[How-To] Update to DI18 manually

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm really new to this. Do these files work in the same way as the zip files? ie: copy them to the root of the sd card, boot, run the update?

It sounds like you're looking for the procedure, which is in the first post:

OK, I have the file :) and I'm sharing!!!!

1. First, grab this file and place it in the root of your SD card.
2. make sure its named update.zip and nothing else. if its named something else like update1.zip, change it to update.zip
3. turn phone off
4. Hold down camera, volume down and press power.
5. Use volume down to select SDCard: update.zip
6. Press Home on the capacitive buttons to select.
7. Phone should automatically install and reboot.

Upload cap is definitely fixed. You MUST have DI07 installed for this to work.

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Got the proceedure for zip file updates :) Problem is these last files that were linked are .tar files. I believe they are full copies of the rom, suitable for flashing with odin. (don't quote me on that) LOL.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Got the proceedure for zip file updates :) Problem is these last files that were linked are .tar files. I believe they are full copies of the rom, suitable for flashing with odin. (don't quote me on that) LOL.

You're right, .tar files are for an Odin restore. A link to the .zip file is in the first step of the procedure.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes for DI18. My phone is still on DG17. So I need DG27 and DI07. Before I can install DI18

If the Samsung USB drivers are installed on your PC, you can do a fresh install of DI18 via a different method.

Grab this file

Follow this procedure

You can use apps in the market to backup your text messages if you'd like. It will wipe everything though. No need to update in order using this method.

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
If the Samsung USB drivers are installed on your PC, you can do a fresh install of DI18 via a different method.

Grab this file

Follow this procedure

You can use apps in the market to backup your text messages if you'd like. It will wipe everything though. No need to update in order using this method.

All that reportedly works. However, that DIY installation of the firmware is not without risk, and if you make a mistake and brick your phone you are dependent on Sprint's tender mercies to ignore the potential voiding of your warranty.

If you are not comfortable with those risks, the safe play is take the stock phone to a Sprint service center and insist that they update your phone for you. You still would be best advised to do your own backups first.

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went to the Sprint Lack of Service center today. After a two hour wait, the tech informed me, while on the phone with sprint, "The updates are on a phone by phone basis, and yours just hasn't come up yet. You'll just have to wait." Mind you, this update came out 9/30 (right?). Almost two months to wait for an update to push? I don't believe it. So, I swapped the phone (the back button was iffy) and the new one (only one in stock) had the same version DG17. I ask sprint, how long I should wait, and they tell me it all depends on how many units there are out there. I ask if they will replace with a new unit if it doesn't update before my 30 days are up and I was met with silence. I have a bad feeling about this, but I will wait. OH! The sprint rep also tells me, "Well, it's a pretty big file, so make sure your on 4g or Wi-Fi as much as possible." LOL the whole rom is only 258 meg if memory serves. Wondering if the grass is greener on the EVO side. Just want to say thanks for all the help with this guys, it's nice to know there's a place you can go.:)

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went to the Sprint Lack of Service center today. After a two hour wait, the tech informed me, while on the phone with sprint, "The updates are on a phone by phone basis, and yours just hasn't come up yet. You'll just have to wait." Mind you, this update came out 9/30 (right?). Almost two months to wait for an update to push? I don't believe it. So, I swapped the phone (the back button was iffy) and the new one (only one in stock) had the same version DG17. I ask sprint, how long I should wait, and they tell me it all depends on how many units there are out there. I ask if they will replace with a new unit if it doesn't update before my 30 days are up and I was met with silence. I have a bad feeling about this, but I will wait. OH! The sprint rep also tells me, "Well, it's a pretty big file, so make sure your on 4g or Wi-Fi as much as possible." LOL the whole rom is only 258 meg if memory serves. Wondering if the grass is greener on the EVO side. Just want to say thanks for all the help with this guys, it's nice to know there's a place you can go.:)

One trick that helped some people accelerate the download of OTA updates last cycle was to open the Market app and try downloading some app, any app. They reported that this action triggered a the firmware update.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Done that as well.Downloaded MANY apps. LOL Murphy's got it in for me.

You need to take your phone into a service center and get it installed manually there, or you do it yourself at home.

Manually:

If you have a 64-bit OS, download these drivers

To get the drivers to work properly:
1. Unzip the file
2. Run Setup as Administrator (right click).

Reactions: KC2UUZ

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
@ Andrew I was at the sprint Service center, and they told me I'd have to wait for it to push. When I exclaimed that it had already been a month since the release they said, oh well, just wait.. LOL. Thus my frustration. I'm just not ready to root the phone yet, or I would go ahead and do it. I don't know enough to trust myself.. LOL. AndAlas Im running a 32 bit system. But Thanks.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
@ Andrew I was at the sprint Service center, and they told me I'd have to wait for it to push. When I exclaimed that it had already been a month since the release they said, oh well, just wait.. LOL. Thus my frustration. I'm just not ready to root the phone yet, or I would go ahead and do it. I don't know enough to trust myself.. LOL. AndAlas Im running a 32 bit system. But Thanks.

This isn't root. This is a complete fresh install of the stock ROM.

Here are the 32-bit drivers:
Samsung_Mobile_Driver_V1.3.800_For_SPH-d700_Epic_4G.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Reactions: KC2UUZ

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
That. Would be sweet! Now I'm having some sort of problem with the marketplace. it wont let me download apps while on 3g. ONLY on wi-fi. So Yea. Im gonna do this, once I get it figured out.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
YES YES YES!!!!! It worked!! Took me long enough, but I'm DI18!! WOOHOO!!!!:D:D:D:D................LOL

Having the new phone now, I'm back to your shoes... its like we traded! I'm on DG27. I asked the guy in the repair center if he could update it, and he said they haven't received any over the wire updates in the store. That really sucks for anyone buying the phone now and its on a previous release, cause the OTA is really blowing.

KC2UUZ

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes, But Im sure, by the time you read this reply you'll be flashed to Dg18. LOL. I just find it extremely humorous that we, as end users, have more information, technical know how, and access to what we need, than the Tech's and Reps at the centers. LONG LIVE THE INTERNETZ!!!! LOL Thanks again, Andrew, for all the help along the way.

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Andrew (or anyone else) - If you are on a DI18 custom ROM and a new update comes out or 2.2 (god forbid), can you just flash a new custom ROM based on the new kernel, or do you have to flash the kernel first and then you can update the ROM?

In other words, if I had been on DI07, could I flash a custom ROM based on DI18 and would it work? Or would I have to flash to DI18 first and then flash a DI18 based ROM?

The first two times I updated, had to flash back to Sprint stock because of bloatware verification and trying to avoid that again...

Thx for any info... -A

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
For anything official, you will need to flash back to stock. It appears that sprint updates will from now on do a preliminary check to see if all their crapware is installed. It is highly recommended though if you are running a di07 based rom to update it to di18 radio before flashing a di18 rom. There are di18 updates on xda for non-stock roms (removes this preliminary check but flashes radio and other goodies)

Status
Not open for further replies.