Using Another Line's Upgrade?

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I went to Sprint yesterday and the rep told me I could use another lines upgrade on our plan and get the epic. How is this possible and could I do at BB as well?

I think I could get it at BB, have them activate it on the other line, come home and activate another phone on that line which frees up the epic. Would that work?

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I went to Sprint yesterday and the rep told me I could use another lines upgrade on our plan and get the epic. How is this possible and could I do at BB as well?

I think I could get it at BB, have them activate it on the other line, come home and activate another phone on that line which frees up the epic. Would that work?

i think you'd have to first activate the phone on the upgraded line. then wait until you came home and you can swap to the other line. only do this with bb or radio shack since they do instant rebates tho

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
i think you'd have to first activate the phone on the upgraded line. then wait until you came home and you can swap to the other line. only do this with bb or radio shack since they do instant rebates tho

Right thats what I was planning on doing. But the rep at Sprint said he could do it there so maybe I'll give him a call, I mean he was the one who just brought up the idea after looking at our account. My mom doesn't want a new phone, but I just got my hero replaced so I might give her that and get the Epic.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Right thats what I was planning on doing. But the rep at Sprint said he could do it there so maybe I'll give him a call, I mean he was the one who just brought up the idea after looking at our account. My mom doesn't want a new phone, but I just got my hero replaced so I might give her that and get the Epic.

you can do it, but i don't think you would get the rebate

adjmcloon#IM

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Willl they sell the phone to you on a line eligible for upgrade, and let you take it and then you could activate it online at home later?

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I do this all the time, but through telesales. Just easier since they ship the phone unactivated. When I get it, I just activate it online.

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I did this for my Evo through telesales as well. Used another lines eligibility to get the phone for 299. However I did not qualify for the 100 rebate since I activated it on another line after receiving it.

baltimoreevo

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here's what you have to do. You have to activate the phone on the line that is eligible for the upgrade. Then you have to wait 72 hours before you swap lines with the hero. This is what I was going to do to get my evo at first. But my girl wanted the hero and I just ended up buying the evo outright. If you wait to swap the lines I believe you still get the rebate because you upgraded on an eligible line. But your mom would have your phone for 3 days.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've done this several times and we're going to do this again to add an Epic to our plan. You buy the phone from BB or Radio Shack (you can't get it from Sprint because then you won't get the rebate) Yes, they have to activate it on the appropriate line. I let them activate it, but tell them not to set anything up that I want to do it. I promptly take the phone home and switch it to the correct line. So the person with the upgrade is only out of service for a couple hours at most. Not a big deal.

If you get the phone from Sprint and still want the rebate you have to wait 30 days. After 30 days you can swap the phone. It's just easier to do it through BB or Radio Shack.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I may wait til bb gets it in.

I don't know about my BB as I have moved. The previous one I went to was extremely popular though and everything was gone in seconds. Also, they never kept their word! Oh, we'll call you. Yeah, BB@UCLA it's been 2 months! Where's that EVO I called in for? Well, they lost their chance as I'm getting the Epic Tuesday morning.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to do an esn swap without having to take the phones into a sprint store? I don't have an extra phone to put a line on temporarily. Will sprint chat do it for me? What about a bb?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if it is possible to do an esn swap without having to take the phones into a sprint store? I don't have an extra phone to put a line on temporarily. Will sprint chat do it for me? What about a bb?

Sprint chat got me my Master Subsidiary Lock code for my Instinct. They weren't too useful otherwise. Perhaps they may though. You should try.

cwfranklin2

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Now what if there are no eligible upgrades on any lines. Could one possibly activate a new line to get the Epic, then switch the phone over to the primary line and cancel the extra line?

I only ask because my brother wants an Epic and his upgrade isn't until November. He already has his wife on a second line, but she isn't eligible until Decemeber. I would activate a line on my account for him, but I currently don't have a family plan, he does.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
My advice would be to open a new line, get the epic for $200 on amazon and then cancel one of your existing lines when the contract expires.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You can use the upgrade but cannot use any rebates. For instance if the phone is $200 with upgrade and has a $50 rebate the phone will be 200 for you. My family does this all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc