Android coming from Palm Pre

sub150#AC

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
WebOS was terribly slow. Honestly...all they needed to do was upgrade the hardware and speed of WebOS 1.4.5.

How they did not do that in a year or even ANNOUNCE a new one 18 months after the Pre announcement is mindboggling.

I didn't need WebOS 2.0 because 1.4 is still the best mobile OS by far. They should have been planning new hardware from day one of the Pre launch when everyone knew it sucked, and speed is as easy as putting in a Snapdragon into the unit. I would have bought a phone with Epic speed and a solid build (BB Torch).

Instead, I think they put to many resources into WebOS 2.0.

And I had read the EVO was kind of hard to get Swype on. I'll check back in with the 2 BB's near me and if they have an EVO I likely will switch. Take the savings of 50 bucks and get a second battery. The Epic is nice, the screen is unreal...but the EVO looks nice IMO and I don't need a keyboard with Swype.

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If you own a Pre and are frustrated with it or just want to buy a really cool phone, I can't think of anything that should keep you from making the switch. The Epic is one cool phone.

Actually I think I'm going to switch BACK to my Pre after using the Epic. The phone is great, don't get me wrong. It's android I can't stand. So here are my gripes:

- bad IMAP email (i tried stock app, k-9, seven, and mail droid. all garbage)
- can't even SMS a contact to someone (i know the EVO can)
- android's "multi task" is super annoying and inefficient
- notifications are not helpful and inefficient
- when you send SMS to 2 or more people it keeps the sms under that message vs. adding it to each person you sent to. So when I search for it, i have to go to that specific message vs. looking up a contact
- task manager: what is this windows?

For some this sounds petty, but I'm less efficient on the Epic than on my Pre. I have, however, got used to using both swype and android keys and didn't need the slide out keyboard. will miss the typing in that sense. Goodbye Epic, goodbye Android.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
WebOS was terribly slow. Honestly...all they needed to do was upgrade the hardware and speed of WebOS 1.4.5.

How they did not do that in a year or even ANNOUNCE a new one 18 months after the Pre announcement is mindboggling.

I didn't need WebOS 2.0 because 1.4 is still the best mobile OS by far. They should have been planning new hardware from day one of the Pre launch when everyone knew it sucked, and speed is as easy as putting in a Snapdragon into the unit. I would have bought a phone with Epic speed and a solid build (BB Torch).

Instead, I think they put to many resources into WebOS 2.0.

And I had read the EVO was kind of hard to get Swype on. I'll check back in with the 2 BB's near me and if they have an EVO I likely will switch. Take the savings of 50 bucks and get a second battery. The Epic is nice, the screen is unreal...but the EVO looks nice IMO and I don't need a keyboard with Swype.

Webos was suppose to release a 4G device in July but because of the buyout it was pushed back. Sprint planned to release a 4G device in June, July and August. I just figure I am better off holding on to my $250 than spending it on a phone that I find to be less efficient in what I mostly use t for. I really thought I would have liked the Epic and have followed this board since day one but Android OS isn't what I thought it would be. It is not well designed at all.

Last edited:

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Webos was suppose to release a 4G device in July but because of the buyout it was pushed back. Sprint planned to release a 4G device in June, July and August. I just figure I am better off holding on to my $250 than spending it on a phone that I find to be less efficient in what I mostly use t for. I really thought I would have liked the Epic and have followed this board since day one but Android OS isn't what I thought it would be. It is not well designed at all.

I think I'm with you there. I have 30 days, and I'm going to give it a fair shot, but I think better phones might be coming around pretty soon.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Rockblast

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I definitely miss multitasking the most. While I think Androids is better that Apple, NOTHING compares to card system of WebOS.

On the epic, I'm constantly using the samsung app widget to close out 6 apps i had no idea were still open that are sucking up my battery life.

My only other complaints are notifications. Other than that the hardware on this beast BLOWS palm away, it's really a shame b/c webOS definitely has the most potential out of any other OS IMO.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I definitely miss multitasking the most. While I think Androids is better that Apple, NOTHING compares to card system of WebOS.

On the epic, I'm constantly using the samsung app widget to close out 6 apps i had no idea were still open that are sucking up my battery life.

My only other complaints are notifications. Other than that the hardware on this beast BLOWS palm away, it's really a shame b/c webOS definitely has the most potential out of any other OS IMO.

*Rolls eyes* you obviously haven't done any reading on how Android Multi-tasks or manages apps. Plenty of resources on here and on the web to show you your reasoning is off. Plus, I don't miss the "Too Many Cards" with NOTHING open. Want to get it back to normal... sure just a simple 5 MINUTE REBOOT.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
*Rolls eyes* you obviously haven't done any reading on how Android Multi-tasks or manages apps. Plenty of resources on here and on the web to show you your reasoning is off. Plus, I don't miss the "Too Many Cards" with NOTHING open. Want to get it back to normal... sure just a simple 5 MINUTE REBOOT.

Yeah man I think some people just want to complain... They rather not read and be informed... Especially when I just posted this about 3-4 pages back... Let me post it again...

Ok let me spread some knowledge about some things that people may not know... Android has task management so there is no need for a task killer.. Unless you know what your doing it can actually cause more harm then good. Memory management within android will take care of that...

Read this article to better understand android task management:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

Also read this article about task killers:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/272645-post317.html

I do find it weird you talk about memory management when the pre gets the too many cards error all the time.. Sometimes making you have to shut down the phone before playing a game etc.. Although palm's OS is nice It suffers from bad memory management...

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah man I think some people just want to complain... They rather not read and be informed... Especially when I just posted this about 4 pages back... Let me post it again...

Ok let me spread some knowledge about some things that people may not know... Android has task management so there is no need for a task killer.. Unless you know what your doing it can actually cause more harm then good. Memory management within android will take care of that...

Read this article to better understand android task management:

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

Also read this article about task killers:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/272645-post317.html

Only thing I really miss in webOS is the notifications... The rest I dont.... Maybe when better hardware comes out and its less buggy I could try it again... But there are still alot of bugs to work out in web OS...

There is also a web os like card switcher but I dont remember what it is called ill try to find out for you guys..

I took a vow to never give Palm another try when their Servers ruined all my contacts. Lost every last one of them from the 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 update. They were never able to recover them. I trust Google's servers a lot more... considering they own more than any other company willing to report how many they own (well over 1,000,000).

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I took a vow to never give Palm another try when their Servers ruined all my contacts. Lost every last one of them from the 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 update. They were never able to recover them. I trust Google's servers a lot more... considering they own more than any other company willing to report how many they own (well over 1,000,000).

Wow are you serious.... I cant believe that... I think I'd die if I lost all of my contacts like that... Like you said Google is 100% more reliable in that aspect.. I only miss a few things from the pre well one actually, notifications... Palms phones were really unstable.. There were alot of bugs which made me not miss it too much..

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Wow are you serious.... I cant believe that... I think I'd die if I lost all of my contacts like that... Like you said Google is 100% more reliable in that aspect.. I only miss a few things from the pre well one actually, notifications... Palms phones were really unstable.. There were alot of bugs which made me not miss it too much..

Yeah... to make it worse. I was away from home with no regular internet or phone service at all. If I needed to call someone, I had to use a calling card, but after the update, had no way of finding their number. I was out on an Indian Reservation in Arizona (great experience btw) for school and they only have GSM. The iphone user burned through her roaming data in 2 days and couldn't use anymore data.

adjmcloon#IM

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
How many of you guys are using Launcher Pro?

Android and the Epic are WAY better than my Pre, and I am a long time Palm fan.

I didn't even bother with Touchwiz, I had launcher pro installed within the first hour of having the phone.

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Visual task manager isn't that bad, but I would like to find something that allows me to open several web browsers, visual task manage just treats web browser as one app regardless if you have several open window browsers. Wondering maybe if dolphin hd does this?

huytrang90

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Visual task manager isn't that bad, but I would like to find something that allows me to open several web browsers, visual task manage just treats web browser as one app regardless if you have several open window browsers. Wondering maybe if dolphin hd does this?

Tap on Menu and then windows. there is no easy way to launch multiple. I remembered there was shortcut to see all your web window, but can't recall. Just have to learn the new eco system. :)

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I've been running some side by side browser speed tests over 3G between a 1Ghz Pre and the Epic running Dolphin HD.

The Pre tends to win quite a lot...

Hopefully the Android browser will get faster in Froyo.

That said, seeing the two side by side really makes me appreciate how much nicer teh Epics display is compared to the Pre.

Run your test with xScope browser. Your results will change.

sparkyr

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
For all of you coming from a Pre like me, the inability to switch between and close apps easily was annoying. I tried Visual Task Switcher but it seemed to buggy to me. But last night I stumbled across a really new app that is awesome called ITCHING THUMB!

Itching Thumb is sooo sweet for ex-webOS users. Double-tap home button and it brings you to your running apps (in card format). however, you can also assign a graffiti to any app and write that on the screen (even if it isn't running) and it launches!

Like I said, I think it was just released and there weren't any reviews on it so i decided to give it a shot. Just downloaded it yesterday so I don't know if it is buggy or not.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
How many of you guys are using Launcher Pro?

Android and the Epic are WAY better than my Pre, and I am a long time Palm fan.

I didn't even bother with Touchwiz, I had launcher pro installed within the first hour of having the phone.
Installed it last week. Love it. It reminds me of my Linux desktop. The screen switching is awesome, ability to customize dock apps is the reason i switched.

Changing the default icons couldn't be any easier. I do wish it supported changing icons of shortcuts those placed on home-screens.

It is snappy and impressive..

I am not sold on the upgrade yet not sure if there is any additioal functionality that i would use.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
For all of you coming from a Pre like me, the inability to switch between and close apps easily was annoying. I tried Visual Task Switcher but it seemed to buggy to me. But last night I stumbled across a really new app that is awesome called ITCHING THUMB!

Itching Thumb is sooo sweet for ex-webOS users. Double-tap home button and it brings you to your running apps (in card format). however, you can also assign a graffiti to any app and write that on the screen (even if it isn't running) and it launches!

Like I said, I think it was just released and there weren't any reviews on it so i decided to give it a shot. Just downloaded it yesterday so I don't know if it is buggy or not.

Sounds promising, I would need to see screen shots and more feedback. keep us posted.. maybe start a new thread for this...

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Part of the reason WebOs was laggy is because even though apps were swiped off the screen didn't necessarily close them.

Android allows a force stop which frees up RAM and makes for a more responsive UE.

WebOs had a very simple way of switching apps, placing them out of the way, and notifications were done elegantly, I think WebOs is clean and elegant but not as efficient with handling running tasks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia