It's all of the little things they got wrong...

PoundSand

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
My G1 didn't have this issue two years ago :\ Didn't realize it's a really complicated one though, just thought it was a standard bug that they glossed over.

Hell, give me a G1 with a new CPU and a bigger screen and I'm happy. I mean, that's basically what the G2 is... I don't think it's nitpicky to expect devices to get less glitchy after two years.

um, call me crazy, but if you'd be happy with a g1 with a new cpu and a bigger screen, and that's what you think a g2 is, get a g2! :)

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
To paraphrase a 4Chan meme:

You all is posting in a troll thread.

Seriously? I wasn't trying to troll, you obviously are... anyways...

Look guys, I've been in the Epic forum longer than most of you. A couple of you are taking me seriously, thank you. The rest of you can leave this thread. And please read this article.

Last edited:

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Could have fooled me.
Being too lazy to download a new alarm clock sound isn't a complaint on the device, its you. If you downloaded zedge, when you select a new alarm sound, you could have just pick something you downloaded from Zedge. Are you going to complain about the ringtones suck, too? Easy fix and being too lazy to do it isn't an excuse.
Oh come the hell on. Every single phone I've EVER had gave multiple choices for the alarm clock. Why is everybody getting so hung up on this? Look at the title of the thread, it's a little thing and it bugs me. Seriously, I've never seen a phone that only has one alarm clock sound.

Yes, the keyboard misses. Typing a tad slower and making sure I press the button has minimalized the errors. I played with my Hero last night to try out a new rom and realized how bad software keyboards suck. I don't even like typing my e-mail address to set it up! Saying that its because the Hero is slow and thats why it sucks isn't a valid argument. Its overclocked and running 2.2 with JIT. The keyboard on it doesn't lag, it just sucks.
Telling me to type slower with a hardware keyboard defeats the purpose of a hardware keyboard. And saying it's better than the software keyboard doesn't mean anything since all of us here hate hardware keyboards. ;)

MMS didn't download on the Pre when I got it. At least this device notifies you. Simple toggle off of wifi, download on 3g, then back on to wifi isn't hard. All you have to do is drop down the status bar. The Pre didn't download MMS on 1x either.
Again, just another small thing that bugs me. I know it's easy to deal with, it's just annoying.

Self-photos on the front facing camera look fine. I haven't had a chance to use the video messaging apps yet. But I have seen the stretched videos on the Evo from the epic. But they look fine on the device... could be a qik issue. If the qik app didn't try to fit it to the evo screen, it wouldn't look stretched. Haven't used fring yet.
Nah they don't look fine. It looks weird. Like when you watch standard TV on a widescreen TV and it's all stretched. Yeah, it looks okay, but there's no reason for it to be like that.

I've never had the phone become unresponsive. Have you tried a factory reset before? It was recommended in another thread.
Yeah, I have tried it. Still happens every now and then. Doesn't seem to be anything in common with each occurrence either, it's weird :\

Oh yeah, and Gmail notifies me faster on 3G on the epic than the Hero on wifi (not activated, so it has to be on wifi to be functional). No issues with notifying about e-mails.
Yeah, I dunno it's weird. It's just slower than my G1 :\

um, call me crazy, but if you'd be happy with a g1 with a new cpu and a bigger screen, and that's what you think a g2 is, get a g2! :)
I am! I just wanted to explain why I'm frustrated with the Epic while it's still fresh in my mind.

the keyboard missing strokes pisses me off. Plus, you need to press the keys way to hard for them to register.
Yeah, totally defeats the purpose of the hardware keyboard too, doesn't it?

Last edited:

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna be honest here. There does seem to be a keyboard issue, whether widespread or not, I don't know, but there certainly is one. Next, speed and signal is much worse on the Epic than on the Evo. The Evo's signal was so good, that I was calling others crazy when they said they had signal and speed issues with Sprint. I see what they're saying now. Battery life on the Epic is much worse than what it was on the Evo. 12 hours, 8 min compared to 7 hours, 50 min on the Epic. Worst part is that I can't even bump charge the Epic. Next, front facing camera. I'm one of the few that use the camera A LOT, but it was noticeably worse on the Epic (I think the stretching is a software issue though, so this problem isn't a big one). Gps locks on much faster on the Evo and it's slightly more accurate (again, I believe this is a software issue). So yeah, I can't keep the Epic. Although an awesome phone, I need my emails to actually be pushed (k-9 wouldn't push for some reason) and there are just more things I liked about the Evo when I first had one.

Remember, all my reasons are opinions and may just be remote issues in some cases. I do not encourage anyone to switch unless they feel they need to.

Sorry guys, but I think that Cr3amy and I have exact duplicate Epics lol. Seems to me that we both have the EXACT same issues. Also, watch out. Cr3amy isn't trolling, he's just stating some issues he had. I highly doubt he was trying to put the phone down in any way.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Cali, I think it's just because HTC really integrates Android deep into their systems. I mean, Android is just a MAIN focus for them, and has been for a while now.

Samsung isn't really all-in with Android like HTC and Motorola are, and until they are, I don't think they'll be able to perfect their implementation.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
For when the little things push u over the edge..... We are accepting all newcomers over in the Evo forum.... ; )

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro

jjthe2

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
lafountain;3[LIST said:
[/LIST]63180]I think this is a Samsung thing specifically. My Samsung Exclaim (non-smartphone) does the same thing when the battery gets too low.

This is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever encountered on a smartphone and I've used several. I'm not yet considering ditching this thing but there are probably a dozen issues that make you scratch your head. I mean who made some of these decisions? It also seriously makes me question the value of websites revivewing new phones if none of them can notice obvious bugs (including this site).

-LED notifications didn't work until the recent upate (nobody tested this???)
-The camera issue above is stupid, what is the point? Give me a warning but let me take the picture. 16% battery, snap away, 15% battery, GFY.
-The 'battery full' notification is equally dumb, what possible use does this serve? Why are you telling me? What exactly should I do after receiving this critical, unavoidable notification?
-Also the fact that the same notification LED is used as the plug-in indicator means no notification while charging, so why have LED notifications at all?
-Nobody checked the headset button to see if it controlled music (pause/skip) like every other smartphone?
-Bluetooth/headset thing...
-GPS thing...
-3G upload thing...
-Etc...

But thanks for the in-depth review AC, Gizmodo, Engadget, yada, yada.

//still better than the palm pre

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I read that if battery is below 15% mark and you initialize camera app by tapping the camera icon instead of pressing camera hardware button, the app does start up. Can somebody confirm this!!!

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I. Next, speed and signal is much worse on the Epic than on the Evo. The Evo's signal was so good, that I was calling others crazy when they said they had signal and speed issues with Sprint. I see what they're saying now. Battery life on the Epic is much worse than what it was on the Evo. 12 hours, 8 min compared to 7 hours, 50 min on the Epic.

100% agreed and thankfully a mod is saying it. I haven't seem one credible poster here with both devices claiming Epic has better battery or reception or speed or GPS. The Evo blows the epic away on all those fronts. I consider the screen a major advantage for Epic, but those basic smartphone operations are much poorer on Epic

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
100% agreed and thankfully a mod is saying it. I haven't seem one credible poster here with both devices claiming Epic has better battery or reception or speed or GPS. The Evo blows the epic away on all those fronts. I consider the screen a major advantage for Epic, but those basic smartphone operations are much poorer on Epic

So far its destroying everything on my hero other than battery life... but thats expected. Even so I don't personally think the Battery life is terrible.

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Let me be the first to disprove some of these outrageous claims as I picked up both the Evo and the Epic on both of their launch days and have tested both phones extensively in all areas that I feel are important to the average daily user.

For one, the Epic does have better life unless you were running one of those super kernels thats available for the rooted Evos. On those "super kernels" I could push nearly 30 hours on my Evo, and the most I can get out of my Epic is around 16-20 hours depending on how much I use the devices. However, straight out of the box -- the Epic wins.

Regarding signal -- everyone knows that the Epic's 3G uploads are slower due the data "cap", however, 3G download speeds are very comparable to the Evo, if not just a tad better. Consistency, well, that's another story. The Wifi and 4G definitely are faster than the Evo, however with the Evo's newest upgrade/PRI (which I haven't installed yet), they should be comparable.

After doing the GPS 'coldstart fix', my phone locks on everytime under 5 seconds indoor or outdoor... however, the Evo is just as fast and seems to be a little more accurate.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you've all seen this already, but it's totally the same point I was trying to make:
Engadget complaining about bugs
List of bugs at Sprint forums

This was what I was talking about, and it seems other people have started to notice, too. I wish you all the best of luck in these bugs getting fixed... I'm gettin my G2 in just a few days!

That engadget report is written by a guy's who "top gadgets" are a palm pre, a netbook and an xbox 360... he wouldn't know good hardware if it bit him in the arse. Good luck with the G2 not having any bugs... I can almost guarantee you that you will experience some. Just like the HTC Hero, Evo, Mytouch 3G.... the list goes on. They ALL have bugs at release.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have none of these issues. I feel bad for those with issuses and giving up as a working epic is truly a sight to see. :)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800