Gorilla Glass on Epic different than iPhone 4?

deadpanwalking

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I went into my local Sprint Store today in order to purchase a spare battery and the salesperson was really pushing me to purchase a screen protector as well. I let out a hearty chuckle, then politely informed him that I wouldn't be needing a screen protector because my Epic 4G has gorilla glass. He then told me that the Epic 4G screen is still prone to scratching and that I should really consider purchasing a screen protector. I informed him about the various youtube videos demonstrating the seeming indestructibility of the gorilla glass, then went on my way.
Still, it got me to thinking: was this salesperson being honest about scratches on the Epic 4G screen? Also, a number of you have been discussing various screen protectors for your phones. Do you know something I don't know? I went with Phantom Skinz for my Palm Pre, but haven't felt the need to look into a skin for the Epic.

deadpanwalking

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
That's another thing: the screen protectors sold at Sprint stores are NOT inexpensive relative to the other (and perhaps superior) ones you can find from online retailers. I got 2 sets of Phantom Skinz for 5 bucks, and even the more expensive (and thicker) Invisible Shield I purchased for 10 bucks, shipping included. I assumed the Sprint store employee would stop his spiel at the mention of the word "gorilla glass," but no, he just kept on going. I think what we have here are salespeople who are clueless about their product.
Shocking, I know.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I think what we have here are salespeople who are clueless about their product.
Shocking, I know.

Yeah because it's so easy to know all the features of the entire Sprint/Nextel product line consisting of god knows how many phones, air cards, netbooks, mifis as well as all the technologies and plans etc which by the way constantly change. So in a lot of cases you're going to know more than the rep about the phone you've probably studied online as opposed to the rep who has to have a general knowledge about everything they sell.

Last edited:

justkeptfading

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah because it's so easy to know all the features of the entire Sprint/Nextel product line consisting of god knows how many phoned, air cards, netbooks, mifis as well as all the technologies and plans etc which by the way constantly change. So in a lot of cases you're going to know more than the rep about the phone you've probably studied online as opposed to the rep who has to have a general knowledge about everything they sell.

Zing.

BearFace712

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't going to buy a screen protector for my phone for the exact reason that you stated - its made with gorilla glass - but just today I took my phone out of my pocket and there was a small but surprisingly noticeable scratch on the center of the screen. :mad: I have no idea how it happened since I keep it in a pocket separate from everything else but needless to say I am pretty upset about it. I am really happy with my phone and haven't noticed most of the problems people are complaining about except my phone will randomly stop recognizing the SD card. This isn't a big deal but now I am considering returning the phone using that as an excuse so I can get a screen without any scratches (although I don't want to get a phone with the dreaded GPS issues people are talking about). Petty, I know, but I did just pay $350 for it. :eek:

So I just ordered a screen protector from Phantom Skinz a couple hours ago to keep this from happening again. Use the coupon code - summersale2010 - for 30% off your order.

deadpanwalking

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah because it's so easy to know all the features of the entire Sprint/Nextel product line consisting of god knows how many phones, air cards, netbooks, mifis as well as all the technologies and plans etc which by the way constantly change. So in a lot of cases you're going to know more than the rep about the phone you've probably studied online as opposed to the rep who has to have a general knowledge about everything they sell.

If your store is opening an extra two hours earlier just to sell one device, I'd like to think you'd know that it had something as advanced as gorilla glass. If you are in the business of selling phones, it would also be a smart move to have some kind of knowledge about the latest in screen technology (i.e. gorilla glass).

I wasn't going to buy a screen protector for my phone for the exact reason that you stated - its made with gorilla glass - but just today I took my phone out of my pocket and there was a small but surprisingly noticeable scratch on the center of the screen. :mad: I have no idea how it happened since I keep it in a pocket separate from everything else but needless to say I am pretty upset about it. I am really happy with my phone and haven't noticed most of the problems people are complaining about except my phone will randomly stop recognizing the SD card. This isn't a big deal but now I am considering returning the phone using that as an excuse so I can get a screen without any scratches (although I don't want to get a phone with the dreaded GPS issues people are talking about). Petty, I know, but I did just pay $350 for it. :eek:

So I just ordered a screen protector from Phantom Skinz a couple hours ago to keep this from happening again. Use the coupon code - summersale2010 - for 30% off your order.

This is the kind of information I was looking for, and its also a bit disconcerting. I actually don't think its petty at all to want to return it for even a small scratch. I do like Phantom Skinz however. Its perfect for keeping your phone from getting those small niggling scratches from little things. The Zaggs are way too thick even to the point of affecting touch screen performance. If its possible to scratch these screens without doing anything drastic to them, what is the good of this gorilla glass? Did Samsung get an inferior version of it compared to the one on the iPhone 4?

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
FYI - coming from the Captivate forum to see what is going on with the Epic. Everything that we have found indicates that Gorilla Glass is only available on the international version of the Galaxy S phone - not the US carrier versions. The Corning press releases specifically say the Galaxy S Premium Smartphone (no "s" after smartphone) have the Gorilla Glass. There have been several posts at the Captivate forum about other people getting scratches on their phones. Corning Supplies Gorilla® Glass for Samsung Galaxy S Premium Smartphone

There is still a debate about this and several people have emailed Samsung about the availability of Gorilla Glass on the US versions and the replies have been confusing and vague. It is possible that the US versions have it, but no one with authority is saying yes or no.

Last edited:

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
This really makes me angry. I specifically pushed my user into an epic over an evo because he treats phones like a chimp.

He spent $499 full retail.

I spent as ton of time training this former blackberry user only 2 months into a new blackberry sprint contact.

It is a nice phone, and I have enjoyed learning about all the differences between my evo and his epic, but I am angry if the term"premium" is meant to mean non u.s.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

marisdaman

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Check this story out.. We have 2 Epics in our home and Sunday I was explaining to her and her friend the goodness of her epic4g. when i got to the screen and said that it had gorilla glass and you don't have to worry about scratches, my wife laughed and said "HA! I got 2 scratches on it already on the screen and its just been in my pocketbook" I was baffled and asked to see the phone and behold 2 minor scratches were there. Now we have a running joke of when we see things fall of get scratched we scream "Gorilla Glass?" and chuckle.

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Isn't that their job to know everything about all of their products? I don't see any reason to cut them slack, I don't get special treatment in my profession.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Isn't that their job to know everything about all of their products? I don't see any reason to cut them slack, I don't get special treatment in my profession.

Yes to an extent, but to know the type of glass that are on all their phones? I would fault the rep if he/she didn't know the basics about the Epic like processor, screen type (Super AMOLED, not glass type), Android, Touchwiz, 4G, etc. I am not going to fault that same rep to know the type of glass used. It's even being questioned HERE whether the Epic has Gorilla Glass, and this is a board dedicated to the Epic filled with people who obsess over their Epic, so how would we expect the average rep to know something we cannot confirm ourselves with the internet at our fingers.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

It is their job to know. I support a plethora of hardware and software that make sprints offering of hardware and software seem trivial. Its not hard to know about what your selling and supporting. Its just frustrating when they constantly give out incorrect information. For instance they recommended a task killer to one of the other customers buying the epic when they had an advocate there. He was right on board with the idea when all they had to do is use the samsung one that wont ruin the phone. Now I understand that a rep may not know as much as someone who has been researching the phone like most of us did and that is fine, but an advocate that is clueless is just wrong.

As for the gorilla glass we will have to find out for sure as I have had my phone in with my keys and no scratches as of yet. No I didnt do it on purpose I was tailgating and the beer was flowing pretty good.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
It is their job to know. I support a plethora of hardware and software that make sprints offering of hardware and software seem trivial. Its not hard to know about what your selling and supporting. Its just frustrating when they constantly give out incorrect information. For instance they recommended a task killer to one of the other customers buying the epic when they had an advocate there. He was right on board with the idea when all they had to do is use the samsung one that wont ruin the phone. Now I understand that a rep may not know as much as someone who has been researching the phone like most of us did and that is fine, but an advocate that is clueless is just wrong.

As for the gorilla glass we will have to find out for sure as I have had my phone in with my keys and no scratches as of yet. No I didnt do it on purpose I was tailgating and the beer was flowing pretty good.

Your example made no sense. I fully recommend a task killer because the Samsung one doesn't even show 1/3 of the apps that are actually running. It doesn't show Sprint Hotspot, NFL Live, Sprint Navigation, Qik, etc etc.

And again, the original complaint was about Gorilla Glass and the rep didn't know. And the fact remains there's no confirmation anywhere that the US version of the Galaxy S phones have Gorilla glass.

Both are poor examples of "clueless reps".

BearFace712

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site

If you just want a screen protector rather than a full body cover you can get them for $10 at phantomskinz.com
Each purchase comes with two skins and a lifetime warranty where they will send you more if you send an used one back and explain why you need a new one.
Use the code summersale2010 and you will get an extra 30% which means two skins for about $6.50 which is a pretty good deal considering I like phantom skinz much better than invisishield or any other product out there.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Your example made no sense. I fully recommend a task killer because the Samsung one doesn't even show 1/3 of the apps that are actually running. It doesn't show Sprint Hotspot, NFL Live, Sprint Navigation, Qik, etc etc.

And again, the original complaint was about Gorilla Glass and the rep didn't know. And the fact remains there's no confirmation anywhere that the US version of the Galaxy S phones have Gorilla glass.

Both are poor examples of "clueless reps".

You quote that as if I said that exact term and I didnt. Task killer has caused more issues then it has helped and that has been proven time and time again. Even sprint reps, that are informed, say the same thing.

If your job is to support, recommend and consult people on wireless technology then you should be knowledgeable about it and not knowing a common issue like task killer issues, shows poor skills in your field and a lack of initiative in learning your job. I have met many reputable and well informed sprint reps, hence why Im still a customer. But I have also run into many who seem like they just dont care and spout off misinformation. Its wrong and it is also screwing the lamen when they walk in to get information.