froyo november?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I believe it. They're still concentrating on rollling out their products, such as the samsung tab. While this doesn't mean froyo is on the backburner, it does mean that mnagement is concentratin the whip on product releases.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
*bleh*

oh well.... if true, as long as it's still on the radar....

running my apps all of sd is key......

You can't run all your apps on SD, FYI. 2.2 enables you to do so if the developer includes that in their app. Good news is that we should have CM6 with Apps2SD (doesn't matter if the developer allows it or not). They said they would start building as soon as a version of 2.2 was available for any of the Galaxy S phones. Since it will be dropping end of September for T-Mo Europe, we'll have something soon after... maybe.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I really don't see it being that long considering the Tab is rolling out with 2.2

If I said Nov 24th for the tab, then that means 23 days for Samsung & Sprint to release froyo to the EPIC4G before the tab is released. We also have to keep in mind that the Galaxy S line does not arrive to the US 1st, but normally to Europe before us.

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am all about improved functionality especially Media playing from the web,
However if Froyo update breaks any functionality of my current apps / settings I will be put off. This is why I am very selective with what apps in install, I like to see active Devs. that are on top of their game with tweaks and updates.

iilex

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
You can't run all your apps on SD, FYI. 2.2 enables you to do so if the developer includes that in their app. Good news is that we should have CM6 with Apps2SD (doesn't matter if the developer allows it or not). They said they would start building as soon as a version of 2.2 was available for any of the Galaxy S phones. Since it will be dropping end of September for T-Mo Europe, we'll have something soon after... maybe.

As in a port or will cyan really support the epic?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This is bull you know what. 2.2 was supposed to be a september release. I was already mad enough at it being october if it turns out to be another delay like the release of the phone itself I think I may loose alot of faith in samsung/sprint.

egeorge1

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This is bull you know what. 2.2 was supposed to be a september release. I was already mad enough at it being october if it turns out to be another delay like the release of the phone itself I think I may loose alot of faith in samsung/sprint.

As far as I know, there was never any official date for the 2.2 update in the US. Just a bunch of rumors and speculation based on the European release.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Neither sprint nor samsung ever implied such a thing.

Indeed in the garbage engadet review (their review have generally become puff pieces) the one good piece of information was their asking Sprint and Samsung specifically about Froyo, the response was, and I am paraphrasing as did engadget: about how long it took between launch of evo and its froyo update (almost three months?), and certainly before the end of the year.

Expectation of a sooner interim fix on the 150 download problem, which Sprint saw four weeks ago, and the GPS problem which device team is workign on, are one thing. But since the Froyo upate is widely expected ti include changes more complex than Evo's o2.2 port, such as dealing with features left off of Epic 2.1 reportedly due to slider landscape to portrait, and the general rush job to get Epic launched, it is not surprising it woudl be November or December. Let's just hope they do better testing than they did with 2.1.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It is just upsetting when so many have been enjoying froyo for so long and by the time we get it gingerbread will be getting ready to launch on google phones. I just hope this won't mean that we will be so far behind for 3.0.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

CorruptionDee

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but what's most frustrating for me is Sprint's and Samsung's lack of communication and slow nature. The Galaxy S line is easily the only truly advanced Android device with Froyo. Samsung should been making Froyo for the Epic for months. Better yet, since Froyo was alread available for months, the Epic should have launched with Froyo, since their main competition already had Froyo (Evo 7G). If the phone didn't have so many bugs, maybe people would look past the lack of Froyo. The fact of the matter is that at $250 and an additional $10 premium per month, people have the right to complain. I love the Epic, but the lack of updates and communication make it feel like wasted potential. At least as of September 2010.

ippikiokami

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty disappointed with the slow development of their Froyo release too. Motorola and HTC have froyo on multiple phones with different hardware (including processors etc).

Samsung is a much bigger company than any of them.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but what's most frustrating for me is Sprint's and Samsung's lack of communication and slow nature.

The EVO was the first HTC phone that actually had a quick update. Just ask any Hero owner how long it took to go from 1.6 to 2.1...

Should Sprint be more forthcoming? Perhaps, but I think they know that it's more of a problem to put out a release date and miss the target than it is to just keep the interested, and by interested I mean even knows about the advantages of 2.2, people happy.

I've just come to accept it as the nature of the Android beast. I used to think it was just the carriers fault, and then mostly the manufacturer's fault (in the case of HTC with SenseUI) but now it's simply what you have to come to expect with Manufacturer Skins on the OS and carriers who include their own apps. The N1 was the only way to avoid this, but even that has now gone by the wayside...

If you buy an Android phone, don't expect the updates to be out with the release of the OS. That's all there is to it. All carries and all manufacturers have the same problems and there's no way to avoid it on the consumer side.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance