Keyboard and Home key timeouts

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I hope the Epic has a way to adjust the timeout for its backlit keyboard and 4 main backlit touch sensitive buttons.

If not I hope there's an app that allows you to adjust the time out.

The backlit keyboard on my Blackberry Tour 9630 goes out after a few seconds unless you fool it by covering the light sensor. Very annoying. Unlike my trusty old Treo 700p whose backlit keyboard stays lit.

On the other hand, the 4 main buttons on my Sprint Hero always goes out after its timeout and you can't wake it up by the trackball. You have to press the Home, Back or some button which sometimes takes you out of the screen you were at before it all went dark. That too is very annoying.

I mean comon' Android....let's have some control over backlighting timeouts!!!

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Keyboard timeout can be set to back light time so no worries

Whew! thanks for the info.

Do you know if the 4 buttons have an adjustable timeout as well?

All the YouTube demos I've seen have had really short timeouts for both keyboard and main button backlighting. A couple even mentioned the dislikes of the shortness of the backlighting. Maybe they didn't know it's adjustable as you say.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

All the YouTube demos I've seen have had really short timeouts for both keyboard and main button backlighting. A couple even mentioned the dislikes of the shortness of the backlighting. Maybe they didn't know it's adjustable as you say.

Yup! Many things are adjustable in the Epic, just many of the shoddy reviewers don't say anything and you have to go find the good ones :)

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

The 4 buttons share the same timeout setting as the hardware keyboard's backlights. So if you change the keyboard's shutoff time to 30 sec and set your screen to turn off after 30 sec, then the screen and the 4 buttons will be timed together ;)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if you can choose whether or not the capacitive button back lights can be dim or bright?

This one's something we've all been questioning for a while, yet there is no evidence for being able to dim the backlight on the capacitive buttons, but there's also no evidence that there isn't. At this point, I don't even know if Samsung is running final OS or a final beta, or even a GM candidate. :confused:

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually, someone said somewhere on this forum that it's not possible in the settings...

Maybe it'll be possible with root?

c3PreO

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I just finished listening to an engadget mobile podcast and one of the speakers commented on the shortness of keyboard/soft button backlight.

Another speaker demonstrated "live" on the air, how to adjust the backlight via Settings/Display/Keyboard Lighting Timeout and how it can be changed to match the screen timeout - just like many of you mentioned earlier.

Thanks to all who set me straight on this feature ;)

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I just finished listening to an engadget mobile podcast and one of the speakers commented on the shortness of keyboard/soft button backlight.

Another speaker demonstrated "live" on the air, how to adjust the backlight via Settings/Display/Keyboard Lighting Timeout and how it can be changed to match the screen timeout - just like many of you mentioned earlier.

Thanks to all who set me straight on this feature ;)

Well, now you know that's one problem solved, what is the next? ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo