HOWTO: WiFi Tethering - Working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushi

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Just verified this on my device. You will need the following (after Rooting):

android-wifi-tether (I used 2.0.5-pre8)
wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre8.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre8 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

and from the Marketplace: tAttachApkInstaller (some are saying it may install without this app, but this is how I got it working)

1. Go into Settings, select Applications and enable "Unknown sources".
2. Download tAttachApkInstaller from the Android Market
3. Download the android-wifi-tether application
4. When asked, open the file with tAttachApkInstaller

I'll try to post speed links later, but was able to tether my iPad with the default settings and navigate to Google.

Last edited:

sushi

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I used the perm root.

For you new folks to the forums here - be sure to click the Thanks button if the post helped!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I used the One Click method (just a batch file that does all the work for you).

That's what I tried after installing android sdk, installing samsung drivers, putting phone in usb debug and mounting sd card (Win7 64-bit) - but the dos window would just keep freezing half-way through the process of run.bat :(

sushi

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm running x64 as well. I had to disconnect and reconnect the phone after the install failed the first time through.

marioc

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been tethering with PDANet, without rooting just fine. Am I missing out on something doing it this way?

Using the phone to create a mobile wifi hotspot lets any wifi capable device get to the internet. You could tether a laptop, ipod touch, wifi only kindle or nook, etc. Plus the phone doesn't have to be attached to the laptop by a cable. It does use up battery power pretty fast though. So you do have to keep the phone plugged in to an outlet if you plan on using the hotspot for extended periods of time.

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to android and new to android's rooting procedures. Coming from the Pre and webOSQI there will be some learning that needs to be done to get comfortable with working with android.

A couple of questions: I have 2 computers. One runs Win XP and is 32-bit the other is Win 7 and is 64-bit. Would there be any issues with installing tether and/or any other features via both computers assuming I use the correct drivers for each machine? That is, let's say I install this using a 32-bit machine but later on want to remove it and/or update it would I have any problems doing so using the 64-machine?

Also, webOS offers a phone doctor feature which allows you to reinstall the operating system in case your phone were to ever get really screwed up. Being a noob with android I'd hate to ruin my new Epic and not have some type of way to get it back to the stock settings and be SOL on a new phone.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been tethering with PDANet, without rooting just fine. Am I missing out on something doing it this way?

PDAnet is great! I have used them for many years now and will continue for a long time. The only thing youre missing is wifi teathering through such apps as barnacle. Basically turns your phone into a WAP and its pretty neat how they turn it into a little ad hoc and bridge the wifi adapter in the phone to the data connection. But if you have no need for a free wifi hotspot then by all means enjoy pdanet! :)

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to android and new to android's rooting procedures. Coming from the Pre and webOSQI there will be some learning that needs to be done to get comfortable with working with android.

A couple of questions: I have 2 computers. One runs Win XP and is 32-bit the other is Win 7 and is 64-bit. Would there be any issues with installing tether and/or any other features via both computers assuming I use the correct drivers for each machine? That is, let's say I install this using a 32-bit machine but later on want to remove it and/or update it would I have any problems doing so using the 64-machine?

Also, webOS offers a phone doctor feature which allows you to reinstall the operating system in case your phone were to ever get really screwed up. Being a noob with android I'd hate to ruin my new Epic and not have some type of way to get it back to the stock settings and be SOL on a new phone.

There is a safe and easy restore default setting in android that takes the phone back to OEM fresh out of the box state. Just be careful when messing around in an ADB shell, but no worries with apps as I have yet to hear about or see an app that wrecks a phone completely. As for making the change its not that hard as both are linux based. I too came from a pre and I LOVE the feeling that I have more control over my phone. The rooting procedures are ALOT more lengthy then the pre, but I feel more in control of my phone with android then WebOS.

As for your computers just load the drivers to each one and do the same procedure when tethering. The drivers are 32 and 64bit and work the same just meant for a different kernel type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy