New Sprint Customer - Activation Fees & Protection?

freality

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Was going to preorder 2 E4Gs from radioshack.com (as a new Sprint customer, bailing from T-Mobile), but I noticed a couple of things:

1) Activation fee is $36 per phone. Is there no way around this? Would it be the same as going into a Radio Shack or Sprint B&M store? I noticed sprint.com waives activation fees, but you can't get the E4G from them online.

2) At radioshack.com, there's no option to add Total Equipment Protection. Can I add this later?

lpsteve72

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Was going to preorder 2 E4Gs from radioshack.com (as a new Sprint customer, bailing from T-Mobile), but I noticed a couple of things:

1) Activation fee is $36 per phone. Is there no way around this? Would it be the same as going into a Radio Shack or Sprint B&M store? I noticed sprint.com waives activation fees, but you can't get the E4G from them online
2) At radioshack.com, there's no option to add Total Equipment Protection. Can I add this later?[/Q

You can add the tep later on the computer, on your account. You have 30 days to add. If u ever cancel, I believe u can't add it back until u upgrade or renew. As for the 36.00 fee, if u are a new customer with sprint, just call them while u are activating the phone from wherever u buy it and ask them to waive it since you are switching from another carrier. You should have no problem.

powrman811

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Or go to a third party store and tell them you work at Home Depot. You will get 25% off you monthly bill and it waives activation fees. MOST 3rd party stores don't bother checking to see if you actually work there. Make sure they attach the discount BEFORE they create submit your credit.

JoshK

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I also believe there are no activation fees for setting it up online. It has been a few years so I don't remember if I went to Sprint.com or WireFly.com, but I didn't have to pay any activation fees.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

1) Activation fee is $36 per phone. Is there no way around this? Would it be the same as going into a Radio Shack or Sprint B&M store? I noticed sprint.com waives activation fees, but you can't get the E4G from them online.

2) At radioshack.com, there's no option to add Total Equipment Protection. Can I add this later?

If you are doing an upgrade there is no activation fee in sprint store but in best buy and radio shack there is a fee.

miamithrice

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

Just spoke to sprint customer service apparently and the Epic will be available for sale on the website on launch day.

lorcha

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
As for the 36.00 fee, if u are a new customer with sprint, just call them while u are activating the phone from wherever u buy it and ask them to waive it since you are switching from another carrier. You should have no problem.
It used to be you could get a $36 credit for your activation fee if you called *2 and asked. I got mine over e-chat last year.

I seem to recall reading that Sprint has gotten a lot tougher on $36 credits for activation. People who respond here that "it's easy--just call" might have done it under the old policy. Is there anybody who has attempted this recently who would care to comment here?

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I seem to recall reading that Sprint has gotten a lot tougher on $36 credits for activation. People who respond here that "it's easy--just call" might have done it under the old policy. Is there anybody who has attempted this recently who would care to comment here?
Yes, it is easy and common. In fact you are not charged if you buy from Sprint in a store as a new customer, or if you buy from them online as a new or old customer. If you buy in a store as an exiting customer it is easy -- yes currently. You have to remember you have supreme leverage in your first 30 days because you can cancel with no etf. so just call *2 two weeks into your contract and say you understand if you had gotten online you would not have paid, and are surprised to pay. Say: "I think I should cancel my current plan and sign up agianst on line to avoid this fee". they will immediately offer you credit.

A customer loss two weeks has been quantified in Sprints financials. Sprint says is a $300 loss. They are not going to lose $300 to save a $36 fee that is routinely waived anyway.