Using Epic for Bluetooth and Audio Out together in car

alex94z

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
My car has bluetooth for calls which is working great alone.

But when I also plug in a 3.5mm cable for playing music over the car stereo, my bluetooth calls can't be heard anymore. :mad: I guess the phone thinks i have headphones plugged in or something.

Has anyone else ran into this and found a solution? I'd really like to use my Epic for music in the car also so that I can get rid of my Ipod. The only solution I came up with was unplugging the 3.5mm cable everytime i get a call in the car. :rolleyes:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
You're correct--the phone won't allow this function.

a good way around it is to purchase a Bluetooth transmitter/FM transmitter from Bestbuy (think Jabra)
i bought one from Amazon for $59, bestbuy sells them for $99.
the device features the ability to transmit music from your phone to the transmitter (via bluetooth) and then sends that music signal to your radio---just like a wireless FM transmitter on any mp3/ipod.
when you receive a call, the device then pauses your music, and you can answer your calls simply by touching a button on the device. when the call is ended, the music resumes and the phone continues transmitting the music to the device--the device then continues transmitting the music to the radio.

there are alot of Jabra sets out there, make sure you read the specs to see that it supports your version of bluetooth.

quibbs

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the EPIC can't override music to take a call when connected to your car stereo via aux is a deal breaker for me. :(

Is this a known issue? Or just a guess?

I am coming from a iPhone 3g and it does not have this problem. Is this the norm with all Android phones or just the EPIC/Samsung droids?

My phone is being delivered via UPS tomorrow and Im going to refuse it if this is indeed the case.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the EPIC can't override music to take a call when connected to your car stereo via aux is a deal breaker for me. :(

Is this a known issue? Or just a guess?

I am coming from a iPhone 3g and it does not have this problem. Is this the norm with all Android phones or just the EPIC/Samsung droids?

My phone is being delivered via UPS tomorrow and Im going to refuse it if this is indeed the case.

This is how I made hands free calls in the car. It will broadcast call audio through the aux cable, but still take in audio through the standard mic. Not having bluetooth in the car makes this really nice. My mom's car, which I drive occassionally when she needs my suv, has bluetooth and aux in. It doesn't support bluetooth audio. There may be an app that can direct music through aux and calls through bluetooth. I don't know of any, but I've used ROMs on my Hero that had more audio management apps that I knew what to do with.

quibbs

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info Andrew.
Unfortunately, for me at least, it's difficult to lose a feature that I use on a day to day basis. It's a step back to have to look for a solution that may, or may not be there. I just assumed it would work right out of the box. Until I can find a Android phone with this ability (that I want) it appears I am stuck with my old phone... :/

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info Andrew.
Unfortunately, for me at least, it's difficult to lose a feature that I use on a day to day basis. It's a step back to have to look for a solution that may, or may not be there. I just assumed it would work right out of the box. Until I can find a Android phone with this ability (that I want) it appears I am stuck with my old phone... :/

Yeah, I don't know if it does or doesn't Gotta wait for my mom to get home to test it out on her car. Since her's doesn't support Bluetooth audio, it would be a good test.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My car supports calling and music through bluetooth. I'll check tomorrow to see if the Epic can manage both at once even though I use an ipod touch for music since my library is almost 50 gb.

mredamon

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This is how I made hands free calls in the car. It will broadcast call audio through the aux cable, but still take in audio through the standard mic. Not having bluetooth in the car makes this really nice. My mom's car, which I drive occassionally when she needs my suv, has bluetooth and aux in. It doesn't support bluetooth audio. There may be an app that can direct music through aux and calls through bluetooth. I don't know of any, but I've used ROMs on my Hero that had more audio management apps that I knew what to do with.

Yeah that was my preferred method but it doesn't work on the epic 4g. When the audio jack is plugged, all microphones are disabled. I think it assumes you have plugged a wired headset. so i assumed that if I bought a bluetooth, I could get around the issue that way. no dice. when audio jack is plugged, no other output can be selected

chapski

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
You're correct--the phone won't allow this function.

a good way around it is to purchase a Bluetooth transmitter/FM transmitter from Bestbuy (think Jabra)
i bought one from Amazon for $59, bestbuy sells them for $99.
the device features the ability to transmit music from your phone to the transmitter (via bluetooth) and then sends that music signal to your radio---just like a wireless FM transmitter on any mp3/ipod.
when you receive a call, the device then pauses your music, and you can answer your calls simply by touching a button on the device. when the call is ended, the music resumes and the phone continues transmitting the music to the device--the device then continues transmitting the music to the radio.

there are alot of Jabra sets out there, make sure you read the specs to see that it supports your version of bluetooth.

How is the quality of the transmitter? I like the phone but using the bluetooth has been a pain.

azichek

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
You cant even use that method with a bluetooth. I had the same problem so I bought a bluetooth headset.

I would be driving my car listening to music with the AUX jack. My bluetooth is on and connected. When call comes through it will use the bluetooth headset's mic but play the call through the Aux jack. So dumb. True hands free calling is impossible on this phone. My EVO 4g had no problems with this.

amdille

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that was my preferred method but it doesn't work on the epic 4g. When the audio jack is plugged, all microphones are disabled. I think it assumes you have plugged a wired headset. so i assumed that if I bought a bluetooth, I could get around the issue that way. no dice. when audio jack is plugged, no other output can be selected

Wrong. When you plug in the audio jack the phone's mic still works. I just used that on a call last night in my truck. Audio over the car stereo and the caller on the other end heard me just fine. I don't know how Bluetooth plays with AUX, since I don't use Bluetooth. But, it seems unnecessary since the mic on the phone works.

mredamon

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I updated to di18 and I no longer have this issue, also my microphone works now even while audio jack is plugged. Thanks sammy and sprint.

Ricey20

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I updated to di18 and I no longer have this issue, also my microphone works now even while audio jack is plugged. Thanks sammy and sprint.

Tested and bluetooth indeed works like how it's supposed to after DI18 update. Also tested Shazam and Soundhound and these 2 apps work now as well. Wouldn't work before if u had a bluetooth headset connected because the phone mic was disabled if you had bluetooth turned on and had a headset paired (even if it was not connected)

mredamon

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Wrong. When you plug in the audio jack the phone's mic still works. I just used that on a call last night in my truck. Audio over the car stereo and the caller on the other end heard me just fine. I don't know how Bluetooth plays with AUX, since I don't use Bluetooth. But, it seems unnecessary since the mic on the phone works.

"wrong" oooooh so assertive. Actually im not wrong, you just have the most recent firmware. Issue was confirmed and duplicated by samsung tier 2 support. Thanks for playing.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000