think with the progress you made with EVO the strategy for the Epic 4G is far from smart. The extra $50 makes new (not upgrade) customer think twice about switching.The argument that we are paying more for a better phone is not valid because the out-right price is or was the same as any new flagship that sprint has released the past few years $499..(the evo since epic pre-order started has dropped down to $449)which is smoke and mirrors to make you believe the extra $50 is justified. So the argument by people saying your paying more for the slide out feature and front facing camera and flash is B.S. cause the outright cost for samsung galaxy s on the other cell phone companies is (ugh umm) $499 too. and thats what I have to go by, if your outright prices are the same thats telling me that they are costing you if not exact, close to the same. If your logic that the phone cost you more and thats why its $50 more on contract, then the out-right price should be more. Why would you squeeze all you can from a contract sale that will bring in long-term revenue and not want it on a less profitable sale.
This post assumes that:

A. The $499.99 price point reflects Samsung's MSRP (which it doesn't)

B. The Epic 4G's MSRP is the same as the Evo's

According to radio shack, the SRP of the Epic is $699.99. RS's retail price is $549.99 and BB is selling it @ $649.99 so that $699 figure surely seems reasonable. According to what I've been able to dig up the Evo's SRP is $600.00 from HTC so Sprint is losing $50 more per handset on Epic sales despite the $50 price hike. They would need to sell the Epic @ $300 just to match the Evo's net loss. But noooo...they should be willing to take a $500.00 loss on a handset just to match an arbitrarily-derived price point of $ 199.99, amirite? :eek:

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This post assumes that:

According to radio shack, the SRP of the Epic is $699.99. RS's retail price is $549.99 and BB is selling it @ $649.99 so that $699 figure surely seems reasonable. According to what I've been able to dig up the Evo's SRP is $600.00 from HTC so Sprint is losing $50 more per handset on Epic sales despite the $50 price hike. They would need to sell the Epic @ $300 just to match the Evo's net loss. But noooo...they should be willing to take a $500.00 loss on a handset just to match an arbitrarily-derived price point of $ 199.99, amirite? :eek:

well you can't go with radio shack and best buy msrp because they are a third party and sprint is the middle men which mean their price would be higher they make money buy getting customers on a contract not on the phone. So in order to make money on a non contract phone their msrp would have to be higher because if they sell a phone with no contract sprint pays them no money so that's why their msrp is higher so they can get paid

LurkMoar

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
This post assumes that:

no you're not right. The real msrp is what carrier charge off contract. 3rd party sellers alway jack up the off contract price

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
well you can't go with radio shack and best buy msrp because they are a third party and sprint is the middle men which mean their price would be higher they make money buy getting customers on a contract not on the phone. So in order to make money on a non contract phone their msrp would have to be higher because if they sell a phone with no contract sprint pays them no money so that's why their msrp is higher so they can get paid
The "M" in MSRP stands for "manufacturer's". :p From what I've seen the MSRP from Samsung is $699.99. Radio shack is selling the phones "off-contract" for $549.99 and Best Buy is selling them for $649.99.

Last edited:

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The "M" in MSRP stands for "manufacturer's". :p From what I've seen the MSRP from Samsung is $699.99. Radio shack is selling the phones "off-contract" for $549.99 and Best Buy is selling them for $649.99.

ok do you think sprint would by a phone for 699 and then sell it to you for 499 off contract WTF to gain nothing and lose 200 of the deal..on top of that when you go to samsung site it doesn't even give you a price it says click for a local dealer or carrier near you..common sense people?

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
ok do you think sprint would by a phone for 699 and then sell it to you for 499 off contract WTF to gain nothing and lose 200 of the deal..on top of that when you go to samsung site it doesn't even give you a price it says click for a local dealer or carrier near you..common sense people?
How's this for common sense? Sprint won't sell you an Epic off-contract, period. No cold handsets, meaning you must either already be under contract, be a new subscriber or renew your contract. The money they lose will be recouped one way or the other.

$249.99 is for new customers and/or upgraders.
$499.99 is for existing sprint customers that are either not eligible for an upgrade at the time or don't want to renew their contract.
No deal for those not under contract.

Edit: I never implied that a consumer could buy the phone directly from Samsung either.

Last edited:

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There is a rumor that Samsung is making a phoneless version of the Galaxy S. Ill lay it all on the line right now, if it is real, it won't have an MSRP of more than $299.

Sebrina

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's called a tablet = ) No seriously...

Samsung releases first Galaxy tablet pic | TG Daily

Other than that there is a Galaxy Q in the works which is a mini Epic 4G (AT&T or T-Mobile maybe since it's rumored to be GSM):

Samsung Galaxy Q Android slider specs leak - A mini Epic 4G?

No, there is an actual samsung galaxy PMP that is the same size as the galaxy s and has the same specs, it is even supposed to have the front and rear cameras.

Another Look at Samsung’s Galaxy S PMP | Android Phone Fans

see? it's so pretty. If I didn't like the idea of having an android phone with qwerty keyboard and then an ipod touch to have access to iOS games and stuff, I would totally be all over this PMP.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The "M" in MSRP stands for "manufacturer's".
It has been well documented that Best buy lists FALSE msrp on Sprint phones. MSRP on Treo Pro was $600. BB listed MSRP on Treo Pro at $700 when all others listed it as $600. They did not do this for a few days but the entire lenght of the phones selling life.

Last edited:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
yes it is record that sprint recorded it biggest new subscriber growth in years in the quater that the evo was released.
That growth was pre paid subscribers. so since non pre paids could buy evo how do you get your claim?

The fact is that sprints top smartphones are $250 to $350 generally. they made an exception for EVO to launch 4G. They found they could not keep any in stock even with the huge increase in price to customers of $260 after tax for 4g alone.
People are not going to mind paying another 1 to 2% over a couple of years to have an EPIC over an EVO considering the EPICS several compelling advantages.

If you think they will not sell out epic yo are wrong.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar