My decision between the EVO and the EPIC...

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Personally, after handling the Epic for about 20 minutes today, I don't think I will be using my reservation. Here are my reasons,

1 - It's thicker. Even with my case on my EVO, my EVO is actually slimmer than the epic. For a guy who abhores a holster, the size gave me pause. (The EVO is not much better, but it is noticible.)

2 - The buttons. The responsiveness of the buttons left a lot to be desired. It's not a deal breaker at all, but it might start to grate on me.

3 - No HTC Sense - Yeah, this is a no brainer because its Samsung and not HTC, but I am a huge fan of Sense. Samsung's offering is just no good for me. I am all about customization and HTC's widgets are fantastic.

4 - Running Asphalt was a huge difference. This is the only thing that pushes me towards the Epic. It loads faster and runs more crisp. The issue here is that I don't really use my phone as a gaming phone. So this would merely be a pro about 20 minutes out of the day.

5 - The screen. The EVO screen at 4.3 inches is as noticibly larger. I didn't think that would matter, but with my big hands... :)

Anyway, the Epic is a fantastic phone for most, but being the oddball I am it doesn't work for me. I hope this helps.

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Any feedback on real life hands on is appreciated.

As far as some of your gripes I think the only one I would agree with you on is Touchwiz 3, HTC Sense is much better than Samsungs custom skin. Luckily android is all about options and the first thing I will do with my phone is download Launcher Pro which is better than any skin IMO and pretty close to stock Android.

In regards to the thickness as well I expected the phone to be thicker than the EVO due to the full slide out QWERTY keyboard. Compared to most other QWERTY keyboard phones out there though if you look at specs the phone is thinner than them (like the Touch pro 2, G1,etc).

I have a question though, when you say the buttons were not responsive are you referring to front buttons or the Qwerty keyboard buttons?? Also was there any lag in the phone that you noticed or did it run smooth in your opinion??

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The phone was quick and very responsive. The capacitive buttons are the ones that aren't good. Keyboard is fantastic.

Have you used an intercept? The capacitive buttons on it are terrible, is the epic better? What about the qwerty keyboard?

Sent From My Samsung Intercept

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
By capacitive buttons, I assume you mean the four backlit ones at the bottom?

Yes.

Have you used an intercept? The capacitive buttons on it are terrible, is the epic better? What about the qwerty keyboard?

Not that bad. It was good and then not good. A little lag.

Out of curiosity where were you able to try an epic fear yourself? Do any stores have advocates yet?

Friend is a Regional VP with Sprint.

gotthelife4u

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have an reservation and I still am in search of an EVO. I am more concerned with the Galaxy S GPS than anything else. If I can find an EVO before the Epics Launch date I might have to go for it.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Any feedback on real life hands on is appreciated.

As far as some of your gripes I think the only one I would agree with you on is Touchwiz 3, HTC Sense is much better than Samsungs custom skin. Luckily android is all about options and the first thing I will do with my phone is download Launcher Pro which is better than any skin IMO and pretty close to stock Android.

In regards to the thickness as well I expected the phone to be thicker than the EVO due to the full slide out QWERTY keyboard. Compared to most other QWERTY keyboard phones out there though if you look at specs the phone is thinner than them (like the Touch pro 2, G1,etc).

I have a question though, when you say the buttons were not responsive are you referring to front buttons or the Qwerty keyboard buttons?? Also was there any lag in the phone that you noticed or did it run smooth in your opinion??

My sister has the evo, and I feel almost ALL touch sensitive capacitive buttons someones require an additional touch - DEF not a deal breaker! and DAH the phone is bigger didn't take a rocket science to say that lol , but I agree with this post to counter the initial posters thread Im still lost @ their reasons for not liking the EPIC! over the EVO it really isn't that serious both are great phones for different people

BrianFX

May 29, 2010
Visit site
1 - It's thicker. Even with my case on my EVO, my EVO is actually slimmer than the epic. For a guy who abhores a holster, the size gave me pause. (The EVO is not much better, but it is noticible.)
To the Epic's credit, it's one of the thinnest sliders to date, considerably thinner than the Moment, TP1, & TP2 and on par with the Droid / Droid 2. Heck it's even thinner than my brick-like non-slider Moto Q9c. :)

You should really compare screen quality too. The Super AMOLED's colors and contrast blow the away the EVO's TFT, not to mention the EVO's screen is 16-bit colors and hardware-locked to 30fps..

Last edited:

gotthelife4u

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
To the Epic's credit, it's one of the thinnest sliders to date, considerably thinner than the Moment, TP1, & TP2 and on par with the Droid / Droid 2. Heck it's even thinner than my brick-like non-slider Moto Q9c. :)

You should really compare screen quality too. The Super AMOLED's colors and contrast blow the away the EVO's TFT, not to mention the EVO's screen is 16-bit colors and hardware-locked to 30fps..

These are all the things that draw me to the Epic. I don't know maybe I am reading too much into the flaws of Samsung.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Up until the epic was announced, the EVO was the phone I had decided I would buy when my upgrade rolled around (august 1st) I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and trying to make the decision, but I've finally made one that I'm happy with. I would love either phone, but here's why I have chosen the Epic:

I take into account how a phone looks. I think both are sexy, but the EVO's boxy shape with 4 white circles never particularly made me drool. The epic's rounded shape and all black front is just smexy as hell. I secretly always wished the evo was styled a bit more like the HD2.

Screen. I loved the thought of having a 4.3" screen, but I always thought the EVO's screen was a bit too wide looking o_O almost un-phone-like. It wasn't enough to bother me at all, but the shape of the epic's screen is perfect for me. Coming from a Pre, anything is a huge difference, so I'll be very happy with 4"

S-AMOLED. I like eye candy and things that look pretty. With sammy's screens being the brightest and most colorful screen I'm going to find anywhere, that was a big selling point for me. I've seen the evo. It looks marvelous, but the galaxy S screens just POP, and I like it :)

Thickness. I like thin phones. A lot. I want a phone to be as thin as possible, but I don't base my purchase on it. Before the evo was announced I was expecting it to be as thin as the HD2. Turns out it was a bit chunkier, and after playing with one for a while, it was so big that I no longer felt like it was a "thin" phone. It is thin, don't get me wrong. The epic is just a tad thicker, but it still feels thin for what it is. It's thinner than my Pre, and I think it's a pretty compact device.

Keyboard. To be honest, I don't want a physical keyboard. It annoys me that the epic has one at the expense of extra thickness. That said. I'm great with virtual keyboards, and I don't expect that I'll use it much, but I know it will come in handy sometimes. I also happen to like phones that I can play with a little (aka slide or flip). My pre is too fragile to do that with :/ but sammy makes pretty solid sliders.

Processor. Both phones are going to be really snappy all/most of the time. I DO however have to say that I'm a gamer. Am I a smartphone gamer? No...but I've never had a device that really felt great to game on. Having a phone that can power through any graphic intensive app with a big screen and even hardware controls was a big check+ to me.

UI. Sense is what made me fall in love with android in the first place. There are some things about it I don't love however. Despite the complaints against touchwiz, I like a lot about it. There are some things I don't love as well, and I'd probably prefer sense to it, but I don't feel strongly enough towards either one to make it steer my entire decision. I think launcherPro adds a good sense-like feel anyway if I want to customize as much as I can.

There's more little points, but those are the biggies. Sorry for the wall of text there...

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
To all who may be tempted by the Epic, or any of the other Samsung Galaxy S phones: download both K-9 and MailDroid e-mail programs and try using either for a week instead of your HTC Sense e-mail. Then tell me if you don't come screaming back to Sense. Because that is what you will be using everyday you own one of those. If you can live with either, then go for it.

I had tried both the Vibrant and Captivate, and that alone was enough to make me buy an EVO.

tricex2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Thickness. I like thin phones. A lot. I want a phone to be as thin as possible, but I don't base my purchase on it. Before the evo was announced I was expecting it to be as thin as the HD2. Turns out it was a bit chunkier, and after playing with one for a while, it was so big that I no longer felt like it was a "thin" phone. It is thin, don't get me wrong. The epic is just a tad thicker, but it still feels thin for what it is. It's thinner than my Pre, and I think it's a pretty compact device.

Have you seen the device in person if it is thinner than the Pre like you say, I am definitely sold. I'm going to buy it anyway but the only worry I really had was that it would be too thick. The Pre is not thick at all IMO so if the Epic is thinner "happy happy, joy joy"

Sebrina

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I used k-9 when I had my Evo Sense's built in e-mail reader was junk. You couldn't even save e-mails to SD. Also what's wrong with using TouchWiz's built in e-mail client?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
To all who may be tempted by the Epic, or any of the other Samsung Galaxy S phones: download both K-9 and MailDroid e-mail programs and try using either for a week instead of your HTC Sense e-mail. Then tell me if you don't come screaming back to Sense. Because that is what you will be using everyday you own one of those. If you can live with either, then go for it.

I had tried both the Vibrant and Captivate, and that alone was enough to make me buy an EVO.

I don't understand. I HATED the Evo mail client. I used K-9 the whole time I owned one.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Have you seen the device in person if it is thinner than the Pre like you say, I am definitely sold. I'm going to buy it anyway but the only worry I really had was that it would be too thick. The Pre is not thick at all IMO so if the Epic is thinner "happy happy, joy joy"

Holy cow, are you kidding me? The Pre is 16.9mm thick, while the Epic is 14.2mm thick. That is a pretty large difference when comparing phone thickness.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
That is exaggerated. The Pre seems thick in the specs because of the curved back. The Intercept is supposedly 15.2mm thick, but it actually is virtually the same as the Pre side by side. The design of hte Pre makes it look thinner than the Intercept too.

I think the Epic will actually end up looking only slightly thinner than the Pre, despite what looks like a large difference in the specs. Of course, the fact taht it is so large will add to the perception of its thinness, particularly when it is opened and the two halves are separated.

Sebrina

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The Pre had such bad quality control issues, but WebOS was awesome. It's like comparing a BMW to a Buick with an aftermarket Pioneer GPS system.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That is exaggerated. The Pre seems thick in the specs because of the curved back. The Intercept is supposedly 15.2mm thick, but it actually is virtually the same as the Pre side by side. The design of hte Pre makes it look thinner than the Intercept too.

I think the Epic will actually end up looking only slightly thinner than the Pre, despite what looks like a large difference in the specs. Of course, the fact taht it is so large will add to the perception of its thinness, particularly when it is opened and the two halves are separated.

I know that already! But it is not exaggerated because at the thickest point, it would be 16.9mm. I'm just going by the specs that were on the website. The average thickness is not that thick (my cousin has a Pre, so I actually used it) and you are completely right: it is probably around 15.2mm. However, the Epic is still a whole millimeter thinner. Supposedly, the Moment is around 16mm thick, yet it didn't bother me. Basically, I am just saying that even though the Epic would be considered thick to other phones, it would feel really thin as a slider.