Just Picked It Up

May 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the quick first impressions. i was skeptical about the capacitive buttons but sounds like they work just fine. excited to pick mine up later today.

I was worried too so that's the first thing I tested on the phone. Then I tested the gps lol which btw works pe
Perfect in my opinion

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
New user here. Another pre-converts-to-epic member, about to pick mine up pretty soon. I'm hoping to pick up on the android system fairly quickly.

What are some essential 'droid apps (is there a thread like this?), which breakdown its purpose and effectiveness?

Thanks, i'll be checking in often now that precentral is obsolete to me.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations! My contract isn't up until tomorrow so hopefully there'll be a few left out there...
You do realize that as long as you are within 29 days of your contract date, that Sprint will let you upgrade as if it were your actual date. Remember that 30 day trial period.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
New user here. Another pre-converts-to-epic member, about to pick mine up pretty soon. I'm hoping to pick up on the android system fairly quickly.

What are some essential 'droid apps (is there a thread like this?), which breakdown its purpose and effectiveness?

Thanks, i'll be checking in often now that precentral is obsolete to me.

There's a forum for this, just follow the breadcrumbs up or click on forum in the nav.

Also, check the home page, the writers pick applications all the time and review them. There's also an "Apps" link.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
There's a forum for this, just follow the breadcrumbs up or click on forum in the nav.

Also, check the home page, the writers pick applications all the time and review them. There's also an "Apps" link.

I've been reading into the top 5 android apps thread, which blends in with essential apps, as some people have posted. Can't wait to check it out, i'll be on my way now to pick up my phone!

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that as long as you are within 29 days of your contract date, that Sprint will let you upgrade as if it were your actual date. Remember that 30 day trial period.

A few months ago I tried to upgrade a day early and Sprint refused to allow it.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
LOVE IT. keyboard feels good an responsive. bottons at bottom work great IMO. This is my first adroid experience so. The screen is amazing. my battery is already dead...lol I'm so to swiping the bottom with my pre... I installed appbrain but i do nt see the icon . I got mine at the sprint store on central ave in yonkers .. they said after 10 am anyone could pick one up. I got 2 co-workers going to get theres.

PS LOVE IT....

brianb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I too just picked mine up

Capacitive buttons work flawlessly on mine as well - although it is somewhat annoying that the backlight on them turns off so quickly..perhaps there's a setting I can change for that.

GPS seems to lock on quickly and accurately..signal is fantastic. Keyboard feels perfect, and this thing is FAST. So zippy. Not a single sign of lag yet.

Seriously. Awesome phone. I did a speedtest.net run on it using the "unofficial" NYC 4G and got over 4mbit download speeds..pretty impressive, can't wait to see what a full functioning live network gets me!

Phone is light, but doesn't feel cheap. The spring-loaded slider is solid. I own the Droid 2 and will be returning it within my 30 day window - the Epic just beats the Droid 2 hands down.

Don't hesitate with this one guys!

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
A few months ago I tried to upgrade a day early and Sprint refused to allow it.

Yeah I went to a Sprint Store last week and they said I had to wait until Sept 1st. I called customer service and they said if you're on a 2-year upgrade plan they give you up to a 14 day grace period, but the 1 year upgrade folks get no leeway their logic being no other company has a deal like that. In any case the CSR I spoke to thought it was pretty dumb they don't allow early upgrades for flagship phones ala AT&T and the iPhone. Oh well my local store says they've hardly sold any yet and have a big stock. It's a pretty low key store and most people I know around here don't have Sprint.

Last edited:

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Odd. I have upgraded within 29 days for several years. I was actually told it was policy. I'm not due until tomorrow either. I called the Sprint store where my phone is reserved and asked them if I could get it today. They said, "sure, come on in, we're open til 9." Maybe it's just the store I go to but I have been told that (29) days by CS over the phone as well. You might call and ask if you don't want to wait the day.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Picked it up... However, the battery was just about dead out of the box so I'm waiting for a full charge. :) Screen looks amazing though. Keyboard is very nice too.

I will say this, it felt great in hand and it doesn't weigh anything!

Hmmm... Maybe an issue, not getting any sounds from the phone.

Last edited:

grant3d

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My battery was pretty much dead too..kinda odd. I wonder if someone had been playing around with them at some point? The keyboard is fantastic! The power button location is going to take some getting used to. I keep hitting the volume rockers with my other fingers while trying to turn the screen on or off. Im going to have to disagree with the capacitive buttons on the bottom. Compared to the evo these are a pain to get to register correctly :/ I am very pleased with the phone overall so far though!

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys I am a new sprint customer. I just switched from my Iphone. I am having a hard time downloading SMS messages... it gives me an error message every time I try to download a sms picture. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Besides this problem its the best phone ever.

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up mine as well, I'm really liking having the physical keyboard again.

First thing I noticed is how quickly the phone boots. Seems like about half the time it takes the evo to boot.

I like the setup of the homescreens, the samsung widgets are pretty cool. Not quite as nice the sense widgets, but I'm not a big fan of the sense ui so the touchwiz is a nice alternative [id much rather have it vanilla though]

This thing flies, I didn't have horrible lag with the evo but there is certainly a noticeable difference between the 2.

Screen is a bit more clear, not by much though and I would be lying if I didn't say that I miss the extra real estate on the evo. Fat fingers like bigger screens.

My battery was dead out of the box too. Sucks but I just had to throw it on the charger for a while.

Overall I really like the epic a lot. I also like the evo a lot. But I think ultimately having the choice of a hardware or software keyboard on the epic will be my decision maker.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
First smartphone I ever used was the Palm Treo 650. Loved that phone to death. But after that one, I told myself I was never going to use a smartphone with a keyboard anymore because I love touchscreen keyboards (after iPhone came out).

Had the Evo for couple months. Decided to give that to my pops and get the epic to try out. Currently loving and enjoying the keyboard. Best thing is, there is option to use both touchscreen keyboard and the physical one.

Only thing is, I like the HTC stock touchscreen keyboard more. But swype is great.

I did notice my battery level was only half charged. When I bought the Evo, it was fully charged. Hmmm...

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My battery was pretty much dead too..kinda odd. I wonder if someone had been playing around with them at some point? The keyboard is fantastic! The power button location is going to take some getting used to. I keep hitting the volume rockers with my other fingers while trying to turn the screen on or off. Im going to have to disagree with the capacitive buttons on the bottom. Compared to the evo these are a pain to get to register correctly :/ I am very pleased with the phone overall so far though!

Ditto on the capacitive buttons. They stink. Use your thumbs.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Odd. I have upgraded within 29 days for several years. I was actually told it was policy. I'm not due until tomorrow either. I called the Sprint store where my phone is reserved and asked them if I could get it today. They said, "sure, come on in, we're open til 9." Maybe it's just the store I go to but I have been told that (29) days by CS over the phone as well. You might call and ask if you don't want to wait the day.

I think it doesn't count if your are using your yearly premiere upgrade.

I tried to buy on Evo on the 7th with an upgrade on Sept 1, and they wouldn't let me either at the store or at BB. The store people said I could call CS and they would let me, but I wouldn't get the $100 rebate.

DefinedByClass13

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been able to use it much, but I am loving it thus far. It is quite responsive, and doesn't lag at all. I'm loving the feeds page so I can check/update my twitter account. Can't wait to download some apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante