How do you spell check sms text & email

a99simp80

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all, i am a new android convert, after years of being a blackberry user (tour 9650 was my most recent bb) i am glad i finally made the switch. I have had my epic for 3 days now and i am getting fairly familiar with it. maybe i am overlooking it but i cant seem to figure out how to spell check sms msgs or email. i have gone into my settings and have selected the auto correct feature but when i intentionally misspell words i get no correction. i also can not find a way to activate a manual spell check. has anyone else had this issue? please advise. thank you in advance.

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if I'll get burned at the stake for saying this, but on my iPhone I had the same feature where it would tell me with a red squiggly line that I'm wrong (ios4.0). I did hate the initial means where it would popup a bubble with the correction and if you kept typing it automatically accepted the correction, very annoying when it goes from lol to LOL.

Anywho, back on topic, I too would like to know if I have to download a separate app for this or if it has some buried setting I'm missing for spell check vs correcting typos.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know the Epic does not offer spell checking function on the keyboards ~ yet another glaring oversight on the part of Samsung.

I installed Swiftkey Beta from the market and this provide with excellent prediction even for the physical keyboard which adds a work around functionality for the lack of native spell correction.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Well then read the above post and you shall start on the path to enlightment.

We had a near simul-post so I didn't see your comment since it wasn't there when I originally hit the "reply" button... but I see it now so thanks! I'll try it out...

a99simp80

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the tip. the app works great. its a bit annoying i have to enter a passcode each time i sms or email but its a lot better than misspelling tomorrow and looking like a complete idiot! LOL