Why Doesn't the Video or Music Player Pause properly?

Mr Bok

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Holding home does not bring up any video application. The Task Manager shows Video Player running, but there's no such app that I can see. Any suggestions on getting back to a running video?

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
i know you can access videos thru gallery so that might work

You can get back to the gallery app but not to the video playback... when you choose the video it takes you back to the beginning and not to where you left.

This is very odd, you are right, there is no individual video app on this phone. Wow what a major miss on a device heavily touted for video entertaiment.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Why won't Video Player Pause properly

When you play a Video, either from the gallary or via the files, it's fine. If you hit the home button and launch another app and then try and switch back to the video player via long press on home, it's not there. Only the myfiles. You can reselect the video, but it starts from the beginning.

In the Pre world, the true tasking just pauses the video, and when you flick back to it, its right where you left off.

you tube...You start watching a video. You move to another task, and come back, and it starts from the beginning and any video that had pre-cached is gone?

What is up with this 'multitasking...' Am I missing something or should I have stayed with the Pre?

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Video Player question

I downloaded a movie to my Epic. I'm playing it. I then pause, go to another app. There is no way to get back to it other than going to files, reselecting it, and sliding back to about where I left off.

Where is the multitasking? Should the video player show in the task list??

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hold down the home key then a window will appear and it will allow you to select the app that you were using.

The video player on the Epic is part of the Gallery app, if you do this you will see the Gallery but no video player (however, you will see the video player app displayed on the task manager window which allows you to terminate it but not switch to it).

When you switch to Gallery, it will take you to the main screen where you can choose the movie that was playing but it will begin playing from the begining again not from where you paused.

This is one of the several minor software issues we are seeing with this phone.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hmm thats weird. I never tried it until now. I hope this is in the 2.2 list of fix its, but honestly Ill settle for video out like the other GS phones.

Mr Bok

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I too am surprised at how many things the Pre simply did better. There's been a couple of threads about the video player issue, and I don't use utube enough to have noticed its issues.

I don't see going back to the Pre, but given some of these eficiencies, I could see myself with a Pre2 this time next year.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
When you play a Video, either from the gallary or via the files, it's fine. If you hit the home button and launch another app and then try and switch back to the video player via long press on home, it's not there. Only the myfiles. You can reselect the video, but it starts from the beginning.

In the Pre world, the true tasking just pauses the video, and when you flick back to it, its right where you left off.

you tube...You start watching a video. You move to another task, and come back, and it starts from the beginning and any video that had pre-cached is gone?

What is up with this 'multitasking...' Am I missing something or should I have stayed with the Pre?

This has nothing to do with multitasking, the problem is that the Epic does not come with a standalone video player application, you are playing your video/movie through the Gallery app instead. When you switch to another task and come back, you come back to the Gallery (or the file explorer if that is where you launched intially) instead- from there when you select the movie it starts playing from the begining once again. In the case of YouTube, the latter IS a standalone app you can return to when needed.

An Epic oversight for a multimedia entertaiment touted device as this one if you ask me.

The potential solutions to this involve:

1. Getting a standalone video playing app ~ some have suggested Act1 from the market (has a trial app).

2. Would be to "unbundle" the video player from the Gallery making it a standalone app you can switch back to.

3. Reprograming the Gallery to return you to the last window/activity at the point that you left instead of the main screen.

The last two can be easily done by Samsung on a firmware update, or fixed by a "cook" on a custom ROM.

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
AndroidOne, Great Answer...

That being said, check out this youtube vid:
YouTube - Sprint EPIC 4G Accessories

Look around the 35 second mark. There is distinctly a "Video Player" In the task manager and it picks up where it left off.

Only explanation is they changed this at the last minute before release.

Has anybody here been able to resume a video after switching away from it?

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
The video player on the Epic is part of the Gallery app, if you do this you will see the Gallery but no video player (however, you will see the video player app displayed on the task manager window which allows you to terminate it but not switch to it).

When you switch to Gallery, it will take you to the main screen where you can choose the movie that was playing but it will begin playing from the begining again not from where you paused.

This is one of the several minor software issues we are seeing with this phone.

Sounds like a good answer but how come at 35 seconds on this video:
YouTube - Sprint EPIC 4G Accessories
It shows a 'media player' and they are able to resume? Did Sprint change something at the very last minute??

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
If you go to the task manager you will actually see the video player app listed but you can not select it, only terminate it. Go ahead, try it.

This why I think the video player app was bundled into the Gallery as it has it's own distinct name and icon listed on the task manager. Go figure!

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Still, did you look at that youtube video. They are distinctly switching to it and resuming.

Yeah, but it does not work that way on the released Epic. May be works only when the docking app is installed, haven't tried that yet.

BTW the Epic, AFAIK, did not come with the Avatar movie pre-installed as other Galaxy phones did, I do suspect this was a pre-production unit.

Last edited:

mulcher

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Music won't play in background

First I noticed that if you switch away from playing a video, the 'video player' app isn't there in the task manager to switch back to so you have to start from the beginning.

Now I went into 'my files' to play an MP3 I transferred. I wanted to now use the phone for something else and listen to the music. Something even the original Iphone can do, and the mustic stopped! I had to go back to 'my files', find the file and it played from the beginning.

This CANNOT be the way this is supposed to work. Can anybody else do this properly? If so, what are your steps to playing mp3s?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca