Battery issue update.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Went back to Sprint last night to let them know how their fix was working. They decided to go over it again because I told them about having to toggle airplane mode, or do a PRL update. What they found was, whenever you access a data channel other than 3g/WCDMA, media hub restarts. That is, if you turn on 4G, or wifi, media hub will start. The only fix at this point is after you use 4G, or wifi, go back into running services and shut it down again. The DRM should not be starting with it but check when you close media hub to make sure.

As far as the airplane mode/PRL, what appears to be happening is the data channel opens for media hub and stays open. You should only have to toggle on reboot, not every time you close media hub. They put in a ticket to Samsung and said this should be resolved with an independent update, or with 2.2, which according to them is due out next month. Hope this helps those that are killing DRM and media hub but still having a drain issue.

So to be clear, anytime you access any data off 3G/WCDMA, be it 4G, wifi etc. Media hub will open and will have to be manually shut down again.

Reactions: sonarchist

vertcobra99

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Went back to Sprint last night to let them know how their fix was working. They decided to go over it again because I told them about having to toggle airplane mode, or do a PRL update. What they found was, whenever you access a data channel other than 3g/WCDMA, media hub restarts. That is, if you turn on 4G, or wifi, media hub will start. The only fix at this point is after you use 4G, or wifi, go back into running services and shut it down again. The DRM should not be starting with it but check when you close media hub to make sure.

As far as the airplane mode/PRL, what appears to be happening is the data channel opens for media hub and stays open. You should only have to toggle on reboot, not every time you close media hub. They put in a ticket to Samsung and said this should be resolved with an independent update, or with 2.2, which according to them is due out next month. Hope this helps those that are killing DRM and media hub but still having a drain issue.

So to be clear, anytime you access any data off 3G/WCDMA, be it 4G, wifi etc. Media hub will open and will have to be manually shut down again.

Did they mention that this may be fixed in the next update?

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Went back to Sprint last night to let them know how their fix was working. They decided to go over it again because I told them about having to toggle airplane mode, or do a PRL update. What they found was, whenever you access a data channel other than 3g/WCDMA, media hub restarts. That is, if you turn on 4G, or wifi, media hub will start.

That is not my experience. After I access 4G, the DRM service associated with Media Hub does not restart.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine does - I discussed this ad naseum with my tech - they have had no other complaints than mine, no information or communication from Sprint, no idea what was wrong except to hard reset or exchange.

I have turned so many things off and on my phone, I'm not sure if I screwed something else up - my music player doesn't work with headphones. So I think I am just going to exchange just in case since I am in my 30 days. I do not feel like fighting this forever, and some do not have the issue.

My thanks again to everyone who jumped in and shared, I would never have found these issues, I was just disgusted. I'm knew, so what a way to learn Android!!

bevorules

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Media Hub itself is draining the battery nearly as much as the DRM. I got really good battery life yesterday (16 hours later, still at 35% with a good amount of usage), and I noticed that the Media Hub would try to restart itself.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I said DRM will NOT restart. Media hub will without DRM.

I don't understand. I thought it had been determined that it was the DRM service running every 11.5 seconds that was the problem. What does the Media Hub app itself do to consume power? It is not running constantly as a service.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the Media Hub itself is draining the battery nearly as much as the DRM. I got really good battery life yesterday (16 hours later, still at 35% with a good amount of usage), and I noticed that the Media Hub would try to restart itself.
True. They told me to close out media hub just to be sure the DRM stayed dormant. I have been having excellent battery life, I think even better than before the update. I plugged in last night still sitting at 64%, that was after being unplugged 19 hours. Right now I am at 73% after being off charge for 11 hours. No complaints here.

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand. I thought it had been determined that it was the DRM service running every 11.5 seconds that was the problem. What does the Media Hub app itself do to consume power? It is not running constantly as a service.
Just as a precautionary measure. It is DRM that is the killer. However, when you open a data channel other than 3G, media hub starts itself. They were unsure if within time, DRM would not restart too. I have personally not had an issue with DRM restarting but am just making sure. I am only repeating what I was told to do as an option. Everyone is free to do what they want. I am killing media hub after a wifi or 4G session. I like how it's working so far.

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I deleted media hub and I kill drm at boot. It does not restart.

After rebooting this morning and once again verifying the phone does sleep, 5 minutes ago something triggered my phone to once again stay awake. I then proceeded to kill every single program and running service but it still remained awake.

I just rebooted which solves the problem but only temporarily as I have found.

Bowa11

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Just as a precautionary measure. It is DRM that is the killer. However, when you open a data channel other than 3G, media hub starts itself. They were unsure if within time, DRM would not restart too. I have personally not had an issue with DRM restarting but am just making sure. I am only repeating what I was told to do as an option. Everyone is free to do what they want. I am killing media hub after a wifi or 4G session. I like how it's working so far.

I have had the same problems as you and your fixes worked to perfection. Thanks a lot for the updates and making me now 100% satisfied with my epic

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear it. All the thanks go to three Sprint engineers. Mark, Tim and Jose. I don't know their last names but the fact that they took a total of five hours of their time to dig through the entire system bit by bit to diagnose and come up with a fix. They were very attentive and interested in making it work as it is supposed to. Not knocking any other carrier but I can't really see that happening anywhere else. Also to the rep, Kathleen, (I think was her name), that contacted them in the first place, rather than just tossing me a battery or a new phone just to get me out the door.

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Alright...

I exchanged my epic for one of the same, the last one was having overheating problems but the battery wouldnt drain like the new one i received. also takes 3-4hrs to charge, which in my opinion is too long compared to the defective overheating one that only took about an hr and a half. They both had the update and I never took off the DRM thing. I have a feeling this is a Samsung battery issue. What do you guys think about this?
Also. the new phone's battery is only lasting about 4 hrs and thats was with no phone time, all of the wifi, bluetooth, 4g, and gps off. All i had used it for today was txt and google voice(more txt).

I believe battery issues. What do you?

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I exchanged my epic for one of the same, the last one was having overheating problems but the battery wouldnt drain like the new one i received. also takes 3-4hrs to charge, which in my opinion is too long compared to the defective overheating one that only took about an hr and a half. They both had the update and I never took off the DRM thing. I have a feeling this is a Samsung battery issue. What do you guys think about this?
Also. the new phone's battery is only lasting about 4 hrs and thats was with no phone time, all of the wifi, bluetooth, 4g, and gps off. All i had used it for today was txt and google voice(more txt).

I believe battery issues. What do you?
If it's a battery issue, killing DRM etc. fixed mine. I was draining so fast after the update, I was charging 2-3 times a day. I am almost at 15 hours fairly heavy use today and at 63% battery still. Good luck finding your issue. Maybe they will trade you out a 3rd.

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
If it's a battery issue, killing DRM etc. fixed mine. I was draining so fast after the update, I was charging 2-3 times a day. I am almost at 15 hours fairly heavy use today and at 63% battery still. Good luck finding your issue. Maybe they will trade you out a 3rd.

Q.
How long is yours taking you to charge?

JonOvalle

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Alright. Here goes the try. I killed the DRM and the DRMupdate thing. its 7:30 PM Easter Time. 100% blue LED. 3G connected everything that is WiFi, bluetooth, 4G, and GPS off.

Lets see the outcome. Wish me luck!

Guapo104

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I want to give Flynlow much credit for his finding on the DRM app and posting it on here.

I had posted before in another thread on my poor battery life, even after killing the DRM application, toggling between airplane mode, and making sure 4G/WiFi was off.

I took my phone yesterday to the Sprint corporate store, after calling tech support to document my issue with my phone battery and to setup an appointment at the store. They tested my phone and battery, and my phone test fine. My battery failed miserably. They gave me a new battery and were kind enough to call me, at my office, when my phone was ready for pick up. The battery was fully charged when I received my phone.

I am pleased to report that after closing Media Hub and DRM app, as well as toggling the airplane mode on and off, I now get well over 12hrs+ of moderate to heavy usage(phone calls, email, texts, web surf) on my battery.

So far today, I have been unplugged for 13hr 11min 35s and my battery stats are as follows;

Voice Calls: 67% - 2hr 7m 1s
Display: 22% - Time on 1h 47m 39s
Cell Standby: 5% with Time without signal at 3%
Phone Idle: 3%
Bluetooth: 2% - time on 7h 19m 39s

I now have 24% battery left.

So have your phone and BATTERY tested.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member