This app apparently has the "system" name of "com.samsung". Epic 4G AppBrain users will notice that AppBrain thinks this app is installed due to this name (which, on the Epic 4G, is the internal name of our System Updates). Do not go into the App Market and install it. However, you should go in and use the Flag As Inappropriate function to complain so that the app is at least renamed if not removed.

Those of you on other phones that would like to help us out: If you could install the app and downrate/review the app (and then remove it), it might help.
    odub303 and dragonol2 like this.
    09-21-2010 07:20 AM
    I flagged it as inappropriate in the market and described it as auto-installing and falsely reporting itself as "system updates". Until we figure out wtf this is and what it does, I froze it using Titanium backup. Thanks for the heads up.
    ericdives likes this.
    09-21-2010 09:55 AM
    I noticed this in my app brain list as well but it won't let me uninstall it?
    09-21-2010 12:30 PM
    I noticed this in my app brain list as well but it won't let me uninstall it?
    That's because on the phone the app with the name "com.samsung" is actually a System Update. You actually don't want to install that, nor do you want to "upgrade" or attempt to install this application.

Just do a Flag As Inappropriate on it and that's about all you can do.
    09-21-2010 02:06 PM
    This is dirty pool. I do wish that there were some tighter controls in the Market. Not a full-on Apple crackdown, but just a screening for possible malware. It wouldn't get everything, but even something would be nice.
    ericdives likes this.
    09-21-2010 02:48 PM
    I flagged it as inappropriate in the market and described it as auto-installing and falsely reporting itself as "system updates". Until we figure out wtf this is and what it does, I froze it using Titanium backup. Thanks for the heads up.
    Same here... flagged like you did and used similar language to give my reason...
    ericdives likes this.
    09-23-2010 05:14 PM
    Reported, installed, downrated and reviewed and of course, uninstalled.
    ericdives likes this.
    09-23-2010 08:35 PM
    Those of you doing the "install - downrate - uninstall" - AppBrain doesn't see any comments in the app market yet. I think that would be the easiest way to get a note to the creator. Unfortunately, there's been a name change on the app (not system name change - AppBrain still sees it installed on my phone) so it might be harder to find via search in the market.
    09-24-2010 06:31 AM
    Looks like it's gone; the link in my post above doesn't go anywhere, and searching for it in AppBrain results in no link. I don't see it in my AppBrain list any more.

Only thing to try (as I had recently suggested that AppBrain might be able to do something about it) would be to see if it exists in the actual Market ... but then, all I really wanted was for it not to show up on my AppBrain list. Success!

EDIT - AppBrain removed it from their feeds because of its use of a reserved system name.
    09-30-2010 05:49 AM
    How do I uninstall this? Please help!
    02-08-2011 10:21 AM
    You don't. Ignore it.

I installed the Truly Epic Rebirth recently and saw this show up again on AppBrain, which also says the app is no longer available. However, with recent changes in the Market I find myself using AppBrain less often these days.
    02-09-2011 09:19 AM
    bump.....

I have this app also... Running the Bonsai4Free ROM. Wondering how it got there and how to remove it. Uninstaller will not remove it.

Have looked in /data/app and /system/app for a com.samsung apk..... nothing there, so where do system updates live? Has anyone that runs this app seen odd behavior? Is the app a leak of personal data to somewhere?
    02-22-2011 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD