Jump ship from HTC Hero?

papachan

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Any former HTC Heros???

My concerns before I do:

Proper SYNC'ing of Outlook Contacts and Calendar Dates
(I know, I know, Samsung DOES NOT have that solution...)
I'm ready to jump the Outlook ship if I can find something reliable.

- How's Google Contacts and Calendar Dates working out for you?
- Third-party solution? (Exchange is out of the question...)
- Any (creative) solutions would be appreciated!

HTC Sense to SAMSUNG TouchWIZ

- Do you miss the Sense?

My upgrade comes up in October... Shall I wait longer for 2.2???

Gracias!

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Any former HTC Heros???

My concerns before I do:

- Do you miss the Sense?

Gracias!

Many of the members have posted apps that will work for you. You can get LauncherPro (it doesn't slow down your phone) to replace TW. Get that along with FancyWidget to make your Epic look like a HTC Sense phone. :)

bjb_nyj101

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Many of the members have posted apps that will work for you. You can get LauncherPro (it doesn't slow down your phone) to replace TW. Get that along with FancyWidget to make your Epic look like a HTC Sense phone. :)

There is much more to a custom ui skin that the launcher / app drawer. Launcher Pro and ADW can only do so much...

Samsung, Motorola, and HTC change:
*the dialer
*the email client
*the messaging app
*contacts app
*calendar
*camera
*music player
*and other miscellaneous things

If he likes several things from Sense UI more than TouchWiz, it's not as simple as installing ADW to "get rid of tw"

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
There is much more to a custom ui skin that the launcher / app drawer. Launcher Pro and ADW can only do so much...

Samsung, Motorola, and HTC change:
*the dialer
*the email client
*the messaging app
*contacts app
*calendar
*camera
*music player
*and other miscellaneous things

If he likes several things from Sense UI more than TouchWiz, it's not as simple as installing ADW to "get rid of tw"

What I meant was that he can remove the Touchwiz launcher and get alternatives. He can't theme what you posted above, but he can certainly get app alternatives.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Any former HTC Heros???

My concerns before I do:

I was a chronic Outlook user before I moved to Android as all my prior platforms offered adequate sync functinality. Had doubts like you about the "cloud thingy" and hesitated to move any info into Gmail. I decided to take the plunge and moved all my data (contacts/calendar/notes) to Gmail just before getting the Evo.

It took some adjustments but after a couple of weeks, didn't miss Outlook at all. I planned to use GMail as a conduit between phone <> cloud <> desktop, but now I don't sync with outlook anymore. Seeing how easy and seamless it was to transfer all this data automatically when I activated the Epic has convinced me this was the right move for me; no more struggling with transfering my vital info anymore.

- Do you miss the Sense?

Gracias!

They are different, period. You need to try it and see for yourself.

I like Sense widgets way better than TouchWiz ones, but you can get similar widgets from third-party apps. You have to adapt to the new UI and customize it to your taste.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I was long time SenseUI user (WinMo and then the Hero), but I really have come to like the flexibility of other launchers and apps/widgets.

For $6 I have replaced just about everything I loved about SenseUI AND I've been given the added bonus of the ability change many things about the widgets that are not user definable with Sense.

I'd recommend taking a look at:

LauncherPro Plus
Beautiful Widgets
The "Pure" series of widgets
Handcent
Android Agenda

Plus I've got swype, which you don't have on most HTC phones (yet). I really haven't looked back at SenseUI and missed it.

As far as Outlook sync, check out companion link.

papachan

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I was a chronic Outlook user before I moved to Android as all my prior platforms offered adequate sync functinality. Had doubts like you about the "cloud thingy" and hesitated to move any info into Gmail. I decided to take the plunge and moved all my data (contacts/calendar/notes) to Gmail just before getting the Evo.

It took some adjustments but after a couple of weeks, didn't miss Outlook at all. I planned to use GMail as a conduit between phone <> cloud <> desktop, but now I don't sync with outlook anymore. Seeing how easy and seamless it was to transfer all this data automatically when I activated the Epic has convinced me this was the right move for me; no more struggling with transfering my vital info anymore.

They are different, period. You need to try it and see for yourself.

I like Sense widgets way better than TouchWiz ones, but you can get similar widgets from third-party apps. You have to adapt to the new UI and customize it to your taste.
Thanks for the reply... Great feedback!

How do/did you deal with email?
Are you Gmail only? Gmail + something else (work, personal (through ISP))?
Do you load Gmail up with POP accounts? Or do you forward email to Gmail?

Thanks in advanced!

papachan

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I was long time SenseUI user (WinMo and then the Hero), but I really have come to like the flexibility of other launchers and apps/widgets.

For $6 I have replaced just about everything I loved about SenseUI AND I've been given the added bonus of the ability change many things about the widgets that are not user definable with Sense.

I'd recommend taking a look at:

LauncherPro Plus
Beautiful Widgets
The "Pure" series of widgets
Handcent
Android Agenda

Plus I've got swype, which you don't have on most HTC phones (yet). I really haven't looked back at SenseUI and missed it.

As far as Outlook sync, check out companion link.
Companion Link has good and bad reviews... Quite a mixed bag...

Is it inevitable that everyone will migrate all their stuff (contacts, dates, notes) to Google (Gmail)?

Outlook is bloated BUT has nice advantages to Google's online apps...
Not buggy and slicker...

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply... Great feedback!

How do/did you deal with email?
Are you Gmail only? Gmail + something else (work, personal (through ISP))?
Do you load Gmail up with POP accounts? Or do you forward email to Gmail?

Thanks in advanced!

I mostly use email for personal and very limited business communication. I have four different email accounts (personal/more of a business nature), so to simplify my life I set all to forward to my main Gmail account and set this one on the native Gmail app which offers push. Now I get all messages instantly while on the move. You can always setup each account individually of course.

The drawback of this is that you can not compose mail using a particular email address from the Gmail app. Since I have limited need to do this (only with my business address), I set up the email account I need to use for some limited business reply on the other (Samsung) email app and keep that app closed and not syncing. Only use it to reply when needed.

For more heavy email use, you can use K-9 or mail droid, most people here seem to like those as they offer more options. I have never used them as I don't really have a need, I believe those are free apps.

dweeks

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Companion Link has come out with a beta version of the app that works with Froyo 2.2.1 on the Epic 4G. I installed it today and it works like a champ for sync of outlook with my phone contacts and calender.