When will Samsung give out Review units?

it.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Samsung still hasn't given out any review units. Even though the epic has been announced, there has still been no unboxings or reviews of the thing. When will they start handing out review units?

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Ask and ye shall receive:

Epic 4G review -- Engadget

So is it the right phone for the job? In a word, yes -- the Epic 4G is a great device. Killer, even. Nothing speaks to us more strongly during the course of a review than finishing it and saying, "alright, I'm ready to buy this thing," and the Epic is on the short list of phones that has managed to do it. More than its Galaxy S siblings, it feels like the Epic has overcome its shortcomings -- notably the forgettable UI skin -- to shine, and it's a phone we could easily imagine using day to day. Only thing is, the EVO is also on that short list for us -- and the better camera, bigger screen, and $50 savings versus the Epic still make it our winner in this 4G shootout, though only by the thinnest of margins. If you need a physical keyboard and you're looking for the one of the most musclebound Android phones money can buy, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Finally a review!!!!!!!!! been waiting like crazy. now I just gotta see one in person before I preorder. Lol hope they dont run out by then.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
No one really cares about that. All the iPhone models have horrible GPS issues, and no one made a big deal about those.

I care about it.. what if it's a hardware issue? If so, I would get the eVO then.. but I already pre-ordered from newegg..

WHat do you mean iphone has GPS issues?

fkabibil

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
iPhone experiencing GPS problems after 2.0.1 update? -- Engadget

I'm assuming there probably have been other similar major GPS issues as well with the other iphone models. I don't follow that stuff closely.

This is not the same thing at all thats happening on the Galaxy S phones, The GPS is basically useless right now on the Captivate and Vibrant..good news is that the fix is on the way in september, just sucks that we'll have to deal with it for a month

erickzig

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
iPhone experiencing GPS problems after 2.0.1 update? -- Engadget

I'm assuming there probably have been other similar major GPS issues as well with the other iphone models. I don't follow that stuff closely.

Umm... That article is 2 years old. I've never had any issues with the GPS with my iPhone 3G. That's one of the few things that still works on it! :)

Overall, it was a pretty disappointing take on the phone. Not sure what I expected but maybe I'll revisit the Evo again... Or just wait for the next best thing...

erickzig

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This is not the same thing at all thats happening on the Galaxy S phones, The GPS is basically useless right now on the Captivate and Vibrant..good news is that the fix is on the way in september, just sucks that we'll have to deal with it for a month

That really does suck. Why would anyone knowingly buy a phone that didn't work?

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I know people that used the phone and gps worked fine. I will believe when I see it but if it does have a problem it is not a deal breaker. They said they were working on a fix

it.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you guys all have me to thank for these early reviews because I was the first one to ask :) Also, I think the gps issue is being blown way out of proportion. A fix is coming in September! This isn't a hardware issue like the iphone's death grip!

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sick of the complaining about touchwiz, it isn't that bad. Just use launcher pro.

Sent From My Samsung Intercept

it.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm sick of the complaining about touchwiz, it isn't that bad. Just use launcher pro.

yeah, it really isn't too bad. And considering galaxy s phones will be on all 4 US carriers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if cyanogen has something in the works. These days, you can root you're phone and port just about any version of Android you want. Hardware is just about the only thing that matters to me and based on these rave early reviews, it's looking like I won't be disappointed!

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually, two of the reviews noted no issues with the GPS at all.

Interesting to see how different reviewers see / experience things.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
2008 article? are you kidding me android fanboy?

Just because apple screwed something up, it's okay this phone has a similar screw up? wth?

Do you want to go into antennaegate? I'm not justifying the other poster's comments, but Apple suffers from defects, just like any other company. My roomie's iphone 3g didn't connect to GPS at all. Never got a lock. I asked him why he didn't take it back, he said, "I'll just wait for the iphone 4". Most likely, Engadget tried to get GPS lock indoors, which my Hero has trouble doing as well, but still works great in the car, when I actually need it. Who cares if you can't tell other people your long and lat while tweeting if google maps nav works just fine? We'll see how widespread the issue is at launch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC