Im officially a full android convert now!!!!

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I know making a thread about this is nothing special and the community probably could have done with out it, but I just had to vent these awesome feelings! Today Im at lunch with an acquaintance and he is bragging about his brother's moto droid and so I figure I would test the little moment and I have to say this simple feature and test pulled out a clutch win. He was mocking me and saying I couldnt do it and that it was only a verizon feature but I proved him wrong! Basically my hands were messy and we wanted to look up nearby gamestops so he could buy SC2 and I used the voice control search and BAM I smited him down like the n00b he is!!1111

Well anyways that clutch move that my lowly little samsung moment did for me has converted me 110%! Almost had me saying webOS who? Well anyways I just had to share this bit of awesomeness and that I cant wait to do the same stuff on the epic 4g!

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I know making a thread about this is nothing special and the community probably could have done with out it, but I just had to vent these awesome feelings! Today Im at lunch with an acquaintance and he is bragging about his brother's moto droid and so I figure I would test the little moment and I have to say this simple feature and test pulled out a clutch win. He was mocking me and saying I couldnt do it and that it was only a verizon feature but I proved him wrong! Basically my hands were messy and we wanted to look up nearby gamestops so he could buy SC2 and I used the voice control search and BAM I smited him down like the n00b he is!!1111

Well anyways that clutch move that my lowly little samsung moment did for me has converted me 110%! Almost had me saying webOS who? Well anyways I just had to share this bit of awesomeness and that I cant wait to do the same stuff on the epic 4g!

*sniff *sniff* I'm so proud:p

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
*sniff *sniff* I'm so proud:p

Yeah I thought android would be a nice platform until webOS gets its act together, but as I dig more and more into the OS I realize webOS, while awesome in so many ways, has ALOT more then I thought to work on before being able to compete 100%.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I thought android would be a nice platform until webOS gets its act together, but as I dig more and more into the OS I realize webOS, while awesome in so many ways, has ALOT more then I thought to work on before being able to compete 100%.

I used my cousin's Palm Pre. Hardware sucks! The software excellent, but I completely agree that it really needs more work.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the OS is lacking now that I have been using the more mature android OS. The hardware was a joke and the phone only lasted 6 months before literally falling apart and then bricking itself. I am on a buggy refurbed samsung moment now and even with the quirks of a used refurb it is still leaps ahead of the pre and honestly I wont tell my wife how well it works cause the she will protest the epic.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the OS is lacking now that I have been using the more mature android OS. The hardware was a joke and the phone only lasted 6 months before literally falling apart and then bricking itself. I am on a buggy refurbed samsung moment now and even with the quirks of a used refurb it is still leaps ahead of the pre and honestly I wont tell my wife how well it works cause the she will protest the epic.

Lol, nice. Yeah, my cousin forgot how to restore his Pre and since he is a die-hard Apple fanboy, he now has a laggy iPhone theme on his phone and can't get it off.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

Wipes the phone though. Palm backup and how he has his accounts setup should restore contacts and such, but apps and such will have to be re downloaded. There was a guy on precentral who tried to doctor the .db3 database file, but there were issues and sadly compatibility issues even with the same patch. But if all he will need are his contacts then doctor the phone, sync contacts and then re-download and install the apps.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
keyword is should restore.. all my apps came back, none of my contacts came back after one of the updates. i have more faith in google's servers.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thats why alot of pre users sync contacts with gmail for stability and restore times. Sadly my bricked pre was not and I lost a few contatcs. Thank God my wife got an android phone and syncs with gmail cause I would have to start all over again.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

Wipes the phone though. Palm backup and how he has his accounts setup should restore contacts and such, but apps and such will have to be re downloaded. There was a guy on precentral who tried to doctor the .db3 database file, but there were issues and sadly compatibility issues even with the same patch. But if all he will need are his contacts then doctor the phone, sync contacts and then re-download and install the apps.

thanks, I'll bring it up to him.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Thats why alot of pre users sync contacts with gmail for stability and restore times. Sadly my bricked pre was not and I lost a few contatcs. Thank God my wife got an android phone and syncs with gmail cause I would have to start all over again.

Man, you guys are lucky. My parents only care about the Blackberry and if I mention ANY and yes, I mean ANY other phone Android, WebOS, iOS, etc., they will just call it a toy regardless if it's better or not. My mom wants to get a Blackberry Torch, even though there are some better options out there at the moment. I guess this loyalty is because my dad went to college across the street from their world HQ (even though it wasn't there at the time)?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Man, you guys are lucky. My parents only care about the Blackberry and if I mention ANY and yes, I mean ANY other phone Android, WebOS, iOS, etc., they will just call it a toy regardless if it's better or not. My mom wants to get a Blackberry Torch, even though there are some better options out there at the moment. I guess this loyalty is because my dad went to college across the street from their world HQ (even though it wasn't there at the time)?

My mom wants the torch cause of the full HTML browser. She gets blackberry, but not too much android. She wants a better camera than her 8330. I was thinking about getting her a bold off-contract, but since she saw the torch and liked it, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until its released for Sprint (already on phonearena's upcoming section for Sprint). My dad could care less. He could get by with a regular phone. He uses it for e-mail, but then, doesn't know how to text message. They do complain about the speed, and envy that I can set to record the Yankee games from the directv app before his app even loads on the blackberry (not really that fast, but its so slow, he doesn't want to use it). I don't think they'd fair well with touch screen phones (I know the torch is touch screen, too). My mom did seem intrigued about the Epic, maybe I can convince her to the darkside.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
"Great phone! I can't believe you can watch tv on it! It's still a toy though. I NEED a phone for work." Typical conversation about phones.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Yeah took some talking into to get my wife into the smart phone/android platform a few months ago but it was worth it. Im not a huge cloud fan, but it saved my butt and her version of my contacts (when my mom calls it says her name and not mom). My brothers will by anything that is neat and popular so android is an easy choice for them. My dad uses a brick nextel phone and doesnt use or care about technology. My mom on the other hand is who got me into technology and, liek me, is a loooooooooong time palm user and getting her into the evo from the treo 755p(I miss hotsync and palm desktop now) wasnt tough at all.

My mom wants the torch cause of the full HTML browser. She gets blackberry, but not too much android. She wants a better camera than her 8330. I was thinking about getting her a bold off-contract, but since she saw the torch and liked it, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until its released for Sprint (already on phonearena's upcoming section for Sprint). My dad could care less. He could get by with a regular phone. He uses it for e-mail, but then, doesn't know how to text message. They do complain about the speed, and envy that I can set to record the Yankee games from the directv app before his app even loads on the blackberry (not really that fast, but its so slow, he doesn't want to use it). I don't think they'd fair well with touch screen phones (I know the torch is touch screen, too). My mom did seem intrigued about the Epic, maybe I can convince her to the darkside.

If its what they like then so be it. Has she tried working on a droid? If she has tried it and still prefers the RIM device then thats what works for her. I thought my mom would die with a palmOS phone still in her hand, but she saw the evo and was waiting in line for one on release day. My dad on the other hand doesnt have an email and uses what looks to be a 1999 nextel 2 way phone.

"Great phone! I can't believe you can watch tv on it! It's still a toy though. I NEED a phone for work." Typical conversation about phones.

Sounds like my grandfather! Minus the work thing. He loves tech but for some reason cannot grasp the idea of working on a phone. I guess its just the party line generation. :p

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If its what they like then so be it. Has she tried working on a droid? If she has tried it and still prefers the RIM device then thats what works for her. I thought my mom would die with a palmOS phone still in her hand, but she saw the evo and was waiting in line for one on release day. My dad on the other hand doesnt have an email and uses what looks to be a 1999 nextel 2 way phone.

Well, she complains about her RIM a lot. We switched from VZW to Sprint a year ago to save some money on a family plan. I plan on jumping from the family plan on the 31st onto my own plan, since I graduated and make the big bucks now (just kidding). I honestly don't think she'll like the Bold, thats why I wasn't going to buy it at Sprint full-retail for her, probably buy it from Craigslist or Ebay. She likes the interface of the Blackberry and hard keys. She hasn't ever had to use my phone or my sister's N1, so she's never really tried an android device. She does like the screen and the camera though (I envy hers at least has a flash).

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, she complains about her RIM a lot. We switched from VZW to Sprint a year ago to save some money on a family plan. I plan on jumping from the family plan on the 31st onto my own plan, since I graduated and make the big bucks now (just kidding). I honestly don't think she'll like the Bold, thats why I wasn't going to buy it at Sprint full-retail for her, probably buy it from Craigslist or Ebay. She likes the interface of the Blackberry and hard keys. She hasn't ever had to use my phone or my sister's N1, so she's never really tried an android device. She does like the screen and the camera though (I envy hers at least has a flash).

Half of us switched to AT&T when I got an iPhone, but now I'm switching back to Sprint. My sister will pick up on the AT&T plan (she REALLY needs a phone now), my mom will stay on AT&T, even after complaining about the dropped calls (go figure), and my Dad's on Sprint. For some reason, my whole family tends to have a grudge on Verizon for no apparent reason.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Well maybe its time to have her try out you android. ;)

Half of us switched to AT&T when I got an iPhone, but now I'm switching back to Sprint. My sister will pick up on the AT&T plan (she REALLY needs a phone now), my mom will stay on AT&T, even after complaining about the dropped calls (go figure), and my Dad's on Sprint. For some reason, my whole family tends to have a grudge on Verizon for no apparent reason.

ATT was OK for me, I did have a decent amoutn of dropped calls. VZW was too expensive and I am definitely not satisfied with their data speeds. Sprint seems to have the perfect balance for me and my needs. My whole family is on sprint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz