Samsung Epic $199.99 at Amazon

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Ohhh... if this has no sales tax, this is almost as good of a deal as the Student Rate discount. I'm gonna have to find that out... I just might cancel my Student Rate preorder.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Any drawbacks to going this route instead of the Sprint store? Other than I know I can have it the first day in store with my reservation?

Last edited:

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Ohh I forgot there's no activation fee at Student Rate. Maybe Student Rate's still the better route to go :\

Also egeorge1, this is $50 cheaper *and* you don't need to deal with a mail-in-rebate. Also, you usually don't have to pay sales tax with Amazon. Can someone verify if this is true with cell phones?

BrianFX

May 29, 2010
Visit site
This is rather ambiguous.. from my family plan checkout on Amazon:

"
Sprint 2-year Contract (One-time $36 activation fee applies to each line of service.)
(No Charge: Included with Sprint's Monthly Rate Plan)
"

So why even mention it if there's no charge?

What's even more annoying is I can't even see the final checkout review page without submitting the credit background check first. I just want to see if the activation and/or taxes show up on the final page, but I'm not going risk Amazon doing the credit check first.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
@BrianFX: That is a little confusing. Maybe they mean that it will not be included in the amount due at checkout, but will be included in your first month's bill.

BrianFX

May 29, 2010
Visit site
@BrianFX: That is a little confusing. Maybe they mean that it will not be included in the amount due at checkout, but will be included in your first month's bill.
That's what I'm guessing too.

I just called Amazon up, and they do indeed run your credit check before you can see the final checkout page and submit the order. That seems awfully backwards to me.

I'll be sticking with my corporate site and the $50-off code. It's an invoice discount, so it'll still be $350 + tax - rebate - $50 credit, but then I don't have to deal with Amazon's screwy policies, shipping delay, adding a corp discount after the fact, and number porting. Sorry Amazon.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's saying that it's unavailable! What, doesn't it like us NorCal peeps?

I had the same message when I logged onto the page. I thought it was just me cuz i'm in santa cruz but other people in NorCal or experiencing it. Weird.

Other than that, best price so far for this device even off contract

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That's what I'm guessing too.

I just called Amazon up, and they do indeed run your credit check before you can see the final checkout page and submit the order. That seems awfully backwards to me.

I'll be sticking with my corporate site and the $50-off code. It's an invoice discount, so it'll still be $350 + tax - rebate - $50 credit, but then I don't have to deal with Amazon's screwy policies, shipping delay, adding a corp discount after the fact, and number porting. Sorry Amazon.

I'm doing the same thing as you.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I avoided the studentrate site because I didn't want to lose my current discount. It was a huge hassle getting it done the first time, I don't want to go through it again, and I don't want to risk having any problems adding it.

I'll pick it up in person at BB. By far the easiest and most reliable way of going about it IMO.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I avoided the studentrate site because I didn't want to lose my current discount. It was a huge hassle getting it done the first time, I don't want to go through it again, and I don't want to risk having any problems adding it.

I'll pick it up in person at BB. By far the easiest and most reliable way of going about it IMO.

Forgot about going to BB the day before going on vacation, now I'm screwed because they don't have it available for pre-order. Luckily, I have my backup plan (pick-up at Sprint store). I'm relieved, but wished I didn't have to pay that rebate.

erickzig

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's back up at Amazon and I can order it there now however, it looks like they charge the $36 activation fee... Still might be worth it since it's $50 cheaper and you don't have to pay tax or mess with rebates... Says ships within 9-10 days, though...

scientific

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's back up at Amazon and I can order it there now however, it looks like they charge the $36 activation fee... Still might be worth it since it's $50 cheaper and you don't have to pay tax or mess with rebates... Says ships within 9-10 days, though...

I wouldn't let that $36 activation fee bother you too much...a simple call or online chat with a sprint customer service rep is all you need to get it waived and credited to your account...

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Buying off contract Amazon saves you $10, I think I will just keep my Sprint store reservation for now.

That's what I did, but I have to remember the rebate this time. I forgot about my mail-in rebate after purchasing a laptop and we had to pay much more. It sucked.