Mac theathering

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok i want to know does it cost extra or is this free? And also where would i find my account name and password for network preferences on the mac

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Tethering in what way? Wifi tether through sprint is supposed to cost 30 a month. Wifi tehter via root only app is free regardless. Pdanet just doesn't work anymore on mac, which is the free nonroot option.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Tethering in what way? Wifi tether through sprint is supposed to cost 30 a month. Wifi tehter via root only app is free regardless. Pdanet just doesn't work anymore on mac, which is the free nonroot option.

PDAnet worked on my Mac through my iPhone as recently as two days ago. Why doesn't it work through Android?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Its the computer version that's nt high enough. Works great on the pc and with win7 parallels. There's also a usb tether app that may work but haven't tried yet.

dvdqnoc

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Rooted Android devices can use wireless tethering, which is just what it's name suggests: tethering without connecting to the computer. I don't know for sure if it works with Mac, don't see why it wouldnt. But you do have to be rooted in order for this to work.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rooted Android devices can use wireless tethering, which is just what it's name suggests: tethering without connecting to the computer. I don't know for sure if it works with Mac, don't see why it wouldnt. But you do have to be rooted in order for this to work.

WiFi signals don't discriminate - if you have a Wifi tether app then anything with WiFi access can connect (Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, etc). I've tethered my Epic to Snow Leopard and Win7 today.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
WiFi signals don't discriminate - if you have a Wifi tether app then anything with WiFi access can connect (Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, etc). I've tethered my Epic to Snow Leopard and Win7 today.

They would if it was ad-hoc or not. Since the wifi tether app is an ad-hoc connection, it works for connecting ipod touch, pc and mac, but does not work for ps3. Sprint app should work for ps3 as I don't believe its an ad-hoc connection.

SoCalMario

May 14, 2010
Visit site

I don't know what you're talking about, my EVO's PDA net works fine on my macbook pro :) (im on this thread to find out info on my wifes epic ;))

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what you're talking about, my EVO's PDA net works fine on my macbook pro :) (im on this thread to find out info on my wifes epic ;))

what version of the software are you using on the mac? Maybe its just me. kinda bummed that it stopped working.

Edit: Um, yeah... after thinking I figured out the issued. I'm an idiot. Remembered you have to turn internet sharing on. I have to turn it off to let Parallels use the internet on windows or ubuntu.

Last edited:

SoCalMario

May 14, 2010
Visit site
what version of the software are you using on the mac? Maybe its just me. kinda bummed that it stopped working.

Edit: Um, yeah... after thinking I figured out the issued. I'm an idiot. Remembered you have to turn internet sharing on. I have to turn it off to let Parallels use the internet on windows or ubuntu.

I think Im using the latest version. I downloaded the pdanet Mac software like 3 months ago. The only time I turn internet sharing on my mac is when I use my mac as a hotsopt via PDANET. But my PDA net works fine with the native PDANET MAC software. No issues at all.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think Im using the latest version. I downloaded the pdanet Mac software like 3 months ago. The only time I turn internet sharing on my mac is when I use my mac as a hotsopt via PDANET. But my PDA net works fine with the native PDANET MAC software. No issues at all.

Yeah, I sent that through tethering once I turned internet sharing on. Forgot about that.

b737thurman

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys. This is the EPIC side of the forum.. Not EVO. SOOOO, I can't tell from this if anyone has got pdanet working on the Epic or not. I have tried everything I know and Epic will not connect to PDANET on my Mac. Worked great on my Samsung moment. If anyone has it working with Epic PLEASE post the settings you are using. Thanks.

Works fine for me.
Make sure internet sharing is turned on on your mac. PDAnet installed on both devices, and that you're using the Samsung Cable (it uses ADB).

Last edited by a moderator:

mrtherford

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have success tethering a macbook to an epic 4g with pdanet? I hve used it twicebut it it does not work anymore, and trying to set it up again has not worked. I have not tryed any other tether software or rooting yet.

bjb_nyj101

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are having trouble tethering via pda net, it's probably the epic's fault, not the app.
I've had Zero problems using pda net on my Evo

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you are having trouble tethering via pda net, it's probably the epic's fault, not the app.
I've had Zero problems using pda net on my Evo

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

I also have no issues on my Epic since I've turned on Internet Sharing. If you use parallels, too, you have to turn it off to allow Windows or Ubuntu to connect to the internet using the connection in the macobook. I even loaded up PDAnet in my Parallels Win7 and got it to work no problem. It stopped working on my hero a while back because I forgot I switched Internet Sharing off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463