Is there any known disappointments with the Samsung Epic 4g?

ben7337

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
1 GB internal ROM of which only about 440 MB is useable, also BGR is reporting some lack of customizations like deleting home screens and customizing the grid on the screens. Also the lock/unlock screen is relatively boring/uninspired from what I understand. However hopefully all of these won't be a serious problem with 2.2 and rooting. However the internal storage is still a potential worry.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Theknown dissapointment? Well that it isnt a EVO lol. Nah serious now receiption like on all Samsung Phones and the low memory internal since most apps still get saved to the phone and not to the card and it running 2.1 is even not able to do it. So you are limited to what install there are quiet a few apps that take a lot of memory. Also the The lack of Sense and that even so the Screen is very ver very nice it isnt the most battery saving screen. And still not the best in sunlight. But other then that it will be a good phone.

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Theknown dissapointment? Well that it isnt a EVO lol. Nah serious now receiption like on all Samsung Phones and the low memory internal since most apps still get saved to the phone and not to the card and it running 2.1 is even not able to do it. So you are limited to what install there are quiet a few apps that take a lot of memory. Also the The lack of Sense and that even so the Screen is very ver very nice it isnt the most battery saving screen. And still not the best in sunlight. But other then that it will be a good phone.

"But other than that it will be a good phone" lol how do you say that after slaying the features like that

Sebrina

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
"But other than that it will be a good phone" lol how do you say that after slaying the features like that

Because other than the FM radio the rest is all software and you will probably be able to port all of these extras from a captivate or other Galaxy S custom ROM and install all these missing features once you root?

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
I just left a sprint store and one employee said that he had played with one for about 30 minutes and that he felt like the 4 buttons on the bottom were a bit unresponsive. He said after playing with it, he is less excited than he originally was.

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Like all things in this world - we all have OPINIONS - one's assessment or opinion shouldn't sway yours, that is unless your not a follower....Buy the phone if you want to or not- try i t out for 30 days< and if YOU are not satisfied be it WHATEVER reason...... Return :)

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
-Asphalt 5 demo (bloatware)
-dull lockscreen compared to fellow Galaxies
-no Samsung music player (I loved it)
-no add/remove homescreens
-no daily briefing widget
-Touchwiz 2.5... unfinished version of an already half cooked UI
-no FM radio

Capacitive buttons and GPS also worries me but ill reserve that judgment to when i actually use it

Last edited:

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
-Asphalt 5 damo (bloatware)
-dull lockscreen compared to fellow Galaxies
-no Samsung music player (I loved it)
-no add/remove homescreens
-no daily briefing widget
-Touchwiz 2.5... unfinished version of an already half cooked UI
-no FM radio

Capacitive buttons and GPS also worries me but ill reserve that judgment to when i actually use it

This, along with the lack of customizing the bottom row of shortcut icons, sum it up for me.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Cant believe people are disappointed in not having full Touchwiz 3.0

If anything that is a plus

I don't know about that. It seems not having full Touchwiz 3.0 means Samsung and Sprint are neglecting to include cool features like customizable fonts, customizable shortcut bar, Samsung's music player, and the daily briefing widget.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about that. It seems not having full Touchwiz 3.0 means Samsung and Sprint are neglecting to include cool features like customizable fonts, customizable shortcut bar, Samsung's music player, and the daily briefing widget.

this

if they are gonna give us touchwiz anyway, id rather have all its goodies or nothing... its worse to have the cartoonish UI anyway and not being able to at least customize it to your liking (or tolerance lol) or all its features

ill get the epic anyway because im stuck with a stock-unrootable 2.2 evo and the fps thing is driving me nuts!!! lmao, and the fix destroys the battery since its not really a fix but a hack to make the screen refresh twice as often... thats bad m'kay...

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Wait- are custom fonts also removed? Shoot what did they leave IN THE PHONE?

If all of this is thrown out- they should not be allowed to brand this a Galaxy S phone.

I was suspect about the home icons - that was mentioned at the announcement of the phone line- but the lack of all these system apps, and now the suggestion of no font support... I based my purchase on the additional choices that Touchwiz provided and the keyboard- to remove many of these- just makes this a terrible skinjob. Maybe I should wait for the G2 at this rate...

I'll test drive the Epic for 30 days- but the more news Samsung / Sprint release on this phone the less I like it. No wonder they kept the phone details secret for so long!

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait- are custom fonts also removed? Shoot what did they leave IN THE PHONE?

If all of this is thrown out- they should not be allowed to brand this a Galaxy S phone.

I was suspect about the home icons - that was mentioned at the announcement of the phone line- but the lack of all these system apps, and now the suggestion of no font support... I based my purchase on the additional choices that Touchwiz provided and the keyboard- to remove many of these- just makes this a terrible skinjob. Maybe I should wait for the G2 at this rate...

I'll test drive the Epic for 30 days- but the more news Samsung / Sprint release on this phone the less I like it. No wonder they kept the phone details secret for so long!

Oh my gosh, is this even Android anymore? "The Samsung Epic 4g, the new Galaxy S phone sponsored by Apple. You want choices? Well, you ain't gettin' nothin' on this phone! We've locked it down so we can watch you all suffer while you pay an extra 50 bucks. Oh? You speak of Froyo? Well, no problem! We'll give it to the Vibrant, Captivate, and Fascinate, but because of this phone being different, we won't bother releasing Froyo to you. So, despite all the fatal errors we've made in marketing, updating you, and creating an inferior Touchwiz interface, just forget about it and buy the phone, will ya? Samsung/Sprint. Think different....ly."

This really is making me frustrated. I was buying this phone, so I wouldn't have to root, but I guess it'll be necessary. Is there ANY good news left? It seems like everything we find out these days is negative about the Epic and it makes it sound like the Epic Fail. Well, nothing I or even we can do about it without rooting. Oh well:eek: