Sprint EPIC 4G Useless Indoors

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Sprint EPIC "4G Service" Useless Indoors

At my home in Haverhill, MA it works like a charm outside....full boat signal and it flies speed wise.

Walk in the house and the signal drops to a fragile connection.

Assuming it was just a fluke at my house, I tried it this morning in Boston as well while going to a project meeting.

Same thing...wonderful signal outside with great up and down speeds....walk indoors and POOF...it's gone.

What good is it if it only works OUTDOORS?

Are others finding this issue as well?

I have started a thread on the SPRINT website about this as well since it seems that SPRINT actually does monitor those threads and gives them attention...

Samsung Epic:Sprint EPIC 4G Useless Indoors

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Seeing that this phone has been out for 2 weeks now, and nobody has started a similar thread, I would say you are either unlucky enough to have poor coverage at both locations, have a defective phone, or need get yourself one of the Sprint airrave.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Sucks for you. My phone works fine even at my work in a huge office building. Strong 3G signal, streaming Pandora all day and even Sprint TV if I wanted to.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Seeing that this phone has been out for 2 weeks now, and nobody has started a similar thread, I would say you are either unlucky enough to have poor coverage at both locations, have a defective phone, or need get yourself one of the Sprint airrave.

I agree. This has never been an issue with my Epic and this is the first mention i've heard.

dcvanderbush

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe that I read something regarding the 4G signal being in a higher spectrum that doesn't permeate buildings as much as the lower spectrum signals like 3G and 2G signals do... let me see if I can find it.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe that I read something regarding the 4G signal being in a higher spectrum that doesn't permeate buildings as much as the lower spectrum signals like 3G and 2G signals do... let me see if I can find it.

Its true, but I don't think he is talking aout 4g

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have good signal indoors also. Actually in my warehouse my friend with att and verizon both lose signal while I have a steady 3 bars. Oh and my iPhone buddy is on EDGE too, haha.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I think perhaps I worded the title incorrectly.

3G works fine...it is 4G which does not work indoors.

Also, what good is 4G if you're trying to use the phone as a hotspot if 4G doesn't penetrate buildings?

Last edited:

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
6 inch thick concrete walls and windows that cut all wave lengths in half (or something like that to reduce heat) and I still manage to get 1-3 bars. Nobody else in my building gets signal, even other sprint customers.

Ah.. 4g... well if I open the window I get full 4g :) In my area (baltimore) the map shows some areas with blue, and dark blue, and it says the "dark blue" areas can pierce buildings. Unfortunately this is not the case for the exact location I'm in (elkridge).

See attached map :)

Last edited:

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with 4G in downtown Kansas city. If I walk outside to smoke I get full 4G bars and great download speeds. As soon as I walk inside my building the 4G radio disconnects. My 3G is perfect though...You would think the city where Sprint is headquartered would have super strong 4G, but that is not the case.

Edit:

Just checked the sprint 4G coverage map and my building is located in an area where I should get 4G inside a building....the map is a lie!!

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
How were you other phones inside the house? I know from experience that my house just doesn't like cell phones.

My iPhone from ATT way back when never got signal in my house. It would have to stand in the corner of a room for it to find a few bars. Same thing with my Bold 9000; and, when I switched to sprint with my Curve (which I returned the day later) and then the tour 9650. I find the the epic fines better signal than my BB's did.

Also, there are several verizon accounts in the house who have little service as well. It's funny though because I'll walk outside my house and get bars; but, in some areas within my house I roam on verizon. But the verizon phones aren't getting service, lol. It's weird.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
When I am in downtown Chicago in my office building 4G works great full bars. Now at home once inside my apartment which sits right on Lake Michigan 4G is pretty non existent, which sucks seeing as though I pay the extra 30 for the hotspot!

Atlienzz

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Of all my 2 months in the Samsung Epic forums, I have NEVER seen this issue.

That surprises me. My buddy at work has an evo and he doesn't get 4g inside our building either. Seriously as soon as the door closes behind me when walking in 4g loses signal even though I'm in a superstrong 4g area.

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My Epic is always one bar below my Pre.

I've noticed the Epic doesn't send SMS on just one bar (it says the message wasn't sent, but almost always is).

One bar doesn't seem to be enough for e-mail syncing either.

That said, I have fairly solid Sprint coverage at home and work -- so no major issues here.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
That surprises me. My buddy at work has an evo and he doesn't get 4g inside our building either. Seriously as soon as the door closes behind me when walking in 4g loses signal even though I'm in a superstrong 4g area.

Notice the "Epic". I saw this issue with the EVO, but when I tried 4g inside my house, it worked just fine in a spotty signal area...until I lost a signal. I barely have it though as I live in LA.