Is the epic really worth it?

mud76

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a pre and really want a new phone. With all the problems this phone has do you really think its worth it?
-uploads capped
-time without signal/wcdma
-gps
-wifi not always connecting without hard reset
etc
I just dont wanna regret getting this phone.

mud76

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not trying to compare the pre. I want to know if with all the issues, is it worth it? I'm already certain I'll miss webos.

Dexter505

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Trust me it's not worth it. Overclock the Pre and wait for something better to come along. This phone isn't that good as others would want you to believe. Go to the store and play with one. I actually prefer the tiny pre over this oversized phone.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll be returning my epic if they don't do something about the upload speed cap soon. I don't have any of the other problems you mentioned. I'll be going back to the evo.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a pre and really want a new phone. With all the problems this phone has do you really think its worth it?
-uploads capped
-gps
etc

Yes.
-uploads capped
What do people say, 150kbs? The phone is so fast at so many things that you will actually notice the cap a bit. But compare it to the Pre and it still feels faster.
This must be a select few?The singnal is just as strong for me.
-gps
Meh, It can take up to 1min for your location to be found. You get use to it. The GPS navigator is way better on the EPIC and the battery lasts a lot longer while use the navigator than the pre.
My wifi connects 100% of the time at home, all starbucks, and at my school.

I use to own a pre, and if you want to stick with the Pre, don't try the EPIC, because you will not want to return to the Pre.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Love this phone.

Had the EVO, iPhone 4, Pre, Moment, Droid, Incredible etc. and the Epic is definitely in the top 3.

No GPS problems, it isn't as accurate as other smartphones but doesn't affect me in real life usage.

Upload cap is the only downside, I hope they fix this with 2.2.

Camera is great, phone is super fast, SAMOLED is amazing! I love watching videos and pics on it.

ericizzy1

May 17, 2010
Visit site
-uploads capped
-gps
etc

1. 4g comming soon
2. no issues for me, far better than my pre
3. fixed after yesturdays update
4. never been an issue
and for the pluses: AMAZING SCREEN-Blazing fast(10 times than the pre)-good phone service-fast internet- 4G (talk and surf the web at the same time)- google nav with street view-5 raw keybord- 5 mp camera- working video call-and much more.
guys, its been out for 2 weeks, give it some time, this phone is going places...

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
-uploads capped
-gps
etc

The Epic is a very nice piece of hardware with great potential. I believe is superior to the Pre in terms of hardware and functionality. The problems that you mention are being experienced by a number of users but not others; I have some of those on mine. I don't have problems with the wifi, and my battery life, although not as good, is comparable to my prior smartphones.

As a portable computing/communication device is functional in it's present form, but certainly needs some fixing on these and other issues. As far as a high-end Android headset on Sprint, at the moment the Evo is a better choice in my opinion, many of it's initial issues have been addressed, however is not perfect either.

I am sure many of the current issues with the Epic will be addressed on future updates, the timing and effectiveness of those updates remain to be determined. I may return my Epic if there is no firmware update addressing the major issues before the 30-day period ends. If I do, plan to pick one again after the updates are released and tested because I really like this phone.

drfrank

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
If you're stuck on Sprint, and you need a physical keyboard, the Epic is the way to go. It is extremely responsive.

Having said that, my wife and I each have one, and we'll be returning them and cancelling our service, next week.

For my wife, the battery life is the deal-breaker: The battery lasted about 9 hours for her on a day when she used the phone for 20 minutes to look something up online, and placed one two-minute phone call. She doesn't want a phone that she has to plug in during the day. (Not an issue for me.)

The screen is poor. Go to Ars Technica for the detailed explanation. The point is that the screen is lousy for text; your eyes will continually try and focus on the fuzzy letters, leading to muscle fatigue. When I'm looking at the screen of my phone, I'd guess about 80% of the time I'm reading text (email, browser, ebooks), so I want a display optimized for text.

The only thing that the AMOLED screen has going for it are the deep blacks. I was excited about this because I thought it meant that I could use my phone as a bedside clock (LCD's produce so much light that they disturb my sleep). But Samsung killed this dream. (Not sure why this link is broken; the URL seems correct in the editor, but the forum software seems to weirdly prepend some garbage.)

On Sprint, with the Epics, we're paying around $50 more per month, compared to what we paid on T-Mobile. Technically, we do have about three times as many voice minutes, but we never used more than 300 in a month, anyway. And, of course, we're also paying the mandatory $20/mo for access to 4G. My wife has never enabled it. I've never had need for it, and as quickly as it drains the (already weak) battery, I've always left it off.

The front-facing camera is neat. As a geek, I'll be sad to give it up. But it's really just a gimmick, right now. IMHO, it'll be at least a year before video calls are common. And, as quickly as phones are advancing, I imagine that a front-facing camera won't even be noteworthy compared to the other features our phones will sport in a year.

The issues with the GPS and the "battery full" notification, while seemingly minor, undermine my confidence in Samsung. The great thing about owning an Android device is that it just keeps getting better: Google keeps releasing updates, and new cool Apps. In contrast, Samsung's GPS "fix" provides a bogus precision, and it shoots itself in the foot with its battery full notification. (Such a simple thing, and yet it makes moot the only advantage that their screen has!)

The fact that Samsung prioritized the media hub update over the 2.2 update similarly undermines my confidence in it. It's bad enough that it shipped the Epic with 2.1; putting out its doomed media hub first shows that it's at least out of touch with my interests. (And I suspect that the vast majority of Epic users would benefit more from 2.2 than from the media hub.)

I'm probably going to wait for the G2, although there's a small chance I'll consider WP7.

Last edited:

mikachu

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from a pre oveclocked to 800 mhz and trust me the epic is worth it! The photos, video and speed is amazing, the pre cant compare. This screen is beautiful and you will love voice commanding the Epic via google voice or Vlingo (free in market). This is coming from a person who really hasnt had a problem with the epic, besides the signal being lost(fixed by airplane mode on and off, infact even when I didnt do the fix the phone still seemed fine).

If you are tired of the pre, go for the switch. If you can wait it out, maybe wait for the new WEBOS phone. BTW im still a webos fan and i still love my pre.

Also I had both epic and evo and its a toss up to pick between the two as they are both great phones. I picked the Epic because of the powerful GPU.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
)

The screen is poor. Go to Ars Technica for the detailed explanation. The point is that the screen is lousy for text; your eyes will continually try and focus on the fuzzy letters, leading to muscle fatigue. When I'm looking at the screen of my phone, I'd guess about 80% of the time I'm reading text (email, browser, ebooks), so I want a display optimized for text.

I thought I was the only one that realized how poor quality the screen is with text. It looks so fuzzy compared to even the Evo.

I have yet to find a smart phone that has a screen as clear and bright as the Palm Pre. I only hope the next device sports a similar quality screen.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was the only one that realized how poor quality the screen is with text. It looks so fuzzy compared to even the Evo.

I have yet to find a smart phone that has a screen as clear and bright as the Palm Pre. I only hope the next device sports a similar quality screen.

You guys must have much better eyes than I do. One of the reasons I got rid of the Evo was the poor screen and I find the Epic to be so much better with text, videos, pictures...

Where do you see the fuzzy text? Zoomed way in or out?

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You guys must have much better eyes than I do. One of the reasons I got rid of the Evo was the poor screen and I find the Epic to be so much better with text, videos, pictures...

Where do you see the fuzzy text? Zoomed way in or out?

Text on webpages look blurry to me. Especially when I look at the Palm Pre which has a really crisp screen.

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have owned all three phones...Pre, Evo and Epic. Most people commenting have not. Hands down I find the Epic to be much better than the Pre and Evo.

As to those who have a problem with the screen...I do not get it at all. The AMOLED screen is incredible, not only for games and movies but text is also very easy to read. I guess it is a personal preference.

I do share other's frustration with the GPS issue. It is ridiculous that Samsung has not fixed this yet.

I would definitely take the Epic or EVO over the Pre without hesitation.

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had a Pre and sold it back to Sprint when I bought the Epic. There has yet to be a single day that I've even remotely second-guessed myself. The Epic is much better than the Pre.

First, I don't get "too many cards" error messages nor I do I get spinning circles - both of which were constants with my Pre.

Web pages on the Epic load fast in 3G, much faster than on the Pre.

Text is clear and easy to read. Web pages resize correctly when zoomed in and out. I have no idea why people describe the text as fuzzy. I enlarge the screen and the text is fine. I read a fair amount on the Epic, so if it was a problem, I'd know.

Tethering works flawlessly with the Epic. With the Pre...oh wait, you can't tether with the Pre.

Upload speeds? I have no idea what the problem is. My wireless connection on the laptop is as fast or faster with the Epic as it was with my Sierra wireless card. Perhaps people are trying upload large files....

Keyboard. The Pre's keyboard is better than the Epic, but, it's very usable. I'm a physical keyboard guy, and I find myself using Swype much more than the keyboard. I don't miss the Pre's keyboard at all.

Apps. Hands down, Android wins here.

Finally, keep in mind there has been a lot of brain drain at Palm. HP didn't pay much for the company and if webOS continues to be a flop, HP will abandon it. The Palm-lovers don't want to even think about this possibility, but HP shareholders won't standstill for long if webOS continues to be a flop. I predict an Android-running Palm device in less than 2 years.

drfrank

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Objectively poor screen for text

The AMOLED screen is incredible, not only for games and movies but text is also very easy to read. I guess it is a personal preference.

Look midway down the page at the close-up shot of the Calendar icon. See the green strip on the right sides of the "l" and the the "d"? See the checkerboard pattern, especially along the left side of the "l"?

If one's visual acuity is limited it's possible one might not be affected by this issue. But for those that aren't far-sighted, it's an objective, physiological fact that one's eyes will constantly try to refocus while one's reading the text on the screen, due to the "fuzzy" edges. This is the case even when one zooms in so the text is relatively large; the brain tells the eyes that there should be a sharp edge around each letter, so the eyes try to find that edge.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have had most phones and this is my favorite one ever. To me it lives up to its name for sure! I am so picky with phones and have not found one problem I haven't been able to fix easily with this phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles