Epic Versus Evo

CozBoogie

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The Evo doesn't justify its proportions. It has a big screen, without having a higher resolution. It has worse battery life, without better performance, it is thick, but has no keyboard. It feels solid, but doesn't have gorilla glass. It's got a kickstand but can't play 720p mkvs. It has HDMI, but is capped at 30fps. I think the Epic is just a more balanced phone in general.

Pretty much the best Evo vs. Epic breakdown right there!!!

late,
Coz

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
The Evo doesn't justify its proportions. It has a big screen, without having a higher resolution. It has worse battery life, without better performance, it is thick, but has no keyboard. It feels solid, but doesn't have gorilla glass. It's got a kickstand but can't play 720p mkvs. It has HDMI, but is capped at 30fps. I think the Epic is just a more balanced phone in general.

dude, that was the dagger to the heart on my debate whether to keep the evo or go epic

mrdavis55

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The Epic doesnt even have Froyo yet... Are we really crowning it king on the first day????

See... Moment... Instinct...Intercept....

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think I will just have to pick it up. I have a rooted evo with fps unlocked and overclocked to 115k. Runs pretty fast but if the Epic that I'm picking up will be about the same then I'll return the Epic.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
See... Moment... Instinct...Intercept....

Samsung looked at those, and they saw failure. That is why they will not repeat the same mistake with the Galaxy S. They are in it to win it.

Besides, they already have Froyo running on the Tab, and they have beta versions already available for the Galaxy S. It really isn't that big of a deal.

jackgopack4

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Coming from the Touch Pro 2...

I really want the Epic. It weights less than the EVO (even though there is a keyboard, which is fantastic). And I just love the keyboard on the Touch Pro 2, and I've been running Android as the main OS (which recently got sound, thanks to the marvelous developers at xda!), but it's time for me to get a new phone.
I would need a lot of convincing to get the EVO over the Epic, because of the better screen, the keyboard, and the gaming power/hummingbird processor on the latter. I can live with 2.1 for now.

hybrid85

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
if a rooted evo with fps unlocked and overclocked is comparable to the epic now, imagine what the epic will be like overclocked and once it gets froyo.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I will just have to pick it up. I have a rooted evo with fps unlocked and overclocked to 115k. Runs pretty fast but if the Epic that I'm picking up will be about the same then I'll return the Epic.

don't get it.. software changes and overclocking doesn't make up the hardware diffferences

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The Evo doesn't justify its proportions.

See that's how I feel about the Epic. Its screen is smaller, yet the physical dimensions are almost the same as the Evo. Samsung should have made the bezel tighter around the screen to take advantage of that 4" size. I played with the Epic for 20 minutes in the store today and to me its killer features are the camera shutter button (awesome) and the panorama shooting mode. I was surprised that TouchWiz wasn't an issue for me, I didn't really even notice it.

savior1974

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted evo, Running Fresh 3.1.0.2 and Kings #8 BFS kernel. I'm getting mid 1400 quadrant scores with the stock clocking from the kernel.

But sadly, nothing you do to the Evo, will make it equivalent to the Epic. The GPU difference alone makes it impossible. While your over clocked, Froyo'ed, FPS unlocked, Evo might perform as well as a stock Epic, imagine what the epic will be like with Froyo and overclocking....

I'll be getting my Epic's today @ 3pm

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ya i would love to win a epic, would finally have a phone that I can use normally and one I can flash the crap out of it, but can't really afford two phones.

adsharits

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
EVO users switching to the EPIC

Are any EVO users making the switch? I just picked up an EVO, like a lot of other people, but the EPIC looks nice.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Either phone is better than 99% of the phones out now. The Samsung has a better screen, faster GPU, and a keyboard. The HTC has a bigger screen(which while not as good, is still pretty damn clear), slimmer form factor, and people seem to like the Sense UI more than Touchwiz(this can be changed of course).

I'm not a 3D gamer, and I personally didn't want a keyboard and liked the Evo's looks. No regrets so far. I plan on checking out the Epic tonight just for fun though.

mb79

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I used the EVO for about 3 weeks. I loved it; great device. I just felt the Epic would be more for me. Form factor for one; it's not much narrower than the Evo, but just enough and has just the right curves to make it feel much better in my hand than the EVO. I like the physical keyboard, however I am loving swype too. Screen is beautiful...just fantastic, plus everything just seems to move smoother and faster on the Epic than on the EVO. I said in another post and will repeat....I'm not dissing EVO at all, it's still a great device. Epic just fits my needs and wants a bit better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma