Former Evo users: Are the Epic's touch buttons just not as good as the Evo's?

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
The Epic has clearly had some issues with the responsiveness of its capacitive touch buttons.

I'm a former Evo user, and the touch buttons on there worked extremely well, in my opinion.

So I'm wondering, has anybody used an Epic that has touch buttons that are as responsive/accurate as the Evo's?

My big question is if ALL Epics are simply not as responsive as the Evos.

For instance, oftentimes the phone will not register a hit, particularly on the menu (left-most) button. I can't recall this ever happening on the Evo.

I'm hoping that I have a lemon, which Sprint will replace, and that all Epics aren't like this. But, this is the second Epic I've owned, and both have had some issues with the touch buttons.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I had several EVO's before returning them. However, I have had very few problems with the samsung buttons. If anything, I think, the samsung buttons just require a more sure touch so that you do inadvertently hit them. When I hit a samsung button I know I am hitting that button for a reason, and imo they are as good if not better.

How about that screen huh?
The games that play on it?
The physical keyboard?

I can go on and on, but I really do enjoy the phone.

rom x

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
i kinda agree with scheets973 i have both an evo and an epic on my acct. i have the evo my son has the epic. and i have used the epic for days at a time. and the buttons do seem to have just the amout pressure needed on the epic. were as the evo is always onpening up that darn search button. the buttons on the evo seem to sensitive jmo.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
That's good to know, downsouth. Perhaps mine are just a little screwed up.

Has anyone had experience swapping their Epics with sketchy touch buttons for ones that work flawlessly?

bfguns

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
3rd epic and i have WORKING buttons!
What convinced the rep at sprint?

Do this: lock your phone so you get the unlock screen. each time you tap it, it turns blue. when you hit a cap. button, it flashes.

When i had a sprint rep watch me, i was able to make the blue unlock button change color EVERY time i tapped it while the cap. buttons missed on average 2-3 times out of every 10 hits.

that was enough to warrant my case for a replacement. Do this if they give you any trouble. :D

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that they malfunction, I just think they are less sensitive than evo. On my evo, I barely have to touch them, giving me a few accidental presses. On the epic, I don't touch them, I press them.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, bottom line is if you press the key and nothing happens then you have an issue. But if you press them firmly and they work-- then you are in business!

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I too am on my third Epic. I went thru three of these babies during launch week. My Epic's touch buttons are money as well...now. I can't really recall using the EVO or better yet recall its functioning buttons but none the less I am more than happy with my Epic.

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
That's encouraging! :) Thanks for the info! I think a call to Sprint is in order.

Oh -- is there any way to ensure getting a new phone versus a refurbished unit? Or is it just kind of a roll of the dice?

Palm-a-PREciation

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't own either one, but I've been playing with both in the Sprint store, and my opinion was the buttons on the Epic were better (maybe it was just the way the store had them set up, but the Epic "buzzed" when you touched a key, which I liked because then I knew I touched it right, where the Evo didn't, I had a much more difficult time typing on the Evo.

scheets973

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Why would they give you a refurbished unit? You can't insure if you are using the insurance but most likley it will be new right now

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'll never leave the Evo again (sorry Epic), but from my almost 1 month experience with it, I must say that the buttons definitely did their job. Although, I disagree about the Evo's cap. buttons being too sensitive, I can say that the Epic has some mighty fine response.

_Bak_

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I've had 2 epics and both have been very responsive and reliable, sometimes hovering just over the button is enough...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair