Has anyone gone from a Blackberry to EPIC?

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I've been a two year BB user and like it...but my 8330 isn't making it lately.

So has anyone gone from a Blackberry to and Epic? How was the experience...I know email will be difference...but is it a huge change of usefulness?

Thoughts, opinions? Share.

keenan6

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I just came from a blackberry and you really can't compare the two phones. The Epic and Android are just on another level. The possibilities with this phone are endless.

Comparing the Blackberry App world to the Android market is like comparing a Kia to a BMW.

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
I just came from a blackberry and you really can't compare the two phones. The Epic and Android are just on another level. The possibilities with this phone are endless.

Comparing the Blackberry App world to the Android market is like comparing a Kia to a BMW.

Do you feel productivity will be increased/hurt for a business user?

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a BB Tour, and it was a leap into the 21st century! Android had no problem syncing with my Exchange account and I love the way the email and calendar apps look and feel. Overall it's a better experience IMO. The keyboard is pretty nice (admitedly RIM is still the keyboard king). The only reason your productivity may take a hit is because you'll be busy spending time seeing just how capable this phone is.

Posted from my Epic 4G

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I came from a BB Tour, and you could probably be more productive on the Epic just due to its sheer speed and bigger screen. It's also nice to have everything on the cloud, so you can update contacts, calendar, etc. from any computer.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have had most blackberrys in the last 5 years. The last was the bold 9650. I am loving my epic and not even looking back. I will definitely be sticking with my epic!

Netop

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming to Epic from an 8330 myself. While BB is like a well integrated phone, Android is like a little computer. Real browser, email, package manager, tons of apps, concerns over background processes. You'll probably spend a few days reading about it before you feel fully comfortable (I'm still reading).

I advise the switch, although I'm not entirely convinced that Epic is the phone to get as it has a few issues.

tomburns

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I was on blackberry for 6+ years until Tuesday when I jumped ship and hopped on the android train (obviously got the epic). As a stay at home dad who manages a small business, I rely heavily on my mobile device for work and play. A few thoughts:

The screen on the epic is light years ahead of any blackberry I had (last was the tour)
Actual keyboard was essential. I was faster on the tour typing, but am still getting used to this one.
The processor on ny epic runs laps around the BB
Battery life on the tour was not good, but the epic really gobbles battery. I might need to dp a better job of tweaking settings, because I can't make it through a full day on a charge.
I am having issues getting work emails to auto dwnload through pop. This is a huge issue ; can only get them manually telling the email app to refresh). I posted on another topic about this and hope someone finds a fix as this could make me consider switching back to the dark side if unreslved.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I came from Bb Tour, and am actually liking the OS and the phone overall. I have no plans to go back to BB -- at least for a year.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
I was on blackberry for 6+ years until Tuesday when I jumped ship and hopped on the android train (obviously got the epic). As a stay at home dad who manages a small business, I rely heavily on my mobile device for work and play. A few thoughts:

The screen on the epic is light years ahead of any blackberry I had (last was the tour)
Actual keyboard was essential. I was faster on the tour typing, but am still getting used to this one.
Battery life on the tour was not good, but the epic really gobbles battery. I might need to dp a better job of tweaking settings, because I can't make it through a full day on a charge.
I am having issues getting work emails to auto dwnload through pop. This is a huge issue ; can only get them manually telling the email app to refresh). I posted on another topic about this and hope someone finds a fix as this could make me consider switching back to the dark side if unreslved.

Try downloading the k9 email app from the market

qone

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Like someone on here stated -- try out the K9 email client and switch from POP to IMAP if possible. If your mail server support IMAP IDLE you will get push email with K9.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming to Epic from an 8330 myself. While BB is like a well integrated phone, Android is like a little computer. Real browser, email, package manager, tons of apps, concerns over background processes. You'll probably spend a few days reading about it before you feel fully comfortable (I'm still reading).

I advise the switch, although I'm not entirely convinced that Epic is the phone to get as it has a few issues.

All phones have their issues. There is not 1 single phone that doesn't.

allhailcale

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been on BB for 3 years, and the Epic is definitely a step up in many directions. I miss being able to turn the phone off and still use the alarm clock function. I miss the holster magnet that made the phone vibrate in my pocket but ring normal out of it. Most of all, I miss the email client. I could send email from my school account with any signal. Now my school email won't send anything unless I'm using the school's wireless internet. Boo. I can't even set up the account without being on their system. Anyone know a workaround?

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My mom did and she is loving the Epic! Don't forget that she was also the one who SWORE she would never leave her Blackberry.

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey old bb heads i know you guys are more exchange users, i wanted to know if anyone here is using gmail if so do you find it annoying how they bunch all the emails, unlike the bb when you have the advance gmail plug in that collates all replies of that email in one thread you open your email and have to click on the top to see all the threads. i just did the regular email add for my gmail and its going to sync every 5 mins I just want it to be automatic have anyone find a way yet?

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a BB Tour and really like the Epic. I am missing Pocket Informant but Pimlical (from the developer of Datebk6 on Palm) should be available fairly soon.

I did have a problem with pop emails not syncing so I now forward them to separate gmail accounts and everything gets pushed to the Epic and saves some battery as well.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why they ship the phone with such a crappy email client. An email client that does not even support HTML. It's hard to recommend the Epic for serious business users.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
My partner just made the switch. The thing his misses the most: being able to easily take pictures without people noticing. Also if you take a picture portrait it stores it sideways.

Battery life has also been a major issue. I tweaked the syncing and settings and installed juice defender and it's better.

Mike

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

TwistedJake

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a Tour to the Epic. Been a BB fan for a couple years.

BB positives are the magnet holster for different profiles, battery life, ease/speed of typing on the keyboard, simplicity of emailing and solid push.

Epic obviously wins out for everything else. I can deal without the holster and automatic profiles. THe battery life will just take some tweaking and paying attention to to make work for a full heavy day. I'm getting used to the keyboard and starting to really love Swype. I don't think it will ever be as nice to type on as the BB but it works good enough. I use Gmail so it actually integrates pretty nicely with instant notifications.

Overall for me the Epic is the obvious winner but I still see how BB would be better for some people.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams