Will Epic slider hold up?

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have an Evo but within the 30 day window. Looked at the Epic today. Very nice screen. However, I could help but wonder if the slider would end up with the "Oreo" effect after everyday use. It seems that putting in your pocket a few hundred times would take its toll on the slider. I have only owned one slider, the Pre, and it loosened up with time. Seriously, what are your thoughts?

keenan6

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
If my 5 year old LG phone and a 2 year old Droid slide just like they did day 1, then the damn Epic better be sliding like it is now.

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I dont know but I REALLY hope the Epic isn't a phone that ends up with this problem. I know someone who has a Pre and I've seen it after several month's of use... not pretty. But I trust Samsung to make solid phone's, don't they have a good track record?

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know re Samsung and phones. My wife had the instinct. Hardware was ok. they didn't really do anything with it as promised. So who knows.

AgentRedlum

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Epic today, and it is already twisting. The slider is loose and rattles when I type with the QWERTY. Might be a bad unit though. May return it if I can't get used to it over the next several days.

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
End of day one and mine is still solid. For what its worth I had a moment for about 8 months and it never got loose at all with lots of use, hoping for the same with epic.

sent from my Epic through the cosmos

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate everyone's response regardless if it is painful or not. I have not written off the Epic and still have a window. But after close observation, that is a concern of mine.

Zindoh

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I set my dads epic up today and I couldn’t help but notice the slider does have quite a bit of play in it. Every time I would use the power button on the side, I could feel it wobble some. The keyboard itself is very nice! However the play that it has I’m thinking would start to bother me. The screen and the phone however are very nice. Fast, super smooth, much smoother than my Evo and the screen just looks amazing.

parout66

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I set my dads epic up today and I couldn?t help but notice the slider does have quite a bit of play in it. Every time I would use the power button on the side, I could feel it wobble some. The keyboard itself is very nice! However the play that it has I?m thinking would start to bother me. The screen and the phone however are very nice. Fast, super smooth, much smoother than my Evo and the screen just looks amazing.

That's exactly what I experienced when applying any pressure to the right side. I can't help but think that it is going to loosen up. Additionally, I feel that this is not as much of an issue with smaller brick phones.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Got my Epic today, and it is already twisting. The slider is loose and rattles when I type with the QWERTY. Might be a bad unit though. May return it if I can't get used to it over the next several days.

You have a bad unit. Go see if you can exchange it ASAP as you don't want any mishaps to occur right before you take it in to replace it.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly what I experienced when applying any pressure to the right side. I can't help but think that it is going to loosen up. Additionally, I feel that this is not as much of an issue with smaller brick phones.

Mine has no play in it whatsoever. However, shouldn't we expect this as it is the FIRST day it was released? Have you guys known of a phone that had absolutely no problems at launch?

arashed31

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Samsung is good at making slider mechanisms for phones. You have nothing to worry about other than it getting a little loose over time.

petsik

May 16, 2010
Visit site
so my epic is a little loose when it is covering the keyboard. it wiggles at the top left side when moved. My question is should it be spot on and not be able to move like that? I will return it if it is wrong in anyway. Also you can get $50 off if you go to Bestbuy and tell them that amazon has it for 199.

jd195

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I set my dads epic up today and I couldn?t help but notice the slider does have quite a bit of play in it. Every time I would use the power button on the side, I could feel it wobble some. The keyboard itself is very nice! However the play that it has I?m thinking would start to bother me. The screen and the phone however are very nice. Fast, super smooth, much smoother than my Evo and the screen just looks amazing.

I noticed the same thing with mine. Then I realized that I was pressing the power button (on the keyboard half) with one finger and was using the screen portion for the counter pressure...essentially mimicking the same pressure you would use to slide the keyboard out. Once I adjusted so that the pressure was on the keyboard half mainly, I haven't noticed this issue.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I noticed the same thing with mine. Then I realized that I was pressing the power button (on the keyboard half) with one finger and was using the screen portion for the counter pressure...essentially mimicking the same pressure you would use to slide the keyboard out. Once I adjusted so that the pressure was on the keyboard half mainly, I haven't noticed this issue.

Ah, yes, this happened to me earlier. I got worried, but all I had to do was adjust my finger. When I said there was no play on my phone, I meant that I didn't feel anything afterwords.

nimhero

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I really hope it is solid. I dropped my pre for the hero because of the slider and lack of simple things at the time like text forwarding.

I am buying the epic this week and really don't want to have to trade it in. Even if I like the Evo too, I want the epic!

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I really hope it is solid. I dropped my pre for the hero because of the slider and lack of simple things at the time like text forwarding.

I am buying the epic this week and really don't want to have to trade it in. Even if I like the Evo too, I want the epic!

It's pretty sturdy. Even some reviewers said that there's little to no play. I second their thoughts about it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2