Epic 4G Issues: Slow Email and Google Calendar Problems

Writermind

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Loving my Epic 4G, but hating how excruciatingly slow the email is! Coming to the Epic from an Evo where I noticed the email retrievals were automatic and lickety split. Expected to have that same ease of use on the Epic, but this has not been the case.

I have four email accounts set up through the Epic. (2 hotmail, 1 Yahoo! and 1 Gmail) One hotmail is my primary email account and is set up to check for new email as often as the device will allow, which is every 5 minutes. The others all check for email anywhere from every 10 minutes to every 1 hour.

The auto sync box is also checked.

Here's my problem:

If I wait for the Epic to alert me that it has new email for me, I can go as long as two days before it will do so and this is on the account where it is supposed to check every 10 minutes!

The other email accounts set up to check every 10 minutes or every 1 hour don't ever alert me that I have any new email, no matter how much time passes.

Now, I can open the email and look at the combined view for all email accounts and sometimes it will actually show me the new emails, but most often it won't show me anything. I will have to back out of the combined view and click into each email box separately in order to get it to show me new email. Interestingly enough, I have had it regularly not show me any new emails after I check individual email boxes, but wait until I closed the email application to alert me I had new emails after all!

It's very frustrating and actually a feature which I would have thought would have been no problem whatsoever for an advanced device like the Epic to handle.

I have toyed with settings via my computer for all web mail accounts and verified that my phone is linked to the web mail accounts, but nothing seems to speed up the time which it takes to be alerted of email.

As an experiment, I just sent myself a test email from my Gmail account to my Hotmail account. I've verified the email is in the Hotmail inbox via my laptop, but have not opened the email. It has thus far been about 2 hours and my Epic has yet to notify me I have a new email from my gmail account! I just think that's unacceptable no matter how you slice it.

Additionally, I was dismayed to learn neither the Epic or Evo seemed to come with a very good calendar option for remembering tasks and things to do lists. The Pre's calendar was as good as I have ever seen it done, but I hoped for basic calendar functionality via tasks at the very least. I have downloaded more than a half a dozen calendar/reminder apps from the Android Market and none seem to work 100% of the time. Astrid worked great about 30% of the time, the rest of the time, it didn't do so good. lol I also had sporadic behavior with Pure Calendar and a host of others. I finally resorted to using Google Calendar which I was told was rock solid. It worked great for 3 days and then I noticed no matter how many tasks I entered into the online calendar, I would get an email each morning from Google Calendar saying I had no tasks scheduled on this day. I can go to my online calendar and see a whole host of tasks which I have entered, but the email on my phone says nothing of the sort! Again, very frustrating!

Can anyone advise or offer me assistance in this matter? Thank you in advance.

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you running a task killer? I thought I was never getting e-mails either until I realized that I needed to exclude gmail from the auto kill list....

Writermind

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I was using the task killer which ships on the launcher config the device has when you get it.

I'm toying with Launcher Pro now and it doesn't have that task killer available.

Funny, I did notice no matter what I opened on the device, if I went to that task killer, it would show that program open and running long after I closed it. I remember thinking so much for what they say about Android knowing what needs to be open or closed.

I'm still not getting email notifications regularly though.

I tried to use the email icon to let me access all my email boxes same as on the shipped install, but it won't do that. It'll only let me route one email icon per email box which is kinda silly to me.

I've seen various sample configs of Launcher Pro where the email box even shows the number of new emails waiting, but as you can imagine, I hadn't been able to get my device to follow suit.

It could be that these features are only available in the paid version though. I'm thus far unable to tell. Can anyone confirm?

As a relatively new Android convert I can saw one of the things which is desperately needed for newbies is good, solid, reliable documentation reference what programs and apps do and how to use them.

Android Central does a lot to take steps in that direction which is why I came here first.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I was using the task killer which ships on the launcher config the device has when you get it.

I'm toying with Launcher Pro now and it doesn't have that task killer available.

Launcher Pro DOES have the task killer available... it just does not have the widget... trust me, I miss the widget TONS since I recently made the switch... but to access it, just long press the home key to bring up your recently used (or running) apps and the task manager is selectable there... life saver for me since I used it (or at least monitored it) all the time! Good luck!

BygXexy

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you've gotten your issue resolved or not, if not this only works for Gmail. Also, you have to set separately (or individually) for each Gmail account you have. But you can go to your account and then go to "Settings" then scroll to the bottom and you'll see "Notify Once". If that is checked then you'll only get notified for the first message that comes to that account. If you want a notification for each message, uncheck it.

Hope this helps. :D

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
use imap not pop, or if available use the "exchange services" I think gmail will mimick exchange active sync now as well? I think. maybe not..

pop is for 1990, and they called wanting it back for all the aol users.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12