Epic 4G: Can't connect to pc via usb or bluetooth

leetlock

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I am running Win7 Ult 64 bit and it keeps telling me that drivers are not being installed properly when I connect my phone via usb. I also have a bluetooth module installed which I can not get to pair with phone, both pc and phone see each other but will not pair.

I just upgraded from a BB Curve which had no problem hooking up either way so I'm assuming its either me being an Android noob or something wrong with phone/software.

Any ideas on how to fix either? Right now for me to access my sd card I have to remove it physically which is getting annoying...

Last edited:

leetlock

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
One thing to try with USB is to try all the ports on your computer before giving up.

In my personal experience, the front ports of my computer did not provide the connectivity required, and it's not an uncommon problem. When I plugged the phone into the back port, all was well.
--
Eric Stewart Eric Stewart: SCUBA, Photography, Blog
My Samsung Epic 4G blogs: samsung-epic

Lol, yeah...I feel pretty dumb right now. That worked.

leetlock

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Now on to the other issue, bluetooth authentication fails due to an incorrect pairing code, and I can't figure out where to find it on phone. Since I have other bluetooth devices connected to pc using the same bt module I am guessing there is something on the phone I need to change but not sure how.

Also, while my phone is able to use the Wifi in home, if I look for it on my pc it doesn't show up in my network, not listed as a connected device.

Ideally I would like to be able to use Wifi and/or BT to transfer files between phone, pc, laptop, etc. One of the reason I upgraded was to increase my mobility and don't want to have to carry a usb cable everywhere I go to upload/download files, documents, pdfs, etc. I was told when I bought it this could be done, so hopefully its true.

Thanks in advance for any tips and info in helping to resolve these issues for me.

Last edited:

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
I haven't played with BlueTooth yet, but there are two options I've used for WiFi file access:

• EStrongs File Explorer - Activate file sharing on your computer and you should be able to mount the share/folder on the Epic and copy things that way. EStrongs I think would be best for this as you can more actively choose what folder to use.
  • Awesome Drop - Awesome Drop has the benefit of working pretty much anywhere (WiFi, 3G, 4G, cross NAT, probably through some firewalls), but so far I've only played with it enough to find that it has a specific folder it drops stuff in, and you might need a File Manager of some sort to move the files around. In addition, it's apparently only for adding files to the phone, not moving them to the computer.
I have yet to come across (or at least play with/test) an option that provides "mount the SD card wirelessly as a drive" functionality. But hopefully one of these (maybe EStrongs?) will work for you.

Oh yeah if you aren't using AppBrain yet, I recommend it. It makes searching for apps and app management easy (if you're using something else other than just the "Market" app, I'd be interested).

leetlock

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the Estrong app, all of them in fact, lol. Played with it this morning a bit and so far like it. Thanks for that info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC