Somewhat Unfavorable ZDNET Review

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The man loves his kickstand. I use my wallet to prop my phone up or, call me crazy, sometimes I just hold it. Its very hard to do but with enough practice it is possible.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess the most disconcerting issues are the ongoing reports of issues with the capacitive buttons and someone who actually shows the GPS not working favorably.

I wonder if SPRINT NAV might work better that Google maps?:

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone is paranoid about Samsung GPS right now. I doubt there is a problem with the GPS on the Epic.

This guy said he used to love qwerty keyboards but after getting used to the touch keyboard on the EVO, he likes touchscreen keyboards now. Maybe he just needs to get used to the capacitive buttons and he will start liking them too. This review doesn't have me second guessing anything.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm hopefully going to check out an advocates phone today so I can see for myself on both items.

My real time experience is what I'll trust :)

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Video crashes whatever browser Im using. But I guess that is what happens when you have an EVO lover review an EPIC. I bet EVO bashing would occur if an EPIC lover reviewed an EVO. Biased reviewers are bad juju.

Quick question, are they using the google GPS or sprint nav? I use sprint nav primarily with google maps as a traffic monitor. If its google gps then I have no worries as I do not use that.

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am not understanding this...

Specifications
Specifications for the Samsung Epic 4G include the following:

?Android 2.1 with Samsung Touchwiz 3.0 experience
?Cortex A8 Hummingbird, 1GHz processor
?Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G (1700/2100 MHz)
?4 inch WVGA (480?800) capacitive Super AMOLED touch display
?Integrated 1GB flash memory and microSD card (16GB included)
?5 megapixel camera with flash
?VGA front facing camera
?Dedicated, touch-sensitive Home, Menu, Back and Search areas
?Proximity sensor, light sensor and digital compass
?Integrated GPS
?Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
?Bluetooth 3.0
?1500 mAh battery
?3.5 mm headset jack
?Dimensions: 4.9 x 2.54 x 0.56 inches and 5.46 ounces

That immediately makes me question his knowledge... because that would indicate that the Epic was a World phone.

He probably meant quad band CDMA

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then he makes this comment:

The QWERTY keyboard also dominates the front when the display is slid from left to right (up in landscape orientation). This is probably the BEST hardware QWERTY keyboard since the HTC HD2 and keyboard fans are going to love it.

Ummm, when did the HD2 get a hardware keyboard?
Its obvious, this dude has a problem focusing.... perhaps he meant Touch Pro 2...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I am not understanding this...

Specifications
Specifications for the Samsung Epic 4G include the following:

•Android 2.1 with Samsung Touchwiz 3.0 experience
•Cortex A8 Hummingbird, 1GHz processor
•Quad-band GSM and dual-band 3G (1700/2100 MHz)
•4 inch WVGA (480?800) capacitive Super AMOLED touch display
•Integrated 1GB flash memory and microSD card (16GB included)
•5 megapixel camera with flash
•VGA front facing camera
•Dedicated, touch-sensitive Home, Menu, Back and Search areas
•Proximity sensor, light sensor and digital compass
•Integrated GPS
•Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)
•Bluetooth 3.0
•1500 mAh battery
•3.5 mm headset jack
•Dimensions: 4.9 x 2.54 x 0.56 inches and 5.46 ounces

That immediately makes me question his knowledge... because that would indicate that the Epic was a World phone.

He probably meant quad band CDMA

Someone probably copy/pasted one of the vibrants or captivates specs and added dimentions of epic and ROM/sdcard and forgot antenna. It is not a world phone, has no spot for a sim card and there is not such thing as quad band CDMA, just dual band (800/1900).

Want correct phone stats, this place is generally spot on with that info, but they do have the wrong ROM.

Cell phone reviews, news and specs - Phone Arena

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been seeing a lot of reviews with copy-pasted BS from the other Galaxy S phones. Any time I see anything like that, I disregard the review entirely, whether it's favorable or not.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
do you think anyone would make a screen protector like with the button icons painted on for the button area?
Not necessary. These reviewers keep missing the fact that the capacitive backlit buttons can be set to stay on with the screen. It's in the settings. They just haven't looked for it.

vtective

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Seeing the vibrant and crisp colors of the Epic next to the pink hued Evo in the video, reaffirms that the Epic is the right phone for me.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
He's gone back and fixed the GSM cut-and-paste error. Now, my point of contention:

"The EVO 4G 4.3″ display is large and presents more, especially when web browsing. "

It's the same resolution; how does the EVO display present more information? It has bigger pixels, not more of them.

Dunce. Do none of these websites employ editors anymore? Part time teenage bloggers I could understand, but ZDNet used to actually sell print magazines. Did they fire everyone?

--Qfg

sinman02

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing to me how these so called "professionals" so often post erroneous and misleading information. It makes me wonder if any of these people do any real research before putting their names in front of their articles. I think every first impression or unboxing review I've read or viewed missed the point about being able to adjust the backlighting of the capacitive buttions. I remember reading about this feature when someone pointed it out when the US Galaxy S series were first introduced by Samsung about a month or two ago. I think Engadget was the first to recognize it and make a correction to their review about. Even so, reviewers are still missing it and getting it wrong. As for Zdnet, the misleading info about the GSM radio and the HD2 keyboard just reaffirms my contention that these guys are either lazy or just plain incompetent. I read these posts because I'm currently in the market to get a new phone...as it is, I'm currently undecided. But sifting through all this misinformation is tiresome. I just wish one of these "professionals" would put together a comprehensive, FACTUAL review that people can rely on. Maybe I'm asking too much...but I don't think so... Is it too much to expect a reviewer to know to turn on AGPS before testing? Seriously...how hard is it to install a GPS signal app that can definitively test the GPS performance of this thing? You'd think with all the speculation going on about this, someone could have done it by now. If someone is willing to give me a review phone, I'm sure I could put together a much better review than every one else has so far... You wouldn't even have to pay me!!! D@mn!!! <End Rant>

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well....

I did just speak with the advocate at my local friendly Corporate store.

He hasn't tried the GPS yet but will do so tonight on his way home.

His one gripe with the phone....even when lit, having to hit the capacitive buttons numerous times to get them to register.

Hopefully I can try it for myself tomorrow when he has more time.