Sorry about the ambiguous title - it's kind of a strange issue, and I wasn't really sure how to phrase it. Actually, I'm not even sure if it's an issue. Read on.

Try a little experiment: Tap the middle of the right side of your screen (listen to the sound). Now, tap the left side (also the middle). For me, the left side feels much...hollower, for lack of a better word. Is this just because of the slider mechanism being on the right side?

I've attached a picture below...it shows the side view of the left side of the phone. As you can see, there is slight separation between the bottom and top halves, which becomes more pronounced the farther "down" you go. Is this normal? Am I just being silly?

I keep telling myself I'll get used to it, but I need to ask before I go crazy haha
    09-15-2010 09:14 PM
    You're not crazy; I have the exact same thing on mine.
    09-15-2010 11:35 PM
    Sorry about the ambiguous title - it's kind of a strange issue, and I wasn't really sure how to phrase it. Actually, I'm not even sure if it's an issue. Read on.

Try a little experiment: Tap the middle of the right side of your screen (listen to the sound). Now, tap the left side (also the middle). For me, the left side feels much...hollower, for lack of a better work. Is this just because of the slider mechanism being on the right side?

I've attached a picture below...it shows the side view of the left side of the phone. As you can see, there is slight separation between the bottom and top halves, which becomes more pronounced the farther "down" you go. Is this normal? Am I just being silly?

I keep telling myself I'll get used to it, but I need to ask before I go crazy haha
    By Design the phone has a concave slope to it and the beveled, curved edges make the curve and gaps between screen & keyboard mor epronounced.

I would not be too concerned about it. Just dont play with it too much it is a slider and there has to be some gap it is menat to slide back and forth in 1 direction so dont go playing with it laterally trying to reproduce or find a flaw. as long as you use it as it is meant the phone should be fine & the gap should not increase or other wise effect the function or structural integrity of the phone..

To summ up.. yeah you are being a bit "silly" Just out of curiosity are you a Palm pre convert..? This smells of Oreo effect...conspiracy theory
    mooshubob likes this.
    09-16-2010 12:07 AM
    Nope :P
    iPhone convert. I've heard a bunch about the 'oreo' effect, and my phone doesn't seem to have that (although others supposedly do).

I was just asking because it's not a uniform gap; that is, it is only on the bottom of the phone, and does not appear along the top 'edge'. It's not a big deal, and certainly doesn't impair my use of the phone, for now. I don't want it to become an issue in the near-to-late future, however...
    09-16-2010 12:16 AM
    Mine was like that too so I just got a case (Seidio copy from BB) and it fixed it. It's nice and tight now with no wobbles or annoying movement.
    09-16-2010 01:29 AM
    Does the case make your Epic bulkier? I'm hesitant about getting a case since I carry my phone around in my pocket, and it may be just a tad too uncomfortable with a case on top of it...at the same time, one of those barely-there cases would probably not tighten up the phone, so....you win some, you lose some.
    09-16-2010 01:54 AM
    All Epic's are like this. its just how they are built. There has to be a bit of space between the keyboards so it will slide without hitting the buttons.

But cases make the screen seem more stable, because the clips on the cases pry open the phone a bit more. The Platnium (Seidio) case's clips rub against the silver bezel of the phone, and when you open and close it, it rubs against the bezel.

It seems like it fixes any screen wobbling or slider looseness, but as soon as you take the hard case off, it will most likely be even WORSE. Many people on XDA are saying their slider feels much more loose after having the Seidio (Platnium) case on it, which is why I sent mine back as soon as I got it.
    09-16-2010 03:15 AM
    I have two epics just like this. Yesterday I put 2 little pieces of a business card(I mean tiny pieces) and placed one piece towards the bottom left side and one towards the middle left side of the phone. Make sure the paper doesn't cover the indents and then gently put your battery cover back on. This removes the flex on the left side of the phone. I have also found that the plastic strip that comes on the keyboard is just thick enough to prevent the left side of the phone from feeling "hollow" or "feeling like your screen is separated.

I suppose I could come up with a better solution, but it works.
    09-16-2010 02:17 PM
    @rldev, do you mind taking a picture of where you placed the pieces? I'm having a hard time visualizing exactly where you're putting them
    09-16-2010 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD