It's all of the little things they got wrong...

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't keep my Epic because I get no reception in my apartment, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to say how the combination of all of the little things Samsung got wrong equals a bigger problem than any single issue could've caused.

- The hardware keyboard misses key presses. What good is a thicker phone with a hardware keyboard if it makes as many typos as a software one?
- The phone becomes unresponsive for several seconds at a time for no real reason
- MMS don't download on Wifi
- It only has one Alarm-Clock sound effect
- The front-facing-camera is stretched
- The speed of Gmail notifications is not instant/not consistent
- The bottom dock isn't customizable
- THE CAMERA WON'T TURN ON WHEN THE BATTERY IS LOW! Wtf is that, honestly? When the party is winding down and is almost over, and everybody's at their drunkest, that's when the best pictures happen AND THAT'S WHEN YOU'RE BATTERY IS GONNA BE DEAD. Apparently this phone thinks it knows better than me, but screw that noise. If I wanna take a picture, let me take a damn picture.

I can't think of everything that annoys me about this phone, but the little things get on my nerves far more than anything else. I mean, the GPS issues would piss me off more if I didn't have my G1 I guess...

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't keep my Epic because I get no reception in my apartment, but that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to say how the combination of all of the little things Samsung got wrong equals a bigger problem than any single issue could've caused.

- The hardware keyboard misses key presses. What good is a thicker phone with a hardware keyboard if it makes as many typos as a software one?
- The phone becomes unresponsive for several seconds at a time for no real reason
- THE CAMERA WON'T TURN ON WHEN THE BATTERY IS LOW! Wtf is that, honestly? When the party is winding down and is almost over, and everybody's at their drunkest, that's when the best pictures happen AND THAT'S WHEN YOU'RE BATTERY IS GONNA BE DEAD. Apparently this phone thinks it knows better than me, but screw that noise. If I wanna take a picture, let me take a damn picture.

I can't think of everything that annoys me about this phone, but the little things get on my nerves far more than anything else. I mean, the GPS issues would piss me off more if I didn't have my G1 I guess...

So, are you coming to HTC with me :)? I have the exact same issues and I mean the EXACT. Note, I'm still the Samsung forum moderator. YES, there is still an Epic in the house, but NO, it is not mine.

Anyways, back on topic...

Last edited:

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Bring a charger to the party next time

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

How bout the damn thing doesn't lock me out of features? lol

So, are you coming to HTC with me :)? I have the exact same issues and I mean the EXACT.

Oh yeah, I mean, this thing has issues my G1 doesn't have. Literally, my G1 doesn't have a single one of these issues (except freezing up for several seconds for no reason lol, but that's to be expected on the G1's hardware) and I don't expect that G2 to have any of these issues.

And hell, the G1 has a little extra by having a trackball and HandCent CAN USE THE DANG COLORS ON THE LED NOTIFICATION ON A G1!!

Reactions: simple503

jd195

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
No issues with the keyboard or unresponsiveness of the phone in general here....

As for the issues you have with the alarm and the bottom dock, that's easily solved with the right apps.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

Some of these Issues are easy fixes.

The nice thing about Android is it can be customized.

Your issue with the bottom dock.. this is only the touchwiz skin, you can install free LauncherPro and this enables you to customize your dock apps and icons, also gives you 3 scrollable docks. see my attached screen shots, notice the launcher icons.. I customized the icons and placed my own choice of apps in those spots. No root required

The Alarm clock can use any sound file as the Alarm. I use an Mp3 for my alarm sound.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No issues with the keyboard or unresponsiveness of the phone in general here....

As for the issues you have with the alarm and the bottom dock, that's easily solved with the right apps.

I have an evo the gf I got the epic for cause she likes a physical keyboard. To me the epic is slow to respond. I think it is part of what makes it use less power too... thats my 2 cents

snarf77

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
kb have been great to me no problems there but the camera wont turn on if u press the cam key but when hitting the app in tray it will open and run

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I know I can use mp3s for Alarm sounds. Excuse me for not wanting to have to find and download alarm clock sound effects. My damn G1 came with like seven. Seriously guys? There should be alarm sound effects.

I know the keyboard is fine for some, but I've heard lots of other people with issues with it missing key presses for them too.

And I know I can use Launcher Pro. I don't want to put a Launcher on top of another launcher, especially since as a whole I like TW.

Guys, I'm writing this post as someone who wants to buy a complete product. There's already enough problems with the phone that need to be fixed with apps, we don't need tiny things like alarm clock sounds to require our time and effort.

punzada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I'm writing this post as someone who wants to buy a complete product. There's already enough problems with the phone that need to be fixed with apps, we don't need tiny things like alarm clock sounds to require our time and effort.

I'd much prefer major companies like Google and Samsung to focus on things like reliable hardware and proper memory allocation then personal preferences which can be easily changed.

Many of the issues you describe are simply software related, would you expect an operating system on your PC to come out of the box with the wallpaper and sound scheme you would want? It's not as if the options to change it aren't available to you. While you may say "It should have 7 different alarm clock sounds!" someone else would say "Why are we wasting my device space with 7 different sounds? I only need one!"

Things such as MMS over wifi is just a well known bug, it happens, it's a complicated software device. Find a phone as feature-filled without software bugs and I'll give you $1,000,000. We can only hope it'll be addressed in an update (which, as anyone who's been around any sort of software based technology will know, will bring it's own set of bugs :p)

I've heard a few people comlpain about the keyboard missing key strokes, I've seen it happen myself but only when I knew I didn't really hit the button correctly. For me it has been the transition of coming over from a Pre keyboard and still not really used to the spacing with my hands - if your issue is beyond that it's probably a defect of your unit and you may want to consider getting it swapped out.

Good luck in finding a device that fits your needs, I don't see anything filling the niche you expect though.

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
i can understand the keyboard issues but everything else seems pretty nit picky.

i've had the keyboard issue happen to me but surprisingly i've not used the keyboard much at all. i waited for a high end android phone with a keyboard for a while and i've all but ignored it. i'm so much better at the on screen keyboard with the epic then i was with the hero its shocking.

as far as the phone becoming unresponsive, its happened far far less then my old blackberry did so i dont find that an issue

the alarm sound thing is kind of a ridiculous complaint but hey.. if that's what floats your boat

i don't believe launcher pro runs over touchwiz so much as replaces it.. and its far better... plus i have a feeling we'll be seeing an up date to TW later on that will allow you to customize your dock ( a true TW 3.0 upgrade along with froyo hopefully)

btw are you using the email app or the GMAIL app? the gmail app seems to use push, while the email app doesn't. i get all my gmail almost immediatly once i figured out to use the gmail app

anyway i made a post like this when i got and then returned my hero, and was pretty much jumped all over on the forums so i get it... phone isnt' for you. i've stuck this one out and i'm liking it more and more...

Last edited:

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

A lot of the problems you listed (including, but not limited to this one above) sound like you just have not done the research required to figure out how to make the necessary changes / fixes... one of the first questions I had about my Epic was how to work customization in Android's OS, and it was one of the easiest things that I searched for and found in no time at all... I can understand the bugs with the device, but the common "I didn't do research and I can't figure it out my own so it's a terrible device blah blah blah" really doesn't cut it and really isn't a helpful contribution to the community here...

Media FAQ's

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Many of the issues you describe are simply software related, would you expect an operating system on your PC to come out of the box with the wallpaper and sound scheme you would want? It's not as if the options to change it aren't available to you. While you may say "It should have 7 different alarm clock sounds!" someone else would say "Why are we wasting my device space with 7 different sounds? I only need one!"
Sure I don't expect it to have the wallpaper scheme I want... but I expect at least a couple options out of the box, yes.

Things such as MMS over wifi is just a well known bug, it happens, it's a complicated software device. Find a phone as feature-filled without software bugs and I'll give you $1,000,000. We can only hope it'll be addressed in an update (which, as anyone who's been around any sort of software based technology will know, will bring it's own set of bugs :p)
My G1 didn't have this issue two years ago :\ Didn't realize it's a really complicated one though, just thought it was a standard bug that they glossed over.

Good luck in finding a device that fits your needs, I don't see anything filling the niche you expect though.
Hell, give me a G1 with a new CPU and a bigger screen and I'm happy. I mean, that's basically what the G2 is... I don't think it's nitpicky to expect devices to get less glitchy after two years.

And yes, I use the gmail app. My G1 consistently informs me that I have a new email, then I whip out my Epic, hit Gmail, hit Refresh, THEN check my new email.

Also, everybody who's calling me out on being nit-picky is ignoring the fact that the FFC is stretched and that THE CAMERA WON'T TURN ON WHEN THE BATTERY IS LOW.

A lot of the problems you listed (including, but not limited to this one above) sound like you just have not done the research required to figure out how to make the necessary changes / fixes... one of the first questions I had about my Epic was how to work customization in Android's OS, and it was one of the easiest things that I searched for and found in no time at all... I can understand the bugs with the device, but the common "I didn't do research and I can't figure it out my own so it's a terrible device blah blah blah" really doesn't cut it and really isn't a helpful contribution to the community here...

Media FAQ's

Congratulations. You may have also noticed that I have a G1 and you could assume/extrapolate that I know how to use an Android device, and you may have also noticed that I addressed your exact point on the first page and said I don't want to put effort into finding alarm clock sounds. Go away, YOU just added nothing to this conversation.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations. You may have also noticed that I have a G1 and you could assume/extrapolate that I know how to use an Android device...

Could have fooled me.
Being too lazy to download a new alarm clock sound isn't a complaint on the device, its you. If you downloaded zedge, when you select a new alarm sound, you could have just pick something you downloaded from Zedge. Are you going to complain about the ringtones suck, too? Easy fix and being too lazy to do it isn't an excuse.

Yes, the keyboard misses. Typing a tad slower and making sure I press the button has minimalized the errors. I played with my Hero last night to try out a new rom and realized how bad software keyboards suck. I don't even like typing my e-mail address to set it up! Saying that its because the Hero is slow and thats why it sucks isn't a valid argument. Its overclocked and running 2.2 with JIT. The keyboard on it doesn't lag, it just sucks.

MMS didn't download on the Pre when I got it. At least this device notifies you. Simple toggle off of wifi, download on 3g, then back on to wifi isn't hard. All you have to do is drop down the status bar. The Pre didn't download MMS on 1x either.

Self-photos on the front facing camera look fine. I haven't had a chance to use the video messaging apps yet. But I have seen the stretched videos on the Evo from the epic. But they look fine on the device... could be a qik issue. If the qik app didn't try to fit it to the evo screen, it wouldn't look stretched. Haven't used fring yet.

I've never had the phone become unresponsive. Have you tried a factory reset before? It was recommended in another thread.

Oh yeah, and Gmail notifies me faster on 3G on the epic than the Hero on wifi (not activated, so it has to be on wifi to be functional). No issues with notifying about e-mails.

Last edited:

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
alarm clock sound effects. My damn G1 came with like seven. Seriously guys? There should be alarm sound effects.

Whine, whine, whine... customization is a beautiful thing... no one said you had to go out and find your own ring tones for alarms, so if you are too lazy to do so, that's your thing... make one (or 10, or 25, or 50), put them on the SD card, and boom, you have your choice of many sound effects and you don't have to be bound and gagged and restricted by one or 5 or GASP :eek: seven that come preloaded on the device!

And I know I can use Launcher Pro. I don't want to put a Launcher on top of another launcher, especially since as a whole I like TW.

Agreed...

When is the last time that you yourself saw or heard of or even bought a so-called complete product, ESPECIALLY in the smartphone market!?!? Products come out, consumers buy them day one or month one, complaints amass, and consumers either decide to find fixes for them or move on to the next shiny bright new object. Lather, rinse, and repeat. I have issues, do a Google search, and choose to either have faith that there is a fix out there or there will be one in the near future, or learn to deal with it. You keep pointing out that you bought and still have a G1 so you certainly are no stranger to this process with dealing with issues.

If you can point me in the direction of the latest and greatest complete product in the smartphone world, I'll point you in the direction of the store selling screen doors for submarines...

Rderosier86

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
i totally forget how to change the alarm to an mp3 i reset my phone and cant remember how i did it.

Ok you cant use the camera on low battery in the evo you can use it but you cant use flash you take some you win some.

My major complain with this is that the battery is crap and sprint knows it that is why they offer a standalone battery charger and battery for sell for 50 bucks now how often those sprint offer that in store? I use to work for them no phone they release in the 6 months i work there had a stand alone batter charger shipped to the store for sell that was not a product offered in store.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you can point me in the direction of the latest and greatest complete product in the smartphone world, I'll point you in the direction of the store selling screen doors for submarines...

LOL

Reading threads like this make me want to bash my head against a wall but that comment made it all worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11