Welcome to the Samsung Epic 4G! Please introduce yourselves here.

dmlee

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I grabbed my Epic on Launch Day, and I joined here shortly after. I'm also switching over from a Pre. (May it rest in peace.) I loved and still love that little device.

The AC community is nice, and it is better than I had hoped. Since there is hardly any fragmentation on the Pre the community could be a little more tightnit, but I think we Epic users are on the right path!

TCD

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
So my name is Lauren, and the Epic is my 3rd Samsung device; though the first one running something besides WinCE/WinMO.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with it since I've been a Slackware user since 1995. I'm running rooted with DI18 firmware, waiting impatiently for Android 2.2 to release.

Aside from an issue with my first Epic (had it a day) rebooting every hour, I've been very happy with the phone. I deliberately waited for the Epic to release to upgrade to a 4g device based on my prior satisfaction with Samsung.

I rarely carry my laptop anymore when traveling, my Epic is setup with all my mail accounts, remote desktop support, wireless tether, ATK, and battery minder pro currently. Not running a custom kernel currently, though I may change that after 2.2 is out. Battery life is generally better than I expected, I'm averaging about 6 hours most of the time. Best I've done is about 22 hours, worst was 2 1/2 hours. Tethering 4g rocks, but is killer on the battery.

NYBKPRE

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up my Epic yesterday. Wow I never knew how dull or how small my Pre screen really was until I held it up to the Epic. I'm loving this phone already

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm Randy, and I bought my first Epic at the end of August. My wife was with me looking to maybe get the Intercept but liked the Epic too, so we both got one. It was our first Android. I had a Blackberry once (work supplied), so I liked the keyboard, but now I use Swype almost all the time...my wife still likes the physical keyboard. We both love the phone, though I've had once replacement and she has had 2 replacements (both of our first Epics 4G on stopped working and her replacement would not send or receive anything while roaming). I like this forum and usually check it every day.

whatev

Nov 3, 2010
twitter.com
Hey everybody!! I've been a 3 year iPhone user, but like an idiot I lost the damn thing last weekend. I'm buying an Epic this weekend ... will be my first Android experience.

I did jailbreak and hack quite a bit on my iPhone 3G, but I realize that Android is a very different beast. I have a lot to learn, and really look forward to tooling around with my device. If anyone can direct me to a a good intro thread for newbies to the platform like me, it would be much appreciated!

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much this whole forum is good for newbies. Just do a search on the topic you are looking for. First I would review all the Stickys at the top on battery issues and such.

sshorkey#AC

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I have been a member of this forum for 10 minutes. Been lurking a while though.

I will have an Epic some time today when the UPS man gets here.
No Android experience at all though I am technologically inclined.
Lots to learn.

Currently have a Palm Treo Pro WinMo 6.1. Phone makes me crazy as it locks up on every website I go to.

Take care. I have a lot to learn.
Stephen

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Welcome everyone! And thanks for posting in our welcome thread. I look forward to seeing more posts and threads from all of you :D

difrent7

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys and gals I got my Epic yesterday from best buy. I had a HTC Hero and was tempted to go with the Evo but sense doesn't really wow me anymore. This phone is great i have no issues at all. Will definitely be rooting and having some fun with it soon =D

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations on your new phone :) I'm sure you'll make a smooth transition to the Epic - let us know if you need any help.

bangera

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi

New to this forum. I like my Epic 4G but am having trouble getting some functions that were built in to MotoQ (I know old stuff:)).

1. MotoQ used to have an obnoxious calendar notification that always made sure I paid attention and would only go away when I dismissed. This was fantastic. I cant seem to get that set up with Epic. I saw some discussion in the forums (fora?) about missing the "More" on the settings list and I don't have that "more" on my settings list either.

2. Using voice dialer with my bluetooth headset (Motoroal H721). When I just press the action button on my headset once nothing happens but when I hold it down it dials the last number. I dont get the voice asking whom I want to call.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for your help
GB

j_benj#AC

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Had my Epic for about a week now and I love it. I switched over from the Palm Pre for a while until HP gets around to releasing some decent hardware for webOS. Getting my feet wet with Android, very impressed so far. Haven't tried anything too daunting yet, installed a new launcher and disabled TouchWiz.. got some nice widgets from the market and set up some convenient homescreens :)

Anyone have any advice for an Android newb? I don't know if I'm going to try rooting or not, kinda nervous about it.

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
just got my Epic today... and I think that i got it rooted. Titainium Pro was able to install but i cant find a one click type button to backup everything all at once rather it makes me back up each item one by one. is that normal?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
@bangera
For #1, when you create an event in your Google calendar you can have an e-mail sent to you a specified amount of time before that event. Works pretty well for me.

@j_benj
Take a look at this: Should I root my phone?

@dualcore1.5ghz
When you're in Titanium Backup, press the menu button on your phone and tap "Batch" - there will be an option to backup all apps and data at once.

@all
Welcome! :D

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi Epic-ers!
I switched over to this beautiful phone on the day it came out and I have been enjoying it ever since. I hope you all do the same.

I just found this site and decided to join. So here I am :)

Butters3605

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Had my Epic for about a week now and I love it. I switched over from the Palm Pre for a while until HP gets around to releasing some decent hardware for webOS.

I also came from a Sprint Pre(-), still have it. Gonna hang on to it and mess around with webOS 2.0. So Far I am pretty impressed with the EPIC, I find that Android is not as bad as the "other" guys seemed to make it out to be.

I feel that it may not be as intuitive as webOS, but it has all the same functions. Just a different learning curve to find out how to access and use them.

GardnerGrad

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Loving my Samsung Epic 4G???

I purchased the EPIC last Friday after being a blackberry and HTC person for years. I really like most of the features I know about; hoever, there is a huge learning curve with this phone. I have never really had a problem understanding how to operate a phone. THAT WAS BEFORE I PURCHASED THIS ONE!!!

With this phone, I am having major problems adding my corpoate email to my phone. It took me less than 2 minutes to add it with my Blackberry. I keep getting the message: Setup could not finish..unable to connect to the network..Will Outlook not work with this phone or amI doing something wrong?? Has anyone else had this problem??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1