New Epic user and question!

Geek Girl

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

Just got the Epic and figured out most of it, except I can't seem to figure out
what this one icon is at the top left corner of my main screen.

It is of a camera with a number 1 on top of it. It seems to be something to do with I have one picture unseen or something like that, but I looked at all my pics so it's not that.

Wondering WHAT that means, can't seem to find that in the users manual for it.

Help!?

Thanks so much :)

Geek Girl

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't already, check the notification drawer by touching on the top bar where the icon is and moving your finger down accross the screen to open it (when done, flick it up or touch the back button - third from the left at the button edge of the phone). The answer to this notification may be there.

Have you installed any apps?

Geek Girl

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I'll do that, thanks. I DID install the Photobucket app...So.... what would that mean then in terms of a number in front of the camera icon??????

Geek Girl

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
ah HA, so I did what you told me, and it said something about my media has been downloaded and click on it to view or share, I did and it took me into my photobucket account. So then I backed out of that, went back to home screen and that icon was gone! whoohoo! :) Thanks so much! So that means something has been downloaded then?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
ah HA, so I did what you told me, and it said something about my media has been downloaded and click on it to view or share, I did and it took me into my photobucket account. So then I backed out of that, went back to home screen and that icon was gone! whoohoo! :) Thanks so much! So that means something has been downloaded then?

Icons on this area usually represent a program or a status alert, what you need to do is open the notification drawer as you just did and it will tell you what is about. Many programs use this area to notify you of things going on, others will provide information for you such as temperature (weather programs), battery or memory status and many others. The phone's mail/messaging programs will use this area to notify of mail/txt received or missed calls and pending voice messages to review.

Welcome to Android, hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

Geek Girl

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again, Yep, this is my first Android-type phone and am really enjoying all the features on it, goodness!! :) It satisfies my geektooth! ;P

Geek Girl

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey got one more question, lol.

So....how does one completely/permanently delete the icons from their Applications screens?

Example: I want to delete Nascar and Football icons. I will never use these. I did the 'hold finger on it then drag to the trash can below till both the can and icon turns red' thing, but it is still there and will start up if I click on the icon. :(

FaerieInk

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey got one more question, lol.

So....how does one completely/permanently delete the icons from their Applications screens?

Example: I want to delete Nascar and Football icons. I will never use these. I did the 'hold finger on it then drag to the trash can below till both the can and icon turns red' thing, but it is still there and will start up if I click on the icon. :(

My understanding is that you can not delete these preinstalled applications without "rooting" your phone. Rooting your phone would allow you more access to the OS but isn't recommended by some as it can void your warranty.

Geek Girl

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey again:

Was looking at my 'running services' list and notice that something called IQ Agent Service is running. What is that? Do I want it running? Also the google talk program is always running, when I know I'm not clicking on that Program or anything. Even after disabling it, next time I go to check my phone and go into that list, it'll be running again?!

Also perhaps someone could give me a good idea of what programs should be up and running in that list?

Thanks so much, again! :)

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey again:

Was looking at my 'running services' list and notice that something called IQ Agent Service is running. What is that? Do I want it running? Also the google talk program is always running, when I know I'm not clicking on that Program or anything. Even after disabling it, next time I go to check my phone and go into that list, it'll be running again?!

Also perhaps someone could give me a good idea of what programs should be up and running in that list?

Thanks so much, again! :)

I would strongly suggest to leave the process list alone until you are more familiar with the OS. There are a number of processes that need to run in order to allow network access and sync to widgets, mail, calendar and other functions.

The task manager of the Epic is quite nice indeed, on the first tab seems to list only programs that are safe for the user to terminate with no side effect to the phone. Also you need to know that Android manages the memory allocation automatically "killing" ghosts programs (those sitting idle on the background) as needed to free RAM. There are ways that you can change the memory limits used by Android to determine when to kill an idle program, but you need root access to do this.

I am of the opinion that there is little need (or benefit) in obsessively terminating programs and processes to either save memory, battery or performance. Others I am sure will disagree with my opinion.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair