USB tethering

Netop

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted my EPIC and have wifi tethering, but I'd really like USB tethering to work (less power usage, less latency, more secure). Neither my W7 x64 machine nor an old XP x32 machine can recognize the EPIC in tethering mode. I can use mass storage mode just fine, or USB debugging mode, but I just can't find a driver to use in tethering mode.

Any suggestions?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't get regular tethering to work on Snow Leopard 10.6.4, but I have wireless tethering and I think I can figure something out later.

Netop

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
PDAnet. Have you tried that? You will need USB Debugging on. Works without root.

Thanks, PDANet works. Still, I'm not impressed by the price, and technology is pretty crappy (try using tracert over PDANet). I'm glad to have the option, but the phone seems to support tethering already. When I plug the phone in (without USB debugging), I'm given an option for USB Tethering. I just don't have a driver for my PC. Trying to get this thing working well.

Edit: By the way, latency and speeds are much better over USB compared to wifi. This is worthwhile.

Last edited:

Netop

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Update: Installed the day old Samsung drivers for this phone, and now the device is recognized in Tethering mode. Still can't actually connect though :-(

robrob

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Easytether and paid the $9.95 to register it for https support. It has a Bluetooth mode but I can't get it to work, but USB tethering is working fine.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Does tether cost any money? I thought it did but didn't wanna try it. Also is mobile hot spot money as well? (Turning the phone into a hot spot). I'm pretty sure I heard the guy at sprint say it was; but, the application is there and I clicked on it and it never said anything about it being extra.

Yeah, nothing on the app mentions $30 a month and I don't think it currently is blocking 3G. If you root, you can use the other wifi tether app for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
When I do- I don't see USB as an option...

Any other thoughts? Mac mini w/ OS 10.6.4 via USB to Epic.

I second this. I don't see an option either. Also, I can't even get the "SAMSUNG CDMA Technologies" to work (although this wasn't supposed to be used back in the instinct days).

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You know, I wonder if its something Mac did to the USB ports after my Macbook. I vaguely remember something being up with the USB ports and a controversy on what Apple did with them... so they couldn't jailbreak iphones and ipod touches... maybe you all are victim of it for Android? I have a unibody macbook (not pro).

odub303

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You know, I wonder if its something Mac did to the USB ports after my Macbook. I vaguely remember something being up with the USB ports and a controversy on what Apple did with them... so they couldn't jailbreak iphones and ipod touches... maybe you all are victim of it for Android? I have a unibody macbook (not pro).

I bet this is why I cannot get the Macbook Pro to properly recognize my Epic's SD card. I have a 15 inch core-i7 MBP.

mrtherford

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a macbook pro tha I have had little success tethering with pdanet. It workd twice but I can't explain why it did and why it won't now. I set up the serial port in the bluetooth connection settings as instructed but its like I can't connect to the epic with blueooth. Anyone hae any good advice?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a macbook pro tha I have had little success tethering with pdanet. It workd twice but I can't explain why it did and why it won't now. I set up the serial port in the bluetooth connection settings as instructed but its like I can't connect to the epic with blueooth. Anyone hae any good advice?

I don't think bluetooth tethering is supported on the mac.