Super amoled worth not having sense ui?

talbano1

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I have an evo and I'm skeptical about using the epic.. I mean the screen looks amazing but I think with the creation of the swype-esque :pkeyboard (using ShapeWriter btw) there should be no need for physical keyboards nor should android have any need for an iPhone esque skin (why Samsung?!?). Based on all that is the epic worth giving up the evo I love so much? That screen makes my evo feel like I'm watching standard definition over high def

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
IMHO the best thing about the EPIC is it's screen. If it wasn't for the keyboard I would probably get one because of the screen, but I do not like physical keyboards anymore. But I will probably get an EPIC for my GF because she has a rumor and needs a better phone...

anon(24109)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the skin is all that bad and doesn't deviate too far from stock, but I'm using launcher pro any way. I haven't seen the Epic personally, but the screen on other Galaxy S phones is absolutely fantastic, though if you already have an EVO, I don't know that I'd replace it with the EPIC. I do agree with you on the keyboard though, it's really not need, especially with that screen size(I can see the need for some on the Moment/Intercept). Sprint really should have asked for a more Vibrant-like form factor(which I believe Verizon's Fascinate is too), which I think is the best design out of the Galaxy S series so far.

asiana_jones

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I used to have a Nexus One and it had an AMOLED screen and then I switched to the EVO and the screen is almost depressing. It's large and sexy and....washed out.. If I do drop 600 bucks on an EPIC 4G it would be because of the Super AMOLED.

Yesterday I fought with a RadioShack employee who tried to tell me my Evo had an AMOLED screen. He told me he did extensive research. I ripped his heart out and showed him the flyer that was sitting in front of him that proved him wrong.

:D

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I have the evo and don't even use sense. I put launcher pro plus on the phone and use that as the default launcher. It's nothing short of amazing. So if you get the epic, just get another launcher. Aide from not having access to friend steam, I don't have to miss sense at all

bridic

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
The Epic Super AMOLED is superior in two ways, clarity and thinness. I say thinness because it allows the phone to be thinner. People claim they will not get the Epic because of the physical keyboard. The phone is only about 1mm thicker than the Evo. There is no way you can tell the difference just by holding it...I don’t care who you are. So basically, you get all the pros from the Evo + more. IMO, you cannot go wrong with either device but saying the physical keyboard is the reason you will not get it is just crazy talk.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Screen is beautiful as I sit here and scroll through the internet.

Even if you never use the keyboard, this phone feels smaller and has better in the hand form factor than the EVO which I had. Must be the rounded corners.

TypeONeg07

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm debating the same thing. I've only owned Samsung and HTC phones before and liked both. I've just really liked the Sense interface for android but the Super AMOLED screen is really nice too. (Although winning one would make the decision easier) ;)

krazyfiend

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro
/thread

agreed..a litany of options to supplant Sense UI

after having WinMo 6.5 on my TP2 and thoroughly modding and applying various cooked rom's.... Sense UI, although highly customizable, just looks dated -- on an Evo or on any other HTC phone...does it work, sure..could it use a nice aesthetic update, definitely.

mfriggio

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have no love for the sense UI. I started with the G1, LOVED the Nexus and I now have the EVO. The EPIC screen is freaking awesome *IMO*

LonghornTreo

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence between the Epic and EVO, but its the super AMOLED screen that is tipping the scales towards the Epic. I've been waiting a month since my upgrade came available, and barring some initial bad user reviews, I will be getting the Epic. Now if only the price would drop the $50 during the couple of weeks while I wait for the user reviews and announced froyo update.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys I have an evo and I'm skeptical about using the epic.. I mean the screen looks amazing but I think with the creation of the swype-esque :pkeyboard (using ShapeWriter btw) there should be no need for physical keyboards nor should android have any need for an iPhone esque skin (why Samsung?!?). Based on all that is the epic worth giving up the evo I love so much? That screen makes my evo feel like I'm watching standard definition over high def

Question: How can you possibly live with Shapewriter on the EVO? The screen's too big for me to Swype...I'm mean Shapewrite effectively and I have big hands too.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I have no love for the sense UI. I started with the G1, LOVED the Nexus and I now have the EVO. The EPIC screen is freaking awesome *IMO*

No need for "In my opinion" here! You're in the Epic forum! Both phones are absolutely amazing, but after trying the EVO, I decided to get the Epic instead.

DocWllk

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I used to have a Nexus One and it had an AMOLED screen and then I switched to the EVO and the screen is almost depressing. It's large and sexy and....washed out.. If I do drop 600 bucks on an EPIC 4G it would be because of the Super AMOLED.

Yesterday I fought with a RadioShack employee who tried to tell me my Evo had an AMOLED screen. He told me he did extensive research. I ripped his heart out and showed him the flyer that was sitting in front of him that proved him wrong.

:D
@asiana_jones
amazon.com has it for $519.99 if you plan on buying without a contract.

yankees2323

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I was going to wait for the EPIC but I went with the EVO. I'm loving this phone, but the EPIC's screen is beautiful.
I guess it's just good Sprint is finally getting some top of the line phones finally.

mb79

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not missing Sense at all. It's not just the super Amoled on the Epic, it's just about everything else. Don't know if I'm just imagining, but everything seems so much smoother on the Epic. I will, however not diss the EVO at all, since it's still a fantastic device. I actually felt bad for the HUGE stack of EVO's sitting behind the counter at my local store not being touched.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance