Is anyone's Epic actually sleeping?

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
It was thought to be the DRM which causes the battery drain. As others in that thread attested, the phone still kicks into caffeine mode and will not sleep regardless of if DRM is running or not (or Mediahub).

I have deleted DRM and anything associated with Mediahub and Sprint bloatware. Yet, the phone will "sleep" normally for hours then all of a sudden kick into caffeine mode.

I cannot figure out what is causing this. Battery life would be amazing if the phone didn't have this glitch. I remember with the Hero, this occurred when you sent a text. It was something simple like that.

So my question is, does anyone's Epic actually sleep as it's supposed to?

You can check this with a battery history app or spare parts for those wondering.

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
i'm really starting to get annoyed with this phone. i have no idea when its sleeping or not. there are way to many things to check to make sure that everythign is running correctly between the DRM stuff, the GPS stuff, the turning on and off of airplane mode, the hard keyboard that's missing presses. the one thing i thought was goign to drive me nuts, the capacitive buttons, is the only thing that hasn't given me an issue.

i've been using juice defender and been ok with the battery life on the phone but to be honest i'd rather not be using it. its a pain in the *** to wait for 3g to turn on when i want to use my phone

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I stopped running the DRM software and it did wonders for me. But for some reason, today the battery has not been very good.

So, I think there may be a problem with the phone sleeping. It further proves that when I go into battery information on the device and it tells me that my display has been using 79% of the battery. While on the Evo, it was always below 10%. I don't know about you, but I think that is one HUGE difference.

I don't know what's going on. I still really, really like my Epic. Much more than the Evo that I had for three months (I have a beef with HTC now. Their phones suck compared to this one, and i mean SUCK. Everything is lower quality except maybe the outer casing). And I do get better battery life with my Epic than I did with my Evo on 2.2. However, I want the same battery life that I got the day after I stopped running DRM. That was great.

I think I'm going to look into this sleep mode further. May be another reason that battery life is horrible after the update.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i'm really starting to get annoyed with this phone. i have no idea when its sleeping or not. there are way to many things to check to make sure that everythign is running correctly between the DRM stuff, the GPS stuff, the turning on and off of airplane mode, the hard keyboard that's missing presses. the one thing i thought was goign to drive me nuts, the capacitive buttons, is the only thing that hasn't given me an issue.

i've been using juice defender and been ok with the battery life on the phone but to be honest i'd rather not be using it. its a pain in the *** to wait for 3g to turn on when i want to use my phone

You know, I think you have a point, but I have learned that the less I worry about stuff, the happier I am with my device. I have read all of the things you are talking about, but I don'[t really notice them when I don't worry about them. The only one that caught my attention was the DRM stuff, and it helped a lot the day after I turned it off. But the airplane mode, GPS, keyboard issues... all of that is probably like the iPhone antenna issue: overblown and overrated.

I see now that all these issues are there, but I just use my phone as it is and I love it.

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
problem is i use my keyboard and gps all the time (or would like to) so its kind of hard to ignore. i just dropped my phone in the toilet though so its a moot point

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
problem is i use my keyboard and gps all the time (or would like to) so its kind of hard to ignore. i just dropped my phone in the toilet though so its a moot point

Oh wow. Haha. Sorry about that, really.

I was about to recommend *#1472365# to fix your GPS issue.

then setup>position mode>starting mode> cold (very useful sticky on this)

That might have helped. But I guess not anymore...

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
i actually tried that but it didnt' seem to help much... still takes forever to get a lock if it happens at all. i've got the phone in rice right now... we'll see how bad the damage is tomorrow

flynlow

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I stopped running the DRM software and it did wonders for me. But for some reason, today the battery has not been very good.

So, I think there may be a problem with the phone sleeping. It further proves that when I go into battery information on the device and it tells me that my display has been using 79% of the battery. While on the Evo, it was always below 10%. I don't know about you, but I think that is one HUGE difference.

I don't know what's going on. I still really, really like my Epic. Much more than the Evo that I had for three months (I have a beef with HTC now. Their phones suck compared to this one, and i mean SUCK. Everything is lower quality except maybe the outer casing). And I do get better battery life with my Epic than I did with my Evo on 2.2. However, I want the same battery life that I got the day after I stopped running DRM. That was great.

I think I'm going to look into this sleep mode further. May be another reason that battery life is horrible after the update.
Did you notice that after you reboot your phone, the screen will reset itself to the highest setting? One of the first things I noticed because my Evo did the exact same. I have to go in manually reduce brightness no matter what it was on before. Manual or auto. Maybe yours is the same?

BrianFX

May 29, 2010
Visit site
the hard keyboard that's missing presses.
Oh are others experiencing this too? I thought it was just me.. it's been driving me nuts.. My txts/emails are full of spelling mistakes yet I clearly pressed the correct keys while typing.

Meanwhile, I can't quite get a feeling for Swype or the other touch keyboards I've tried so far (stock & ThickButtons). Really missing my MotoQ9c when it comes to the text-entering department. :(

murso74

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh are others experiencing this too? I thought it was just me.. it's been driving me nuts.. My txts/emails are full of spelling mistakes yet I clearly pressed the correct keys while typing.

Meanwhile, I can't quite get a feeling for Swype or the other touch keyboards I've tried so far (stock & ThickButtons). Really missing my MotoQ9c when it comes to the text-entering department. :(

its a known issues... to be fair the on screen keyboard has been better then i had hoped but i'd have gotten a thinner phone if i hadn't wanted a physical keyboard

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Back to sleep, can you define the perimeters of what is sleep. I have all the Battery History but don't know what it all means.

Last week my Wifi was out of the roof. Shut down DRM and Media Hub,
helped temporarily. Hard reset today
Now it shows running at 19.9 and screen on 17.2
Cell Standby at 10%.

I don't know how to read these, but losing 7% plus an hour with light use.

This has to be fixed or I will give the phone back. Its just to frustrating, it was wonderful before the update, no battery issues at all.

SBT

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yup I had just conditioned my battery as well prior to the update, but now ever since then, I am back to barely getting 9-10 hours of light use on the phone (primarily just used for texting)

zeravla531

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Sleep is it's non-running time in Spare Parts' battery history.

So if you open spare parts and click battery history, the running time is it's "awake" time.

Normally it should be around 15%ish depending on how often you are using your phone.

When my phone is on for a while, something triggers it to constantly run and it goes from the normal 10-15% to 50 - 90% depending on how long i go without a reboot.

Princeps

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Insomnia

is what my phone apparently has - no sleeping, ever. I kill off DRM and Media Hub, but it makes no difference. I toggle the airplane mode in the morning, and my TWOS has dropped precipitously, but something is just running the battery down. Today I plucked it off the charger at 7:00AM, surfed the web via wifi for 10 minutes, and then basically shut it down at work (minus 20 minutes of 4G web surfing) for 10 hours. No wifi, no bluetooth, no 4G, no GPS. By 5PM it was at 30-something percent, despite having basically no use all day. I put it in airplane mode, and it still lost 5-6% per hour after that until I put it on the charger at 7PM. This is absurd, and it really dates back to the Sept. update.

p2flol

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised, my phone actually slept the entire time after killing mediahub download manager and DRM for the 8 hours I was at work, usually I have to restart the phone and re-kill the app a couple times a day to keep it sleeping.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I am monitoring and reading every post for ideas to get my wonderful battery life back from pre update.

I have shut down DRM and Media Hub, can't tell yet if this is happening.

However 2 other apps I don't use, or don't know what they are keep running - GTalkService and Sprint Hotspot. I'm presuming this is subscribed service.

Does anyone know what these are for, what they do, should be close, and if so does anything happen???

I have hardset my phone to get rid of conflicts and running minimum apps, not these. Handcent for messaging, don't know if its related to above.

My cell standby is running 28%.

My cell standby is still high, running 28% since yesterday. Nothing but 3G.

ericdives

Sep 18, 2010
ericdives.com
Looks like things are looking better today for me ... I was having the "no sleeping" issue but a power cycle seems to have fixed that.

nmoreman: In "Spare Parts":
  1. Battery history
  2. Choose "Other usage"
  3. I chose "Since last unplugged" - but nothing will show here if you've just restarted the phone with the phone plugged in
  4. One of the top bars should be "Running (xx.x%)"
  5. Click on that bar, and you should see "Time without sleeping:"
If "Running" (or time without sleeping) is exceptionally high and you can't explain it away (you've been playing games constantly, or have some setting somewhere that is keeping your phone awake), I suggest powering off and powering your phone back on, and then doing the "DRM/MediaHub" kill (the procedure being outlined elsewhere in other threads, but I added it to my "battery life" post on my blog, which is where that link goes).

Hopefully that will help issues significantly. Per flynlow (and my own experiences), MediaHub does tend to restart if your network connectivity goes through any kind of flux (roaming, switch to/from 4G/WiFi), but according to what he says, DRM is the big battery killer and nobody has seen that restart since killing after a power on.

Last edited:

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah according to Spare Parts my Epic has been running for 9.5 hours (all night). This is pretty insane. It went from about 80% to 50% doing nothing. DRM and all other miscellaneous services were shut down, AND the phone was in airplane mode as which really makes it crazy.

Last edited:

FallNAngel

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... the phone not sleeping also explains why it takes so freaking long for the phone to charge. I'm very anxious to see whether or not this new update helps the battery life or not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX